neiks

Is it possible to raise a Canadian in the US?

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't forget a steady dose of Don Cherry and Hockey Night in Canada!!! :P And ketchup chips!

Contrary to what someone else said, Canada and the US are different, in a lot of ways. It may not be immediately apparent, and not easily explained, but there are major differences, IMHO.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
And ketchup chips!

My kid's not even Canadian and he loves ketchup chips :) We've made special trips BACK to the store before leaving Canada to get those damn things.

I have quite a few students who are half Canadian. Maybe it's because we live so close to the border, but they are all extremely proud. They spend most school vacations in Canada, plan on going to college there, and are proud to be Canadian. And American too. I think as long as you instill that love for your country in him, your son will grow up proud of both heritages.

It's great for you to point it out though, because I think so many people have the idea that Canadians are just US Americans...only farther north. I had no clue until I moved to the NW and spent time in Canada and met Canadians. Course, I'm from New Orleans so we're our own breed down there :)

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Other Timeline

Make sure to teach him Canadian history, because in US schools he'll only get the US version. And read to him Chicken Soup for the Canadian Soul at bed time. And feed him real chocolate, and cookies without trans-fats and high fructose corn syrup! Feed him Shreddies for breakfast, Tim Horton's donuts for lunch, and poutine for supper!

Buy the DVDs of The Beachcombers, Due South, This Hour has 22 Minutes, Air Farce, NFB shorts, and A People's History. Mr. Dress Up and the Friendly Giant also couldn't hurt! ;)

Get a map of North America, tack it up on his bedroom wall and show him on a regular basis that our country is not called "North".

Get a satelite dish and watch CBC News World.

Buy some CDs of The Arrogant Worms, The Tragically Hip, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Gordon Lightfoot, Loreena McKennit, Enter the Haggis, and sure what the heck some Shania Twain just to round it off.

Put a Hudson Bay blanket in his crib.

Sing him Oh Canada as a bed time lullabye.

He may not ever "feel" Canadian (I think the only way that's possible is to actually grow up there), but he will be proud to say "I Am Half Canadian" and that's what matters. :)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Make sure to teach him Canadian history, because in US schools he'll only get the US version.

Oh man that made me laugh...

I would phrase it.. be sure to teach him HISTORY, because in US schools he'll only get the US version :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

definitely lots of trips back up to Canada. I think there's so much stuff to see up here...especially the historic homes and activities!

I love the DVD idea with the Beach Combers...Danger Bay! ha ha ha

And there are lots of Canadian cartoons too from TV Ontario!

I have often wondered about this same topic you are discussing. Maybe giving birth to a child in Canada and then bringing them into the U.S would make it easier for them to identify that they are Canadian too?

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

While we all want certain things for our children, all we can do is guide them. If you give him a lot of opportunity to enjoy things that are Canadian and to spend time in Canada, even if he identifies himself as an American, he will feel a special affinity for Canada. It might not be demonstrated earlier in his life, but it just might come out as he grows up. But the bottom line is that the child will determine his own identity in the end.

I can understand wanting a child to identify with their home, but it does disturb me a bit to think that this is another way of saying that you feel being Canadian is somehow superior to being American. My kids were born in the US and are raised here and I don't want them to pick up a lot of the American culture. But that's about values, and not about where they were born. They are proud Americans, but they are just as pleased that they get to spend so much time in Canada. Doesn't hurt that Canada produced SCTV of course. There are great things in every culture as well as not so good things.

My husband would like us to sponsor his boys (from a previous marriage) after we're done w/the CR1 proh-cess for him so that they have more choices for the future. He doesn't worry about their cultural heritage. He worries about their future.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
While we all want certain things for our children, all we can do is guide them. If you give him a lot of opportunity to enjoy things that are Canadian and to spend time in Canada, even if he identifies himself as an American, he will feel a special affinity for Canada. It might not be demonstrated earlier in his life, but it just might come out as he grows up. But the bottom line is that the child will determine his own identity in the end.

I can understand wanting a child to identify with their home, but it does disturb me a bit to think that this is another way of saying that you feel being Canadian is somehow superior to being American. My kids were born in the US and are raised here and I don't want them to pick up a lot of the American culture. But that's about values, and not about where they were born. They are proud Americans, but they are just as pleased that they get to spend so much time in Canada. Doesn't hurt that Canada produced SCTV of course. There are great things in every culture as well as not so good things.

My husband would like us to sponsor his boys (from a previous marriage) after we're done w/the CR1 proh-cess for him so that they have more choices for the future. He doesn't worry about their cultural heritage. He worries about their future.

So MsZ you are the American?

I'm not speaking for anyone else here who has posted, but I think, probably like any American parent ( "They are proud Americans") some Canadian parents would like their kiddies to be Proud Canadians. I don't think this necessarily stems from any feeling of superiority (although I'm absolutely sure that exists).

I don't think it's all that important really, however I do think it's a very interesting topic :)

I also find it interesting that your Husband sees his children as having more opportunity in the U.S. - just interesting because I don't see it that way at all.

Anyway, all interesting!!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
My son is now 9 and has only been here since September and has already left Canada behind him. He knows he came from there but he already has all this pride about the US. It's kind of scary. I try to keep his Canadian roots strong inside him, but it's hard. They go to school, they learn from peers, you can only do so much.

I am constantly having to remind him that he's Canadian because he has this thing of saying: "I used to be a Canadian"

*sigh* :(

Children live in a different path than us, they live in the present time, because every day they have to learn new things. They are building their identity, and, it takes time. If they know where to get the info when they need about life and heritage, they'll grow up healthy and happy.

Bassically, they will be where they live their lives...to neiks: he'll be what you'll teach him both with your spouse who is also American, and he'll be also what he'll choose to be...But i believe the most important is for him to be happy whatever he'll choose to be. Your little boy is awsome!!!

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

This is an incredibly touchy subject for many people from all countries.

I may be the last person to comment on patriotism or nationalism as I am of the mind that we are born on this planet and should have free reign.

No paperwork, no visas, not passports to travel.

Idealistic, huh?

The first thing I did when buying a second hand sailboat was remove the Canadian flag.

I am not a flag waver of any nation.

My parents came from Europe, and I was born in Canada and have spent much time in the U.S.

Do I have (heartfelt) ties anywhere?

Not really.

My papers say Canadian because they refuse to write Earthling.

I have come to realize that it is merely the place on where we were born that defines this notion.

My heart is everywhere, and the more places I see, the more love emanates from me for all of it and all the people.

The more love you give, the bigger your hreat grows and the more you have to give.

As I've said: LOVE IS A RENEWABLE RESOURCE.

What makes anyone think their country is better than anyone else's?

And what makes anyone think that had they been born somewhere else they would not feel the same way?

Hmmm?

:)

The best thing we can do for anyone young or old is open their minds up to possibilities, to differences and to acceptance.

This would end world strife.

Yes, truly idealistic.

:D

There was this great quote on patriotism being a convenient real estate thingie...but I've lost it. Oops.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

"Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles."

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i don't think anyone here is saying that Canada is better then the US... :unsure:

we just want our kids to know that they are part Canadian too...

it would be like a Chinese person living in the US wanting their children to know about their home country and traditions etc.....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
This is an incredibly touchy subject for many people from all countries.

I may be the last person to comment on patriotism or nationalism as I am of the mind that we are born on this planet and should have free reign.

No paperwork, no visas, not passports to travel.

Idealistic, huh?

The first thing I did when buying a second hand sailboat was remove the Canadian flag.

I am not a flag waver of any nation.

My parents came from Europe, and I was born in Canada and have spent much time in the U.S.

Do I have (heartfelt) ties anywhere?

Not really.

My papers say Canadian because they refuse to write Earthling.

I have come to realize that it is merely the place on where we were born that defines this notion.

My heart is everywhere, and the more places I see, the more love emanates from me for all of it and all the people.

The more love you give, the bigger your hreat grows and the more you have to give.

As I've said: LOVE IS A RENEWABLE RESOURCE.

What makes anyone think their country is better than anyone else's?

And what makes anyone think that had they been born somewhere else they would not feel the same way?

Hmmm?

:)

The best thing we can do for anyone young or old is open their minds up to possibilities, to differences and to acceptance.

This would end world strife.

Yes, truly idealistic.

:D

There was this great quote on patriotism being a convenient real estate thingie...but I've lost it. Oops.

Oh man you are so CDN that you don't even realize how CDN you are!! :lol:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
"Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles."

I guess I see a nation as a group of people who say, hey we are going to look after each other here - guess that is the principle part and the part i'm interested in participating in.

:thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

Hee hee.

YES!

And I am so much so that I can laugh at myself.

Bahaha!

Sometimes misguided passion...and yet...hmmmm.

Thanks Emancipation and Trailmix.

I did not mean to say that there was an issue here about any country being better.

I guess just this subject matter gets me going...

what does it matter.

Do teach/show/present all kinds of views, places, ideas, etc.

That is a gift.

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.