onwa

Christmas Party for Work

134 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:yes: they are having an office party early next year, i said i would not attend.

How many people would be attending? I don't think I could decline without it reflecting negatively on me...my company is too small and camaraderie is expected.

probably over 100, i won't be missed. nor do i care. they want to know who's gonna be there a month out from the party and imo that's nuts given the possibility of bad weather that day. the party is also after hours for me, so they can take their expected camaraderie and stuff it unless i'm getting overtime for attending. just because i work with them that does not mean i want to go to a party with them.

I hear ya on that. Last year, when I was with a larger company (150), I didn't bother going. I heard it was nothing but a huge drinking fest and an ambulance was called after somebody passed out. This year, we're having it at a nice restaurant, buffet style with free bar, 6-11pm...and we have a gift exchange. :) I'm looking forward to it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Charles where is your holiday spirit?

Jackie (F)

blah humbug!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

:yes: they are having an office party early next year, i said i would not attend.

How many people would be attending? I don't think I could decline without it reflecting negatively on me...my company is too small and camaraderie is expected.

probably over 100, i won't be missed. nor do i care. they want to know who's gonna be there a month out from the party and imo that's nuts given the possibility of bad weather that day. the party is also after hours for me, so they can take their expected camaraderie and stuff it unless i'm getting overtime for attending. just because i work with them that does not mean i want to go to a party with them.

I hear ya on that. Last year, when I was with a larger company (150), I didn't bother going. I heard it was nothing but a huge drinking fest and an ambulance was called after somebody passed out. This year, we're having it at a nice restaurant, buffet style with free bar, 6-11pm...and we have a gift exchange. :) I'm looking forward to it.

i'm sure you saw the hours i posted about a week ago that i've worked this year. for all of that, the 100+ of us get 1-2 drinks at the bar (IF they have that this year) and a buffet style menu, and don't be late getting in line either. the usual shop talk, like they can't get enough of that at work. blah! í'd much rather go to pizza hut by myself.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It's been years since I've had a job that held an office party. What pisses me off is when they have the nerve to say spouses are not invited. I find it very rude. I refused to attend. Christmas is for family. If I can't bring my SO, I'm sure in Hell not going to spend another few hours with the people I have to look at every single day while the woman I love sits alone at home.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I have the coolest job ever, we have parties all the time. We have a potluck every time someone leaves and one for every holiday, plus the managers buy us breakfast every Friday morning and we hang around and talk, there's a birthday party once a month with cake and ice cream for all the people who had birthdays that month, plus sometimes we go out for drinks after work (like officially—sometimes the managers even buy the first round for everyone) and we also have an annual summer picnic and annual Christmas party.

This year the Christmas party is at a really fancy restaurant, but it's a fixed menu, choice of four options, they're paying for all the employees but if you want to bring your spouse you have to buy their meal. Last year we just rented a suite in a nice hotel and had hors d'oeuvres and margaritas.

Since I work for the government, I'd like to set everyone's mind at ease: your tax dollars aren't paying. Either the managers pay (like breakfast) or we have potlucks or for things like the Christmas party, we have an Entertainment Committee that fund-raises all year (like raffling off a PlayStation, selling cupcakes, etc.) and then uses the money to pay for the party. The goal is to earn as much money as possible and blow every last cent and leave the next year's committee with nothing.

ETA At my last job, the section I worked in was slightly larger (6 people instead of 3) and the whole organization was much bigger (800 people instead of 100) so we'd have parties at Christmas and for everyone's birthday, just within the section and for any contractors we had working that day. There actually was a big fancy Christmas party every year, but no one ever went to it.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Other Timeline

Christmas parties.

OMG, I could tell you tales that would curl your hair and make poor Julie's story look tame. There was nothing more gross, excessive or debaucherous than parites in the 80's, the decade of self-indulgence and money.

Food, whiskey, sex, pills, pot....you name it we had it all. Usually it started at some respectable hotel banquet room or the Country Club. I once saw a bank manager dancing with his hands on his secretary's ####### while his pregnant wife sat there pretending not to notice. People would leave with other's people's spouses and then there'd be whispers for months. Personally, one time I had a girl who had a crush on my ex-husband 'accidentally' spill on drink on me. It was so cute and so well done.

It was wild. I wouldn't want to go back to it for anything. Yuck.

I work in a small office now. We don't do a Christmas party. They give us a Walmart gift card for Christmas, buy us a turkey for our family dinner, and send us home. Sometimes we get together for a drink or two around the holidays but we all leave by like 7:30 or something. I'd much rather do that than worship the great white buddha one more night all in the name of holiday cheer.

I remember some dude waking up the next morning with his pants down complaining huge headache lol. :jest:

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Same old crappy boring Xmas party here lol.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Timeline
It's been years since I've had a job that held an office party. What pisses me off is when they have the nerve to say spouses are not invited. I find it very rude. I refused to attend. Christmas is for family. If I can't bring my SO, I'm sure in Hell not going to spend another few hours with the people I have to look at every single day while the woman I love sits alone at home.

glad you brought that up. spouses are not invited to our so called employee party. :protest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I found this list from Modern Drunkard Magazine...

shot-talk.jpg

The 86 Rules of Boozing:

Here's just a sample...

2. Always toast before doing a shot.

3. Whoever buys the shot gets the first chance to offer a toast.

5. Buying someone a drink is five times better than a handshake.

6. Buying a strange woman a drink is still cool. Buying all her drinks is dumb.

8. When the bartender is slammed, resist the powerful urge to order a slightly-dirty, very-dry, in-and-out, super-chilled half-and-half martini with a lemon twist. Limit orders to beer, straight shots and two-part cocktails.

9. Get the bartender's attention with eye contact and a smile.

10. Do not make eye contact with the bartender if you do not want a drink.

12. Never, ever tell a bartender he made your drink too strong.

13. If he makes it too weak, order a double next time. He'll get the message.

20. Drink one girly drink in public and you will forever be known as the guy who drinks girly drinks.

26. If there is a d.j., you can request a song only once per night. If he doesn't play it within half an hour, do not approach him again. If he does play it, do not approach him again.

30. Never complain about the quality or brand of a free drink.

35. Learn to appreciate hangovers. If it was all good times every jackass would be doing it.

39. Never tip with coins that have touched you. If your change is $1.50, you can tell the barmaid to keep the change, but once she has handed it to you, you cannot give it back. To a bartender or cocktail waitress, small change has no value.

41. Anyone on stage or behind a bar is fifty percent better looking.

42. You can tell how hard a drinker someone is by how close they keep their drink to their mouth.

47. Nothing screams 'nancy boy' louder than swirling an oversized brandy snifter.

48. Men don't drink from straws. Unless you're doing a Mind or Face Eraser.

49. If you do a shot, finish it. If you don't plan to finish it, don't accept it.

50. Never brood in a dance bar. Never dance in a dive bar.

53. Never yell out jukebox selections to someone you don't know.

54. Never lie in a bar. You may, however, grossly exaggerate and lean.

55. If you think you might be slurring a little, then you are slurring a lot. If you think you are slurring a lot, then you are not speaking English.

56. Screaming, “Someone buy me a drink!” has never worked.

66. Asking a bartender what beers are on tap when the handles are right in front of you is the equivalent of saying, “I'm an idiot.”

67. Never ask a bartender “what's good tonight?” They do not fly in the scotch fresh from the coast every morning.

68. If there is a line for drinks, get your goddamn drink and step the hell away from the bar.

74. If you hesitate more than three seconds after the bartender looks at you, you do not deserve a drink.

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.

http://www.drunkard.com/issues/01-02/01_02_booze_rules.htm

Filed: Timeline
Christmas parties.

OMG, I could tell you tales that would curl your hair and make poor Julie's story look tame. :lol:

Food, whiskey, sex, pills, pot....you name it we had it all. Usually it started at some respectable hotel banquet room or the Country Club. I once saw a bank manager dancing with his hands on his secretary's ####### while his pregnant wife sat there pretending not to notice. People would leave with other's people's spouses and then there'd be whispers for months. Personally, one time I had a girl who had a crush on my ex-husband 'accidentally' spill on drink on me. It was so cute and so well done.

Oh dear, that sounds like the Christmas Party at the company where my Mom works - did you work in advertising by any chance? They are all high as a kite, feeling on top of the world.

Next Thursday we are having our company gift exchange.

And then there is the dreaded 'Gift Exchange' - companies feed off those :dancing: individuals who simply 'must' organize this activity (again, providing a distraction from the company not having to show any kind of appreciation)...

Our organization (each location about 20 people) this year decided to do the 'gift exchange' with a twist (some of you may recognize this)...they call it a White Elephant Gift Exchange. This means everyone brings a gift, draws numbers to see who goes first, second, etc. First person picks a gift, second person can either take that person's gift or chose one on their own - moving on down the line with each person either taking someone else's gift, or choosing from the remaining cheap gifts... what are we? 12??? :wacko: