grapeeyes

Help, Medical Denied

38 posts in this topic

Ok, my husband had his medical in London today. The doctor told him he failed due to high blood pressure. She said that he would have to see his regular doctor, get his blood pressure down, then take the medical over again (paying their fee again). In reading the statute, blood pressure is not a valid reason to deny the medical. I have no idea what to do next. This really really is heart breaking. I need my husband. Its been so long already. Any suggestions please, I don't know what we can do next. Below is a copy of the statute.

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(1) Health-related grounds.-

(A) In general.-Any alien-

(i) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to have a communicable disease of public health significance; 1b/

(ii) 1/ except as provided in subparagraph © 1a/ who seeks admission as an immigrant, or who seeks adjustment of status to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, and who has failed to present documentation of having received vaccination against vaccine-preventable diseases, which shall include at least the following diseases: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus and diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B and hepatitis B, and any other vaccinations against vaccine-pre ventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices,

(iii) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services in consultation with the Attorney General)-

(I) to have a physical or mental disorder and behavior associated with the disorder that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others, or

(II) to have had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder, which behavior has posed a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur or to lead to other harmful behavior, or

(iv) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to be a drug abuser or addict, is inadmissible.

(B) Waiver authorized.-For provision authorizing waiver of certain clauses of subparagraph (A), see subsection (g).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Ok, my husband had his medical in London today. The doctor told him he failed due to high blood pressure. She said that he would have to see his regular doctor, get his blood pressure down, then take the medical over again (paying their fee again). In reading the statute, blood pressure is not a valid reason to deny the medical. I have no idea what to do next. This really really is heart breaking. I need my husband. Its been so long already. Any suggestions please, I don't know what we can do next. Below is a copy of the statute.

quote]

look at the ####### that they are making you go through. you know the post that i created, in that post so many uscis immigration lovers, let them explain to you what happened, why it happened, and why it's your fault.

Edited by ghosttridder

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of that. Let me go see if I can dig up anything from someone who might have gone through something similar.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

So sorry to hear this. I hope everything works out for you and quickly!

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah, wow. Firstly, ghosttridder...don't give silly advice on such an important and serious thread. Your thread is where you can complain about your situation (which IMO is your fault) but not here. Your comment about USCIS lovers doesn't add anything to this thread or help the OP.

To the OP:

I have never heard of anything like this at all. As far as I have seen I have never seen anyone be denied for high blood pressure. One question, which really shouldn't matter but it might shed some light on this topic, how high was his blood pressure? Was it seriously through the roof or was it just slightly higher than normal? If the medical is denied that DOES NOT mean that you cannot still go to the interview. You can very well still go to the interview and most likely the would tell you that your petition is approved pending a clean medical. When you go to the interview bring ALL supporting documents and a good chase as to why this is not a good reason for a denial. The fact that *you* as the American have health insurance that will cover your husband once he is in the US is not supposed to make a different for these visas, but in this case I think it might help (if in fact you do have insurance that will cover him). Also, I'd recommend you send your husband/fiancee (by the way, is he your husband or finace??) to his normal GP and have them do blood pressure tests. Like you said, London wants you to go to their doctor, but I'd send him to the GP just so that you can have more copies of his blood pressure state. AND, if the London doctor gave him copies of the paperwork from the medical take those too. Print out the reasons for denial for a health reason and ask them why high blood pressure is a reason.

Last time I check the doctors at the medicals COULD NOT deny visa, they can only give the medical. When we went to our medical in London we didn't even hear any results. They didn't tell us anything! They didn't say whether the xrays looked good, they obviously couldn't tell if the blood tests came out good, and as far as blood pressure all they said was "okay fine". Perhaps the London doctor was saying his medical came out bad and not that it would be a denied visa. That is not his job. YOU CAN STILL GO TO THE INTERVIEW! And I recommend that you do so!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Yeah, wow. Firstly, ghosttridder...don't give silly advice on such an important and serious thread. Your thread is where you can complain about your situation (which IMO is your fault) but not here. Your comment about USCIS lovers doesn't add anything to this thread or help the OP.

LOLZ your opinion is ill. and your advice is ill-advised. dont listen to these people they have no idea how wrong they can be. Get an opinion from a lawyer.

if something goes wrong, these people will be the first to point fingers directly at you. judgemental and too critical because they have so much faith in the system. look at what the system is making you go through.. tsk tsk tsk so sad

Edited by ghosttridder

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

LOLZ your opinion is ill. and your advice is ill-advised. dont listen to these people they have no idea how wrong they can be. Get an opinion from a lawyer.

if something goes wrong, these people will be the first to point fingers directly at you. judgemental and too critical because they have so much faith in the system. look at what the system is making you go through.. tsk tsk tsk so sad

If you think that VJ if not here to help people and that this website hasn't helped hundreds of people go through this process successfully then why don't you leave?

Also: I'll go over to your thread if you like and we can continue this there...but I don't want this very important thread to be shut down with our bickering. So please don't reply here and I'll go over to the thread you started.

Edited by Marina-Del

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Where are you in the process? (Interview scheduled?)

I'm concerned about what was officially sent to the embassy and/or if something was misunderstood in the conversation between your husband and the civil surgeon..

Actually, the former poster had very good advice. I get the feeling that you're only upset about his comment about your situation being your own fault, Ghosttrider. You should be careful not to claim his advice is a bad one when he is only trying to help out the OP here.

As for the OP;

I have read through a lot of medical posts because I have been wondering about a few things myself and I can not remember a single case of anyone being denied a VISA due to high blood pressure. I'd have your husbands own GP do a test before the interview perhaps, or even state a history of his former check ups and the value of his blood pressure tests and bring this with you. It's even mentioned here somewhere how the situation itself can make the blood pressure rise. I can only wish you good luck and keep your spirits up! I know it's tough being parted from the one you love, but hang in there!

Kristin

07.15.09 - Received NOA1

10.02.09 - Received NOA2 - So exciting!!

10.07.09 - Medical approved!

10.16.09 - Case left NVC

10.19.09 - Case delivered at consulate

10.21.09 - Package 3 received!

11.04.09 - Package 3 sent

11.25.09 - Interview APPROVED!

12.03.09 - Visa on hand!!

12.28.09 - POE in Seattle

02.13.10 - Our wedding day xD

12.14.12 - Mailed I-751 - Here we go again!

12.17.12 - Package delivered

12.20.12 - Received NOA 1 - dated 12.17.12

fqaVm8.png

I was going to remove the posts which did not contribute to the thread, but they are interwoven with good advice, now, so I do not want them to be lost.

Ghosttridder, please refrain from hijacking threads to suit your purposes. Now may be a good time to read the VisaJourney Terms of Service.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only thing I have been able to find is from Canadian Immigration forums, but I imagine it might be similar. They say that they can fail the medical if his BP was really really high and send him to his GP to make sure its not something more serious. I'm still doing a bit more research but I haven't forgotten about you, I will post again, hopefully soon.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

The only thing I have been able to find is from Canadian Immigration forums, but I imagine it might be similar. They say that they can fail the medical if his BP was really really high and send him to his GP to make sure its not something more serious. I'm still doing a bit more research but I haven't forgotten about you, I will post again, hopefully soon.

I can agree with this - I can see the civil surgeon saying something like "you need to get this checked out...blah blah blah" but not deny a medical - besides, their 'job' is to draft a report not determine eligibility.

Last I checked - heart disease and related ailments were not communicable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.