onwa

Christmas Party for Work

134 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
EXACTLY... Christmas is about FAMILY not work. If you are going to hold a work function that is celebrating a family oriented holiday, invite spouses! I'd be happy to attend then. Save the board meetings for work during office hours!

I'd never work for a company were I felt I'd be passed up for a promotion or frowned upon because I'd rather spend my time with my family at the holidays over the stuffed shirts I have to put up with every other day of the week.

That is odd (no spouses invited) unless it's more like a company meeting in a friendlier setting. Seems way too corporate for my taste.

and I'd rather put up with 'stuffed shirts' for 2 hours for ONE DAY A YEAR if it meant i got a promotion or a better bonus....it's called team building.

LOL.... true say! If you want to move up, you gotta build those relationships, people.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm into family building not team building. I could not care less for the "team" at Christmas.

and I'd rather put up with 'stuffed shirts' for 2 hours for ONE DAY A YEAR if it meant i got a promotion or a better bonus....it's called team building.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

EXACTLY... Christmas is about FAMILY not work. If you are going to hold a work function that is celebrating a family oriented holiday, invite spouses! I'd be happy to attend then. Save the board meetings for work during office hours!

I'd never work for a company were I felt I'd be passed up for a promotion or frowned upon because I'd rather spend my time with my family at the holidays over the stuffed shirts I have to put up with every other day of the week.

That is odd (no spouses invited) unless it's more like a company meeting in a friendlier setting. Seems way too corporate for my taste.

LOL.... true say! If you want to move up, you gotta build those relationships, people.

See ya at the top, Gupt! :star:

See ya at the top, Gupt! :star:

Oh I don't think I'm going to the top. But I will try to get as high up as I can :P

I'm into family building not team building. I could not care less for the "team" at Christmas.

How many Christmas parties are on Christmas day? None. You can do both.

Timeline

That's what the whole rest of the year is about. Christmas is not the one time of the year they decide who's valuable at a company.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

That's what the whole rest of the year is about. Christmas is not the one time of the year they decide who's valuable at a company.

Christmas is one of two times of the year I get a chance to meet with senior level management from parts of the company other than my own. Tell them what I do, what I'd like to do, learn what's happening in the other parts of the company, etc.

The other time is the summer picnic.

To me, there is value in those experiences. I've benefited from them. If you feel differently, I don't understand that but I respect it :)

Timeline

You have my respect Mr. VJ Troll. I'm sure you just see I've never been a corporate type. I get more kicks out of my personal life and my family than climbing the corporate ladder. I understand, for many, it's very important. :)

Christmas is one of two times of the year I get a chance to meet with senior level management from parts of the company other than my own. Tell them what I do, what I'd like to do, learn what's happening in the other parts of the company, etc.

To me, there is value in those experiences. I've benefited from them. If you feel differently, I don't understand that but I respect it :)

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

You have my respect Mr. VJ Troll. I'm sure you just see I've never been a corporate type. I get more kicks out of my personal life and my family than climbing the corporate ladder. I understand, for many, it's very important. :)

I will freely admit, I do get kicks out of work :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've planned the entire Christmas event for the past few years at my prior company (aprox 100 employees).. believe me when I say it is noted by Sr. Management when you are not there.. The owner always looked at the list of people who didn't RSVP (and wanted to know exactly why they were not there) and I know for a fact it was part of his decision making when it came to giving out which dollar value bonuses etc. The only thing worse in his mind were those who showed up to the party only to get their checks and then left the party.. THAT was not really looked upon very favorably either..

Another note- the people who PLAN those events get absolutely NO thanks for it.. (if it's an "inside job").. it's a thankless job and most of the time I just heard complaints from the staff.. why did we have to go curling.. how come it's a cash bar.. blah blah blah.. I'm sorry those events cost THOUSANDS of dollars and some admin person works their AZZZ off to prep and make sure it is "special" (in my case anyway), so if you REALLY want to impress.. bring a card of thanks or a small gift for the admin team.. THEY will notice that one!!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I've planned the entire Christmas event for the past few years at my prior company (aprox 100 employees).. believe me when I say it is noted by Sr. Management when you are not there.. The owner always looked at the list of people who didn't RSVP (and wanted to know exactly why they were not there) and I know for a fact it was part of his decision making when it came to giving out which dollar value bonuses etc. The only thing worse in his mind were those who showed up to the party only to get their checks and then left the party.. THAT was not really looked upon very favorably either..

Another note- the people who PLAN those events get absolutely NO thanks for it.. (if it's an "inside job").. it's a thankless job and most of the time I just heard complaints from the staff.. why did we have to go curling.. how come it's a cash bar.. blah blah blah.. I'm sorry those events cost THOUSANDS of dollars and some admin person works their AZZZ off to prep and make sure it is "special" (in my case anyway), so if you REALLY want to impress.. bring a card of thanks or a small gift for the admin team.. THEY will notice that one!!

I once neglected to accept/decline an invitation sent by a senior manager to a new hire breakfast. This is many years ago. The invite was sent by his admin assistant (as is the norm) but he called me himself to inquire whether I could make it or not. When I looked in my calendar and said I had a conflict, he rescheduled the whole thing just for me. Was nice, but I was a little embarrassed at having missed the invite like that.

You're right about the people who plan it! They deserve many thanks but don't get it.

How is networking now a corporate thing? They are not the same.

I care about my career. I care about social etiquette. I care about meeting new people. I do not need to be by my spouse's side 24/7. All that does not make a kiss azz or a corporate suit or a bad wife. It's calling having your own identity.

Edited by devilette

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
PS: Those who don't go to parties obviously either don't care about promos or assume that an appearance is not needed. I've never worked a place where you could duck out, get away with it & not look bad.

It is an important part of my business (consulting). If you get invited to these parties, you do need to make an effort to go. There are typically lots of them too (one for the whole firm, one for your department, etc).

As for spouses not being invited - it isn't really a "party" then, is it? Sounds more like "work" to me.

The cheapest thing I have ever seen was requiring employees to pay for tickets to the holiday party, and for their spouse (and tickets were like $100). So not only did you have to do it, not get paid for it, but also paid yourself. (And a hotel, for a few hundred more).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Ah, but it really is. Fiscal year ends, bonuses are calculated, and if there are layoffs coming, it is time to figure out who gets the boot.

Lot's of firms are also calculating annual raises, bonuses, stock option grants and the like in December (these are often given out in January).

Your opinion is one thing, but the manager's opinion at most firms is different.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

For you. But for me, my identity is defined by being a good person, husband and father solely. I work to provide for them, nothing more. I could not give two hoops what goes on at work when I'm not there. I don't need work to improve my social skills. I don't need work to meet new people. I don't have to be with my fiancée 24 hours a day either. This thread is all about Christmas parties. IMO, there is no reason to bar spouses from corporate Christmas functions (held during off hours). It is not acceptable for me.

I care about my career. I care about social etiquette. I care about meeting new people. I do not need to be by my spouse's side 24/7. All that does not make a kiss azz or a corporate suit or a bad wife. It's calling having your own identity.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

For you. But for me, my identity is defined by being a good person, husband and father solely. I work to provide for them, nothing more. I could not give two hoops what goes on at work when I'm not there. I don't need work to improve my social skills. I don't need work to meet new people. I don't have to be with my fiancée 24 hours a day either. This thread is all about Christmas parties. IMO, there is no reason to bar spouses from corporate Christmas functions (held during off hours). It is not acceptable for me.

So spending 2 hours at a party to possibly be able to make MORE money (to provide a BETTER life for your loved ones), is not worth it to you. I get it. Hearing how your absence is noted from plenty of other sources isn't making it any clearer. Hope your job is secure!

And I don't need to improve my social skills, they are fine. You throwing that dig in there is not necessary....nor is the one about being a good person.

Edited by devilette