neiks

Is it possible to raise a Canadian in the US?

65 posts in this topic

My sweet little boy has just turned one year and got me thinking.... Is is possible for him to grow up in the US in the US school system and still be able to identify himself as a Canadian? Will he grow up and develope Canadian pride or is he "doomed" to be patriotic American? (I use doomed with the nicest Canadian sarcasim ;) ) We live so close to the border and will spend lots of time in Canada at the Canadian residence plus his Mommy is dedicated in her profession of protecting the Canadian society but will it still be enough?

I have talked to various dual Can/AM people that live in the US. Some which were born in Canada, some that have their Canadian citizenship derived from a Canadian parent but all have basically lived and grown up in the US. The majority of them identify themselves as an American and being considered a Canadian as well is more of a novelty notion than an identity for them.

Thoughts anyone?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe, but it will be tough! As you live close to Canada and will be visiting, that might help.

As a Canadian that spent most of my 'growing up' years in Australia and Singapore, with a few Canadian-spent years thrown in, I didn't really 'feel' Canadian, or identify with Canadians. I went to an American High School in Singapore and I just wanted to be - American like them.

That said, I now identify myself as a Canadian. I think one of the major things that changed my thinking on this is digging up information on my ancestors. While my GG Grandfather came from Ireland, he was actually the first European to settle in the Calgary area. I remember my Father talking about him when I was a kid, but I do believe it basically went in one ear and out the other. In researching his life it made me think about my roots in Canada/Calgary and in fact I feel kind of bad about abandoning ye olde city (but I will anyway :) ).

You could always put that I am Canadian thing on repeat and play it when he is asleep? :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My sweet little boy has just turned one year and got me thinking.... Is is possible for him to grow up in the US in the US school system and still be able to identify himself as a Canadian? Will he grow up and develope Canadian pride or is he "doomed" to be patriotic American? (I use doomed with the nicest Canadian sarcasim ;) ) We live so close to the border and will spend lots of time in Canada at the Canadian residence plus his Mommy is dedicated in her profession of protecting the Canadian society but will it still be enough?

I have talked to various dual Can/AM people that live in the US. Some which were born in Canada, some that have their Canadian citizenship derived from a Canadian parent but all have basically lived and grown up in the US. The majority of them identify themselves as an American and being considered a Canadian as well is more of a novelty notion than an identity for them.

Thoughts anyone?

If your son is going to be raised in The United States, chances are, (hopefully) he will become the patriotic american. This is not a bad thing. One should have great pride and love for the country in which they live and are apart of. However, I think it is important for your son to also have ties to Canada as well. Canada is as much a part of his roots as the United States will be.

My fiance and I discuss this very issue often. My fiance is originally from New Zealand and currently lives in Canada. We do not have children yet, but when we do.....they will learn of their New Zealand heritage as well. I think that it is extremely important. I think that children are done a great injustice by being deprived of their roots. :)

regards

steph

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thoughts anyone?

If your son is going to be raised in The United States, chances are, (hopefully) he will become the patriotic american. This is not a bad thing. One should have great pride and love for the country in which they live and are apart of. However, I think it is important for your son to also have ties to Canada as well. Canada is as much a part of his roots as the United States will be.

My fiance and I discuss this very issue often. My fiance is originally from New Zealand and currently lives in Canada. We do not have children yet, but when we do.....they will learn of their New Zealand heritage as well. I think that it is extremely important. I think that children are done a great injustice by being deprived of their roots. :)

regards

steph

woops, sorry....you asked for canuks opinion. I'm an American ..born and raised...lol :whistle:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

This will be tough for him to think of himself as a Canuck. I think children will assume their identity from where they grow up & are educated. My husband was born in Chile and raised there until he was 10 or so. He moved to Canada and attended school there. He identifies more with Canada then Chile even though his parents only watch Chile TV and speak Spanish in the house. He visits Chile every 2 years or so and only considers himself a Chileno on paper and per his passport.

Considering that the Canadian and American cultures are so close (I really didn't even see any difference after living in both countries) the cutie child will probably not notice a difference either. Perhaps you can teach him to say 'eh' as his first word? :lol:

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline
This will be tough for him to think of himself as a Canuck. I think children will assume their identity from where they grow up & are educated. My husband was born in Chile and raised there until he was 10 or so. He moved to Canada and attended school there. He identifies more with Canada then Chile even though his parents only watch Chile TV and speak Spanish in the house. He visits Chile every 2 years or so and only considers himself a Chileno on paper and per his passport.

Considering that the Canadian and American cultures are so close (I really didn't even see any difference after living in both countries) the cutie child will probably not notice a difference either. Perhaps you can teach him to say 'eh' as his first word? :lol:

Hey that's interesting. My Son is 1/2 polynesian, lived in NZ from ages 4-11 - definately sees himself as both polynesian and Canadian.

Perhaps you can teach him to say 'eh' as his first word?
He's already saying "mum" instead of "mom". :D

If your son is going to be raised in The United States, chances are, (hopefully) he will become the patriotic american. This is not a bad thing

I knew instantly you where American. :jest:

woops, sorry....you asked for canuks opinion. I'm an American ..born and raised...lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My son is now 9 and has only been here since September and has already left Canada behind him. He knows he came from there but he already has all this pride about the US. It's kind of scary. I try to keep his Canadian roots strong inside him, but it's hard. They go to school, they learn from peers, you can only do so much.

I am constantly having to remind him that he's Canadian because he has this thing of saying: "I used to be a Canadian"

*sigh* :(

Donne moi une poptart!

I am constantly having to remind him that he's Canadian because he has this thing of saying: "I used to be a Canadian
Oh, that is so sad and brings a tear to my eye. That is exactly what I do not want to hear. I want him to have be a proud and patriotic American but I don't want him adbandoning his Canadian roots. I wonder how much Roots clothing I can force him to wear all his life? lol

Timeline

Just wanted to add that when my mum moved from the UK to Canada at the age of 8 she remembers very vividly choosing to assimilate into the culture and her peers. She threw off her accent immediately (so much so that she remembers my Grandma saying to her - Child I can't understand a word you are saying!! - after her first day at school). I think children more than adults don't want to be singled out and want to be just like everyone else. My mother (unlike her two sisters) completely has become CDN and I don't see any "British" left in her - my two aunties (both came at the same time one a little older than Mum, the other a little younger) both still "sound" British and both have retained their citizenship and ties to the UK. My mother chose not to!

Now saying that I don't have a CDN child, but I just have always remembered that story from my mum's childhood.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

My niece who lives in Canada is half Chinese and her parents have the same concern about her remembering her Chinese heritage. She takes Chinese lessons and learns about the culture, but is an integrated Canadian through and through.

I think under the circumstances, your best hope lies in helping your son learn that he is MORE than an American - he is a true NORTH AMERICAN - a child who is from both the US and from Canada - and perhaps allow him to develop a greater sense of cultural consciousness. That will be your job, to find ways to integrate 'Canadianism' into him as he becomes Americanized. I think it is a good thing that we are all moving to a greater global awareness and your son has an opportunity to present the best of this endeavour. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
I am just going to feed my kid Canadian Kraft dinner and Canadian Heinz Ketchup and real cheese whiz... :lol: well, not just that...

That sounds like my Nephew's diet. He is a Canadian living in the U.S. - but strongly identifies himself as Canadian - I think you are on to something there Marilyn....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.