Kym

A newbie with timing concerns!

109 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I am new to this site, found it out of desperation...trying to find answers to some of my questions.

I am a US citizen and my fiance is coming over from Australia. We filed our petition back in June, 06 and our first notice date was on July 17, 2006. (Ours is at the California Service Center) We were assured by our immigration lawyer that we should have all this taken care of in no more than 6 months and he would be here in the states with me. So with that information, we thought an April wedding would be perfect. We have planned for a pretty big wedding on April 21, 2007. Yet, we have heard nothing! I have not received the second notice and once we do, we will still need to wait on everything to be done in Australia. Paperwork, interview, etc. I check the USCIS site daily for some updated info. The last 'touch' date shows Oct. 2006.

I have read several timelines on this site from different members and it sure doesn't seem that any of the others have taken this long. Can anyone tell me if this timing seems a bit abnormal (we can not seem to get any info out of our lawyer, either)? Has anyone else had to wait this long?

My biggest fear is that I will be standing at the altar without a groom. We have talked about rescheduling our wedding plans but we will loose a lot of money from venders with deposits and so much work will be lost. (Or if we just move the date back with all of our venders, they are so booked up now, it would be the end of 2007 or even 2008) I do feel we are close since the date for the I-129F on the USCIS site is July 17 (our date). But even if we are notified and things are sent to the American Embassy in Sydney in the next couple of weeks, I still don't know if we will have enough time to get him here by April.

This has been the most stressful thing ever. If anyone has any suggestions for me, words of wisdom, or comments, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you,

Kym

:help:

Aug. 2001 - met online playing trivia

May 2006 - engaged

06-12-06 - Met with lawyer, filed for a K-1 visa

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

01-29-07 - Found out from USCIS that my lawyer had filed at the wrong service center and nothing has been processed.

02-08-07 - Found out that our petition had been closed back in Oct. 2006. No one was ever notified of this from USCIS

02-09-07 - Began gathering paperwork once again to start all over. Started cancelling our wedding plans

02-20-07 - Filed for a K-1 visa once again

02-27-07 - NOA1

04-21-07 - Originally planned wedding date (had to cancel) :(

05-22-07 - Touched

06-01-07 - Granted a Congressional Inquiry!

06-15-07 - NVC received our approved I-129F petition (I never received an NOA2 via email or snail mail). We are just so HAPPY to finally move on!

06-25-07 - Packet 3 received (but it was rec'd by our lawyer, she has forwarded it on to my fiance in Australia)

06-28-07 - Fiance rec'd Packet 3

06-30-07 - Finally rec'd NOA2 via snail mail. It is dated June 25, same day as Packet 3 was rec'd.

07-05-07 - Mailed back form letter DSL-1076 (Applicant's Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed).

07-05-07 - Just waiting now in hopes of an interview date before APEC

07-13-07 - Received Packet 4

07-30-07 - Interview!!!! - APPROVED!

09-01-07 - Fiance arrives in the USA!

10-06-07 - Getting Married

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

If they are beyond your processing dates, you can contact your senator for assistance. Its good that there are touches and no notiecs that an RFE was sent.

Also, what about this lawyer thats supposed to be helping you? Or he just took your money and won't help anymore???

I am sorry you're having such a long wait!

Good luck!

Edited by julezabelle

I am new to this site, found it out of desperation...trying to find answers to some of my questions.

I am a US citizen and my fiance is coming over from Australia. We filed our petition back in June, 06 and our first notice date was on July 17, 2006. (Ours is at the California Service Center) We were assured by our immigration lawyer that we should have all this taken care of in no more than 6 months and he would be here in the states with me. So with that information, we thought an April wedding would be perfect. We have planned for a pretty big wedding on April 21, 2007. Yet, we have heard nothing! I have not received the second notice and once we do, we will still need to wait on everything to be done in Australia. Paperwork, interview, etc. I check the USCIS site daily for some updated info. The last 'touch' date shows Oct. 2006.

I have read several timelines on this site from different members and it sure doesn't seem that any of the others have taken this long. Can anyone tell me if this timing seems a bit abnormal (we can not seem to get any info out of our lawyer, either)? Has anyone else had to wait this long?

My biggest fear is that I will be standing at the altar without a groom. We have talked about rescheduling our wedding plans but we will loose a lot of money from venders with deposits and so much work will be lost. (Or if we just move the date back with all of our venders, they are so booked up now, it would be the end of 2007 or even 2008) I do feel we are close since the date for the I-129F on the USCIS site is July 17 (our date). But even if we are notified and things are sent to the American Embassy in Sydney in the next couple of weeks, I still don't know if we will have enough time to get him here by April.

This has been the most stressful thing ever. If anyone has any suggestions for me, words of wisdom, or comments, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you,

Kym

Wow Kym, i'm not familiar with Aussie timelines but sounds like a awful long time to wait for a NOA2. Sorry for your troubles. I highly suggest that YOU call your service center and acquire about the application. Many people get lawyers because they have legal issues, feel overwhelmed with the paperwork or don't have the time. In my opinion, even if you choose a lawyer, that it is important to understand the process. There are many folks on this forum who have complained about incompetent lawyers ( i'm not suggesting your lawyer is incompetent but just making a comment ). Anyway, I suggest you call and find out what is the status of your application. Good luck and I wish you good fortune. Hang in there! One day the two of you will look back and laugh at these times.

Tony

Edited by TonyS

11/28/06 Received NOA1 from VSC by snail mail

12/05/06 Touched

12/21/06 Received email notification of approval! NOA2

12/28/06 Received NOA2 from VSC by snail mail

12/27/06 NVC received I-129F

12/28/06 NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

01/02/07 Package arrive in Bogota

01/09/07 Faxed/mailed "shortcut"

01/11/07 Fiancee received Package 3 by mail

01/26/07 Interview date set for 2/26/07

01/30/07 Fiancee received Package 4

02/26/07 Interview is successful

02/27/07 Fiancee received Visa

03/15/07 Arrived in New York!

05/26/07 Married in Orlando!

AOS

06/28/07 Mailed AOS package

06/30/07 Received in Chicago

07/12/07 AOS application check cashed

07/14/07 Received NOA for AOS

07/16/07 Received snail mail notice of Biometric date of 08/02/07

08/02/07 Biometrics

09/07/07 Online notice that EAD card ordered

09/18/07 Received EAD card in the mail

08/03/08 Finally able to view case online

08/16/08 Received notice for second biometrics

09/10/08 Received notice for AOS interview on 09/16/08

09/16/08 AOS APROVED!!!!!

09/29/08 CG arrived in the mail.

07/15/10 Mailed package for lifting conditions.

07/23/10 Received NOA for lifting conditions

07/28/10 Received notice of biometric appointment for

August 11,2010.

Your time line is similar to ours at CSC. You should have received your NOA2 between Sept and Oct. Start calling today. The touch in Oct may have been when it was forwarded to the NVC then the Embassy in Australia. Call the USCIS, the NVC and the AMEMBASSY in Australia. Ken & Maria

Thank you,

Kym

"Better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!"

Timeline:

22 Jul 06 - Received NOA-1

18 Sep 06 - Received NOA2 in mail

11 Oct 06 - Case MNL783xxx received by Manila Embassy... guess NVC lied

26 Dec 06 - Received Packet 4

18-19 Jan 07 - Medical complete early, scheduled 8 Feb

19 Jan - CFO completed after SLE shots... have to go back for the stamp after visa approval

15 Feb 07 - Interview Approved

24 Feb 07 - Arrive at Honolulu POE

2 Apr 07 - Married, civil ceremony, mailed AOS

17 Apr 07 - Checks cashed for AOS & AP

22 Apr 07 - Filed Expedite for AP

8 May 07 - Biometrics Appt

8 May 07 - Filed complaint with local USCIS for no action on Expedite request

9 May 07 - AP Expedite approved via email

14 May 07 - received AP I-512L documents in the mail

25 Jun 07 - AOS Interview scheduled but cancelled due to deployment and family emergency

29 Nov 07 - Visited local USCIS to reschedule AOS interview

15 Jan 08 - Local USCIS finally forwards reschedule request after formal complaint

8 Feb 08 - Received new Interview date

28 Mar 08 - AOS Interview ..investigation reopened due to incorrect birthdate that was identified 05/07

16 Apr 08 - CRIS Notice of GC approval and welcome notice via email

25 Apr 08 - GC received finally!

15 Jan 10 - Mailed Lifting of Conditions Package

19 Jan 10 - Package received at VT USCIS

22 Jan 10 - Checked cashed by USCIS

26 Jan 10 - Received NOA dated 20 Jan 10

29 Jan 10 - Received NOA for Biometrics

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I also filed in June, 2006 and only got an approval January 23, although there were serious delays due to a lost RFE. My case was actually closed and then re-opened. My advise for you will be to keep calling USCIS until you are able to speak with an immigration officer that can give you the real status of your case (not the call centre guys).

May 19, 2006 - Mailed I-129 to NSC (from Nigeria)

June 5, 2006 - NSC received application

June 9, 2006 - Check cleared

June 23, 2006 - USCIS sent RFE

August 4, 2007 - Called USCIS for receipt #

August 14, 2007 - Cousin forwarded RFE

August 21, 2007 - Received RFE from Cousin

August 22, 2007 - Mailed back RFE to CSC - from Nigeria

Received no acknowledgment of receipt of RFE. Mail may have been lost or stolen. Called USCIS twice and they could not confirm receipt.

September 25, 2006 - Case was closed (RFE not received)

November 24, 2006 - Called CSC (Case re-opened, IMBRA RFE to be re-sent)

December 1, 2006 - CSC resends IMBRA RFE to USA address

December 11, 2006 - Had IMBRA RFE couriered from USA

December 28, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE in Africa (severely delayed by holiday season)

January 6, 2007 - Mailed back IMBRA RFE

January 16, 2007 - Touched (CSC acknowledges receipt of RFE)

January 23, 2007 - NOA2 sent

July 17, 2007 - Scheduled Interview date

September 21, 2007 - Submitted I-601 waiver application

Your attorney made a mistake in assuring you of any sort of timeline whatsoever. The advice always given here is never to plan anything until you have a via in-hand. Realistically, that's not always possible, but any planning is always risky.

Now that you've made plans, you're in a very stressful situation. Start following up as suggested and develop a Plan B if April does not work out.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

First of all I wanted to thank everyone for their response. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to ask questions and actually get some answers and suggestions on how to proceed. We (my fiance and myself) have felt in the dark for months now, not knowing what to do.

We honestly did not know what we were doing when we first started this whole process, I thought our only option was to hire an immigration lawyer to get the ball rolling. A decision in which we have both been very disappointed.

I have tried calling the Customer Service number listed on the USCIS website several times and I only receive a recording telling me the same information that is on their website. Can anyone help me out with a number to reach an actual person and not a recording? I am ready to start trying to contact someone asap, thanks to the advice I have rec'd. One of you also suggested that I call the NVC, can you please tell me what that is and how I can get in touch with them?

Many thanks in advance,

Kym & Darryl

Your time line is similar to ours at CSC. You should have received your NOA2 between Sept and Oct. Start calling today. The touch in Oct may have been when it was forwarded to the NVC then the Embassy in Australia. Call the USCIS, the NVC and the AMEMBASSY in Australia. Ken & Maria

Thank you,

Kym

First of all I wanted to thank everyone for their response. I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to ask questions and actually get some answers and suggestions on how to proceed. We (my fiance and myself) have felt in the dark for months now, not knowing what to do.

We honestly did not know what we were doing when we first started this whole process, I thought our only option was to hire an immigration lawyer to get the ball rolling. A decision in which we have both been very disappointed.

I have tried calling the Customer Service number listed on the USCIS website several times and I only receive a recording telling me the same information that is on their website. Can anyone help me out with a number to reach an actual person and not a recording? I am ready to start trying to contact someone asap, thanks to the advice I have rec'd. One of you also suggested that I call the NVC, can you please tell me what that is and how I can get in touch with them?

Many thanks in advance,

Kym & Darryl

May 2006 - engaged

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

01-29-07 - Found out from USCIS that my lawyer had filed at the wrong service center and nothing has been processed.

02-08-07 - Found out that our petition had been closed back in Oct. 2006. No one was ever notified of this from USCIS

02-09-07 - Began gathering paperwork once again to start all over. Started cancelling our wedding plans

02-27-07 - NOA1

05-22-07 - Touched

06-15-07 - NVC received our approved I-129F petition (I never received an NOA2 via email or snail mail). We are just so HAPPY to finally move on!

06-25-07 - Packet 3 received (but it was rec'd by our lawyer, she has forwarded it on to my fiance in Australia)

06-30-07 - Finally rec'd NOA2 via snail mail. It is dated June 25, same day as Packet 3 was rec'd.

07-05-07 - Mailed back form letter DSL-1076 (Applicant's Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed).

You're not the first person here to be disappointed with their decision to use an attorney....

The number for the NVC is 603-334-0700 option 1, then option 5.

Don't delay!!

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good luck!

There a ton of Aussie/American couples in the Regional Forums (Asia...Australia). Come on in and chat with us! They can help answer your questions as well!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Timeline

I have taken everyone's advice and immediately began making phone calls.

I am somewhat devasted by my findings, but it is certainly better than the "not knowing". At least now I know that we need to start cancelling all the many wedding plans we have already completed.

Come find out my dumba** (can I say that on here) of a lawyer filed my I-129F petition at the National Benefits Center, which is where my paperwork still remains. We are applying for a K-1 visa since we are not yet married and in order to file at the National Benefits Center, you would need to be applying for a K-3/K-4 visa. Ours should have been filed at the Nebraska Service Center.

I then contacted my lawyer's office and they insisted that I was misinformed and the National Benefits Center indeed is the correct place to file my petition. For me not to worry. I even told them that on the USCIS website if you go into the processing dates for the National Benefits Center, it lists the I-129F petition for the K-3/K-4 visas only. No where does it list a K-1 visa. Once again, they assured me that it was filed correctly but she would have my lawyer return my call as soon as he is available. I was speaking to an assistant and I am still waiting on his phone call, although at this point, I have been so emotional over this, I'm not so sure I could compose myself well enough right now to speak to him.

Since I already had very little faith in my lawyer anyway, I then decided to call the NCSC back just to double check the original info I was given. Sure enough, I spoke to someone different and given the exact some info. He even looked into my case a little further. I then filed a claim with them to have my case transfered to the Nebraska Service Center where it should have been sent in the first place. I have no idea how long this will take. I now get to start all over! I have a claim number and if I do not hear anything from them within 45 days, I am to check back.

I have not yet spoken to my fiance about any of this because of our time differences, he's been asleep. I'm sure he is going to be just as disappointed and devasted as I have been. My suggestion to him is going to be for us to cancel everything and not reschedule the "big" wedding plans. When he finally does get to come to the USA, have a very small ceremony and call it a day. (Take a great honeymoon though)! I have a beautiful wedding dress and veil, decorations, bridesmaid dress, flowergirl dresses, not to mention our deposits with venders, etc etc etc. Sell what I can on ebay and what I can't, take the loss. I think I am about drained dry of tears and my feelings are now beginning to turn to anger. I'm sure this will pass soon and I just need a few stressfree days...sometime soon would be nice.

Thanks again to everyone. Although this has turned into a very chaotic day for me, at least now I know!

Kym

:crying:

May 2006 - engaged

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

02-27-07 - NOA1

05-22-07 - Touched

Timeline
Good luck!

There a ton of Aussie/American couples in the Regional Forums (Asia...Australia). Come on in and chat with us! They can help answer your questions as well!

This is a live chat forum? I have tried finding this but have not had any luck. Can you help direct me there?

May 2006 - engaged

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

02-27-07 - NOA1

05-22-07 - Touched

Oh my God, what a nightmare. I am SO sorry for you. I hope you have some recourse with that attorney - I hope you haven't paid him/her yet (although, based on my experience, you probably paid it all up front, just like I did... never again).

Good luck - please let us know how things are going.

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Good luck!

This is a live chat forum? I have tried finding this but have not had any luck. Can you help direct me there?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=90

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I have taken everyone's advice and immediately began making phone calls.

I am somewhat devasted by my findings, but it is certainly better than the "not knowing". At least now I know that we need to start cancelling all the many wedding plans we have already completed.

Come find out my dumba** (can I say that on here) of a lawyer filed my I-129F petition at the National Benefits Center, which is where my paperwork still remains. We are applying for a K-1 visa since we are not yet married and in order to file at the National Benefits Center, you would need to be applying for a K-3/K-4 visa. Ours should have been filed at the Nebraska Service Center.

I then contacted my lawyer's office and they insisted that I was misinformed and the National Benefits Center indeed is the correct place to file my petition. For me not to worry. I even told them that on the USCIS website if you go into the processing dates for the National Benefits Center, it lists the I-129F petition for the K-3/K-4 visas only. No where does it list a K-1 visa. Once again, they assured me that it was filed correctly but she would have my lawyer return my call as soon as he is available. I was speaking to an assistant and I am still waiting on his phone call, although at this point, I have been so emotional over this, I'm not so sure I could compose myself well enough right now to speak to him.

Since I already had very little faith in my lawyer anyway, I then decided to call the NCSC back just to double check the original info I was given. Sure enough, I spoke to someone different and given the exact some info. He even looked into my case a little further. I then filed a claim with them to have my case transfered to the Nebraska Service Center where it should have been sent in the first place. I have no idea how long this will take. I now get to start all over! I have a claim number and if I do not hear anything from them within 45 days, I am to check back.

I have not yet spoken to my fiance about any of this because of our time differences, he's been asleep. I'm sure he is going to be just as disappointed and devasted as I have been. My suggestion to him is going to be for us to cancel everything and not reschedule the "big" wedding plans. When he finally does get to come to the USA, have a very small ceremony and call it a day. (Take a great honeymoon though)! I have a beautiful wedding dress and veil, decorations, bridesmaid dress, flowergirl dresses, not to mention our deposits with venders, etc etc etc. Sell what I can on ebay and what I can't, take the loss. I think I am about drained dry of tears and my feelings are now beginning to turn to anger. I'm sure this will pass soon and I just need a few stressfree days...sometime soon would be nice.

Thanks again to everyone. Although this has turned into a very chaotic day for me, at least now I know!

Kym

:crying:

Wow Kym. That is so awful! Your poor file has been so unfortunately mishandled! First by the dumba$$ lawyer, then National Benefits Center just lets it stay there in limbo. UGH! You'd think they'd at least have sent it back to you or the lawyer if they had no plans to process it! I really feel for you guys. Hang in there. Hopefully you'll experience a miracle and get through the CSC quickly! Good luck and let us know how you guys make out!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so sorry you are having such an experience. One suggestion, before you go through with selling off things on ebay, hold on to the dress and accessories; even if you are not able to have your dream wedding in April, you can still wear your dress for a small ceremony when your fiance is able to arrive here. You may also wish to have a large 'reception' or special ceremony at a later date - maybe on your first anniversary - and you can wear it then for your family and friends. I hadn't planned on wearing a wedding dress because I knew our ceremony was going to be very small in front of a judge. Still, I found the perfect dress purely by accident - I wasn't even looking - and bought it. I wore it and it helped to make that small ceremony even more special. So, hang on to things like that for now until you have a better idea of what and when things will happen. Good luck in finding your answers soon and getting your NOA2 and your K-1 visa quickly.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.