neiks

Is it possible to raise a Canadian in the US?

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh man you are so CDN that you don't even realize how CDN you are!! :lol:

Hee hee.

YES!

And I am so much so that I can laugh at myself.

Bahaha!

Sometimes misguided passion...and yet...hmmmm.

Thanks Emancipation and Trailmix.

I did not mean to say that there was an issue here about any country being better.

I guess just this subject matter gets me going...

what does it matter.

Do teach/show/present all kinds of views, places, ideas, etc.

That is a gift.

I love that we Canucks can laugh at ourselves.. such a lost art I believe..

And I totally agree that being well rounded and well studied and travelled is something that everyone should aspire too.. thankfully I was raised in that environment.. I know my hubby had to go looking for that (join the Navy and see the world type thing) cause he would never have had that through his upbringing.. whether that's a US/CDN difference.. i'm not sure, but I know that I'm glad for the very inclusive and outward looking way I was raised!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh man you are so CDN that you don't even realize how CDN you are!! :lol:

Hee hee.

YES!

And I am so much so that I can laugh at myself.

Bahaha!

Sometimes misguided passion...and yet...hmmmm.

Thanks Emancipation and Trailmix.

I did not mean to say that there was an issue here about any country being better.

I guess just this subject matter gets me going...

what does it matter.

Do teach/show/present all kinds of views, places, ideas, etc.

That is a gift.

Amen to that -- some of my biggest lessons have come while travelling oversees and experiencing other cultures. I am grateful to my family for providing me the opportunities to have those kinds of experiences. If J and I ever have children, it is our hope and plan to broaden their horizons to include the world. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

i don't think anyone here is saying that Canada is better then the US... :unsure:

we just want our kids to know that they are part Canadian too...

it would be like a Chinese person living in the US wanting their children to know about their home country and traditions etc.....

Except that it's a little harder for the Canadian given that the two countries are so similar. There's more differences within both countries (Toronto and Whitehorse, NY and the South, etc.) than between them. So it comes down to what -- basically American, but not warlike? Nice? (Not a characterization a lot of Americans would like!) I mean, it's hard to know what pernicious influence one is trying to avoid that one couldn't encounter in Canada.

If it's just a matter of wanting the child to feel ties to Canada, regular visits home should help. :)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This conversation is pretty interesting. Neiks, I'm with you-I want my kids to be Canadian with a side of American rather than the other way around. Of course we're hoping to move back to Canada as soon as we can, which should help with that. but on the plus side you're so far north that all the kids are going to be a little Canadian.

I agree with the people that say experiencing other cultures is what makes a good/interesting person. But I also think that Canadian kids are much more aware of other cultures than American kids. Its the basic problem with being a superpower-it warps the common sphere of influence to be nearly exclusively American.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

tried to add this but was too slow

There are alot of differences between the 2 countries-not necessarily superficially, but as you dig deeper they become apparent. The way that Canadians relate with/to the world, science/learning, the environment, etc. are significantly different and, in my mind, better than the typical US views. And since I'm American I get to say that.

There are alot of great things about both of our countries and all of our kids are going to have a significant advantage by being able to cross the border at any time. And considering how different I am from my parents and how different all my sibs and I are from each other-what we want our kids to be probably only has the slightest influence on how they'll grow up. Therefor, we're back to the brainwashing while their asleep. :devil:

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Yes, it should be quite simple--as there is only incremental difference anyway between Canuck and Yank (I know I'll get some serious riposte for this but....)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

tried to add this but was too slow

There are alot of differences between the 2 countries-not necessarily superficially, but as you dig deeper they become apparent. The way that Canadians relate with/to the world, science/learning, the environment, etc. are significantly different and, in my mind, better than the typical US views. And since I'm American I get to say that.

There are alot of great things about both of our countries and all of our kids are going to have a significant advantage by being able to cross the border at any time. And considering how different I am from my parents and how different all my sibs and I are from each other-what we want our kids to be probably only has the slightest influence on how they'll grow up. Therefor, we're back to the brainwashing while their asleep. :devil:

Typical where? Sure, the Canadian stereotype is different, but I honestly think that parents are more important in all the realms outside of politics for what are relatively small differences. There are U.S. kids who grow up respecting science and the environment.

I guess I see it as hard to get any kid not to identify with the place where they're growing up, and to the extent that Canadians flatter themselves as peaceful, social conscious North Americans, that it's not that hard to raise a kid to be peaceful and socially conscious given that that's what the parents are.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

might sound like an a$$hole but if you want your kids to be Canadian with a bit of american then maybe you should have stayed in Canada..

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
might sound like an a$$hole but if you want your kids to be Canadian with a bit of american then maybe you should have stayed in Canada..

Just wanted to agree with you and note that I think the point that many of us would make is we would have stayed in Canada gladly if it were not for our USC spouses. We didn't move to the US for any other reason than to be with our spouses. That is one thing that colors most of my postings anyway.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Timeline

Just wanted to agree with you and note that I think the point that many of us would make is we would have stayed in Canada gladly if it were not for our USC spouses. We didn't move to the US for any other reason than to be with our spouses. That is one thing that colors most of my postings anyway.

I was thinking that it sounded like a very simplistic and uneducated response.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Hope you come up with a solution! i would bet most (not all) would be stil living in Canada if it wasn't for the American spouse. Life is an adventure, never know where it will take ya.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ahhhh the things we do for love :wub:

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

Timeline
Typical where? Sure, the Canadian stereotype is different, but I honestly think that parents are more important in all the realms outside of politics for what are relatively small differences. There are U.S. kids who grow up respecting science and the environment.

I guess I see it as hard to get any kid not to identify with the place where they're growing up, and to the extent that Canadians flatter themselves as peaceful, social conscious North Americans, that it's not that hard to raise a kid to be peaceful and socially conscious given that that's what the parents are.

lets see major differences: most of Canada's military action is as peacekeepers rather than aggressors-this is less of a choice of either country than fact of the difference in size. However, it does color the way that the Canadians that i know view the world and the way the Americans I know view the world.

Science and education-in Canada there isn't this ridiculous evolution/creation debate, which is evidence of the way that people view facts vs. beliefs. Also, (and this is mostly from talking to elementary teacher in both countries) the US has a very serious problem of the cult of the ignorant which most of my Canadian friends that are teachers or parents don't see nearly as often in Canada. It is a societal level problem, that young smart kids pretend to be dumb to fit in with their classmates. It's something that I see carrying over into the students in my university level classes-they may know the answer that I'm looking for but they are so used to being socially rewarded by being stupid that they won't voice that answer.

anyway, these are problems that our country needs to address but there doesn't seem to be any interest in trying to address them. yes I know that Canada isn't perfect, but for my (hypothetical) kids, I want them to be raised Canadian

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Please do take this with a grain of salt.

A friend once told me, ha, so do not hold me responsible...

The difference between a U.S.ian and a Canadian:

Canadian at fast food counter

Can I have a Coke?

Est-ce que je peut avoir un Coke?

(My Franglais abounds.) :lol:

USian at a fast food counter

Gimee a Coke!

It's a philosophical variance that goes deep! :yes:

Flame away...

I am ready.

:D

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.