kk_mine

Free Calls

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Someone told me about this but I'm not sure if anyone uses this or has heard of this before? http://links.infomercial.ws/rd/magicjack/01/m2.html

**Here is one review I found (not a good one)**:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/320/ripoff0320581.htm

Report: Magic Jack

Category: Computer Fraud

Magic Jack WARNING DONT BUY Internet

*Consumer Comment ..CURRENT AND NEW USERS BEWARE: READ THE TERMS OF SERVICE!

Submitted: 3/24/2008 12:02:38 PM

Modified: 10/24/2008 7:59:55 AM

Lets start off by saying Please save yourself the head ache DONT BUY this product. The entire infomercial looks and sounds great but they dont tell you upfront is that its really not a 30 day trial but rather a 15 day trial cause after 15 days they charge your credit card like they did mine.

They dont tell you that if you ever have a problem you WILL NEVER speak to a live representative, cause the company does not have a telephone.

They dont tell you that they are going to redistribute your personal information to other customers in their database like they did mine

They dont tell you that if you wish to send your product back it will take them 45 days to issue you a refund.

They dont tell you up front that in order to have 24/7 phone access your computer can not go into hibernation or be shut off, imagine if you have an emergency at night time when your computer is usually off and dont have access to a phone,? or if you have a burglar and need to contact the police?

When you do call 911 they dont tell you that your actually speaking with a internet computer and not that of your local police department which by the way you have to be sure you give them all kinds of information Home address, name, phone #,etc) before they even dispatch anyone out to your home.(I dont know about you guys but I have small children, who are to young to memorize this information, and trust them to know that in a hectic situation/emergency thay are going to be able to assist this internet operator to get some help in time? I mean what if something ever happened to mommy or daddy and they needed the police but didnt know the information because their to young 5,yrs old?

They dont tell you that you can not make any phone calls that require you to input #s such as if you call your bank and have to input your ss# good luck because every number you press is multiplied by 2 try inputing your account # ssi# or anthing that is requiring verification data of you, sorry you can't so if the company your calling does not have a customer service rep wgile peek hours your out of luck.

They dont tell you that you have to dial your area code to make phone calls within your own city, so to call your next door neighbor you must first dial your area code.

They dont tell you that you can not be on your computer doing work because every time someone in your house picks up the phone or a call comes in a box pops up which you have to minimize, and yes you have to minimize it for every call going out or coming in , trust me its a pain especially when your spouse work is done primarily on the pc, try wrting a word,power point,excel, while every 10 seconds you have a box popping up on your working screen, now you can take care of this problem by simply unplugging your phone, thus eliminating anyone in the home using the phone, or receiving calls, but hey atleast you get your work done without any annoying boxes interupting you.

They dont tell you that once you connect the magic jack to your computer, your going to be using up your systems resources, & have to update all your pc's direct x functions, so if your not a computer garu your in trouble, or you can just call their tech support and speak with someone who can walk you through the process.... oh no wait sorry they have no live person you can talk to if you need any customer assistance or tech support you have to go online and chat with them. by the way good luck getting somone to log in to the chat area to assit you, lets just say that if its less then 2 minutes your one of the lucky ones.

I dont know about you folks but I wish someone would of told me all this before I spent my time and money buying this product cause now the end result is that I have no product as i sent them back and I have no money cause they have yet to date to issue a refund, and I cant speak with no one cause oh yeah there's no phone # to call the company , corporate or eitherwise. In cloing i hope i was able to save someone the ordeal and head aches I have gone through with this company, I just hope I get my money back, i'll keep trying its now been 18 days and counting since I spoke, sorry chatted with a customer service rep. If you do purchase this product I wish you all the luck , but i'm sure I will be reading more posts about this great $20 a year phone service, I guess its true what my dad always told me if something sounds to good to be true 9 out of 10 times it usually is.-Iaz Family, Las Vegas Nv Good luck!

XXX family

Las Vegas, Nevada

U.S.A.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Reagan administration of all but killing the FTC has caused consumers a zillion problems, but we wanted less government, right? Course, you can still hire an attorney, lay out thousands of bucks and file a lawsuit for misrepresentation or even for warranty repair on a product.

Wife got suckered into one of those, but I got her money back, matter of principle, but that commercial is still on TV and she asks, why can they lie like that. I wasn't born paranoid, but made that way. She laughed when I said, before buying anything, bend over, you are going to get it where you don't want it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been using MagicJack for the sole purpose of calling my fiancee for as long as I want. Its not my main phone. It saved us a lot of money. It has only been a week anyway but it already saved me $100 on phone cards. I bought it for $90. So if it stays the same for a month, then I would be saving $300 more. Imagine using it for 6 months, then one year....hmmm....

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There's no subscription, no contract. It's just a device. I bought it here in Philippines.

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

we can have the detail bill calls from the magicjack

I have been using MagicJack for the sole purpose of calling my fiancee for as long as I want. Its not my main phone. It saved us a lot of money. It has only been a week anyway but it already saved me $100 on phone cards. I bought it for $90. So if it stays the same for a month, then I would be saving $300 more. Imagine using it for 6 months, then one year....hmmm....

There's no subscription, no contract. It's just a device. I bought it here in Philippines.

Not exactly....

You can purchase an additional year's service now for $19.95 USD.

http://www.magicjack.com/9/faq/

One can get similar service with Skype. A known reliable company.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

Magikjack is just another flavor of Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP).

They've been around for years. A local mechanic raves about his.

I was an early adoptor to Vonage, and didn't like it because of the subscription service.

Currently I use Skype, and have rarely been disappointed.

The only time I can remember being disappointed was when I was using it in France

to call NVC. Took many calls to get through, and then I was on hold, and in the middle of talking to

a supervisor at NVC (we know that's not always easy) the call dropped.

Could've been the internet connection, could've happened with any VOIP

...so I really can't blame Skype...but it was a major disappointment.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My boyfriend and I got it so I can call home, and while its not the greatest, it definitely is worth exactly what we paid for it...$20. Sometimes its got echoes or the call just drops, but that could be because we had it on the laptop...now that its on a reliable desktop, its fine. It definitely is not our main phone. I don't really have any complaints. You get what you pay for right? Oh and I like that its mobile that I can take it and plug it into another computer and its still the same number, even if its in a different city. Country even!

Edited by xtinab

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Timeline
I (L) Vonage.. we have had it for over 2 years now with 0 problems...

WOW, that's quite an endorsement. Does your husband know about this affair that's been going on for 2 years,

or is it a ...

hold on...

wait for it...

wait for it....

Or is it a 3 way? :)

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was an early adoptor to Vonage, and didn't like it because of the subscription service.

The only time I can remember being disappointed was when I was using it in France

to call NVC. Took many calls to get through, and then I was on hold, and in the middle of talking to

All that the original poster said is out there on the internet, and more... Does any company advertise shortcomings of a product? The best I'd hope for is to read the fine print, and make my decisions based on that. It's there, but not necessarily in a form uncomplimentary to the product. There are raving reviews, and scathing reviews. I chose to think that if there are people happy with it, I might be happy too. After all it's cheap.

BTW, I'm not associated with MJ in any way, I just own two of them. Where else can you get free calls to the Philippines at this price? I'm all for saving money...

That said, you get what you pay for. At the price, it can't be beat. You want a live rep on the phone, you have to pay for it, at the MJ price, what do you expect? The Tech Chat support is better than nothing, and surprise to me, actually pretty good. My only real complaint is that it is difficult, if not impossible, to get back to the same person that you explained the problem to five minutes ago.

Yeah, I've had problems. The Tech Chat can be frustrating. It took me Months to finally get one of them working properly. For the record, it wasn't all MJ's problem. I had several problems. I finally got the problematic MJ replaced, along with a faulty powered USB hub, and I love it, it works. I'm still not totally convinced that the original MJ was defective, but I don't really care, it's working!

The second MJ has never given me any problems. Of course, you have to have a computer up and running all the time. That's not always easy in the Philippines...

For what you are paying for, free calls to anywhere in the US and Canada, from the Philippines? Free calls to the Philippines to a local number? For my buck, I'll take it, even though I'd like a service more like Vonage! I don't want to pay for it though...

For what it is worth, I asked one of the Tech Chat people if they were going to come out with a Server version of the MJ. (Just connects to the Ethernet, No computer required.) They assured me that in the future they will make one. Assuming the cost is reasonable, Vonage will have a run for their money!

I also use skype, it is very reliable, and has some really cool features (that I'll probably never use). It's really a good way to go, but it requires a computer up and running too, near as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong. My Skype phone is a USB phone. I hate the phone, but like the service. It's also about $100 a year for about the same service I get with the MJ. Lets see, two MJ's with the five year service option, about $200. Skype for one year on two computers, about $200...

That's my two cents worth...

Chuck B.

Timeline
we can have the detail bill calls from the magicjack

I really don't know about detailed billing. MJ offers international calling and supposedly it's ATT, though they can't legally say that, so they say. I've never used it, if the cost was lower, I would. It's comparable or lower than most International rates, but not as low as Rebtel.

I use mine to dial a local phone number that connects in the Philippines where one of the MJ's is located. They can call the US for free, and I can call them for free.

If you are looking for International calling and detailed billing, I use Rebtel, it's cheaper to the Philippines. I don't know about for you. You can check at: www.rebtel.com

Good Luck,

Timeline

All that the original poster said is out there on the internet, and more... Does any company advertise shortcomings of a product? The best I'd hope for is to read the fine print, and make my decisions based on that. It's there, but not necessarily in a form uncomplimentary to the product. There are raving reviews, and scathing reviews. I chose to think that if there are people happy with it, I might be happy too. After all it's cheap.

BTW, I'm not associated with MJ in any way, I just own two of them. Where else can you get free calls to the Philippines at this price? I'm all for saving money...

That said, you get what you pay for. At the price, it can't be beat. You want a live rep on the phone, you have to pay for it, at the MJ price, what do you expect? The Tech Chat support is better than nothing, and surprise to me, actually pretty good. My only real complaint is that it is difficult, if not impossible, to get back to the same person that you explained the problem to five minutes ago.

Yeah, I've had problems. The Tech Chat can be frustrating. It took me Months to finally get one of them working properly. For the record, it wasn't all MJ's problem. I had several problems. I finally got the problematic MJ replaced, along with a faulty powered USB hub, and I love it, it works. I'm still not totally convinced that the original MJ was defective, but I don't really care, it's working!

The second MJ has never given me any problems. Of course, you have to have a computer up and running all the time. That's not always easy in the Philippines...

For what you are paying for, free calls to anywhere in the US and Canada, from the Philippines? Free calls to the Philippines to a local number? For my buck, I'll take it, even though I'd like a service more like Vonage! I don't want to pay for it though...

For what it is worth, I asked one of the Tech Chat people if they were going to come out with a Server version of the MJ. (Just connects to the Ethernet, No computer required.) They assured me that in the future they will make one. Assuming the cost is reasonable, Vonage will have a run for their money!

I also use skype, it is very reliable, and has some really cool features (that I'll probably never use). It's really a good way to go, but it requires a computer up and running too, near as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong. My Skype phone is a USB phone. I hate the phone, but like the service. It's also about $100 a year for about the same service I get with the MJ. Lets see, two MJ's with the five year service option, about $200. Skype for one year on two computers, about $200...

That's my two cents worth...

Chuck B.

Exactly why am I being quoted? :unsure:

I said I knew people that RAVE about MJ, and just gave my own experience with VOIP.

Did I somehow offend?

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

YES WE DID!

.png

Timeline

Exactly why am I being quoted? :unsure:

I said I knew people that RAVE about MJ, and just gave my own experience with VOIP.

Did I somehow offend?

It just happened to be the last post and I replied. Certainly I'm not offended, are you?