neiks

Is it possible to raise a Canadian in the US?

65 posts in this topic

My sweet little boy has just turned one year and got me thinking.... Is is possible for him to grow up in the US in the US school system and still be able to identify himself as a Canadian? Will he grow up and develope Canadian pride or is he "doomed" to be patriotic American? (I use doomed with the nicest Canadian sarcasim ;) ) We live so close to the border and will spend lots of time in Canada at the Canadian residence plus his Mommy is dedicated in her profession of protecting the Canadian society but will it still be enough?

I have talked to various dual Can/AM people that live in the US. Some which were born in Canada, some that have their Canadian citizenship derived from a Canadian parent but all have basically lived and grown up in the US. The majority of them identify themselves as an American and being considered a Canadian as well is more of a novelty notion than an identity for them.

Thoughts anyone?

My 2 still strongly identify with being Canadian, I hope that sticks with them. They love being here, their school friends, etc, but they very badly want to go back home for a visit, and they talk often about missing this or that from back home. I do my best to speak French a good part of the time that they are home (I found its better for me too, if I'm not using it daily it seems to slip away on me, and its so easy to not speak it here because hardly anyone else does) we celebrate the canadian holidays as well. Id really like them to carry both cultures with them.

I-129F sent: August 18th, 2006

NOA2: October 2nd, 2006

Packet 3 returned to Mtl: October 26th, 2006.

Medical: January 10th, 2007

Interview: January 23rd, 2007, at 2:30. APPROVED

Entry to the US: Feb 28th, 2007 POE Ivy Lea

Married: March 2nd, 2007

AOS/EAD sent May 4th, 2007

NOA1s for all 3 AOS and my EAD May 14th, dated for May 10th

EAD touched May 28th,29th, 2007, Youngest daughter's AOS touched May 29th, 2007

Biometrics: May 30th, 2007

All cases touched May 31, 2007, June 5th, 2007, August 1st, 2007

All 3 AOS transferred to California July 5th, 2007

EAD Approved July 27th, 2007

Finally movement on my AOS, touched on Feb 22 & 24th

GC May 11 2008, date of april 29th on them.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My niece who lives in Canada is half Chinese and her parents have the same concern about her remembering her Chinese heritage. She takes Chinese lessons and learns about the culture, but is an integrated Canadian through and through.

I think under the circumstances, your best hope lies in helping your son learn that he is MORE than an American - he is a true NORTH AMERICAN - a child who is from both the US and from Canada - and perhaps allow him to develop a greater sense of cultural consciousness. That will be your job, to find ways to integrate 'Canadianism' into him as he becomes Americanized. I think it is a good thing that we are all moving to a greater global awareness and your son has an opportunity to present the best of this endeavour. Good luck.

Beer, KD and HP sauce is all I need from home. :blush:

• 3 years later...

I think under the circumstances, your best hope lies in helping your son learn that he is MORE than an American - he is a true NORTH AMERICAN - a child who is from both the US and from Canada - and perhaps allow him to develop a greater sense of cultural consciousness. That will be your job, to find ways to integrate 'Canadianism' into him as he becomes Americanized. I think it is a good thing that we are all moving to a greater global awareness and your son has an opportunity to present the best of this endeavour. Good luck.

More than an American - Canadian??

I'm really hoping that there are some subtle ways to enlighten my son, knowing that there will be mostly peer brainwashing to fit in to the stereotypical American ideal. We're seeing the branding of the teenager going on here in Canada too, and I'm concerned that the lack of diversity, or the American perspective in school will override that which we as Canadians are, more globally minded, more diverse, and yes, more than Americans in that regard. The very fact that Canada is so diverse within itself is not grounds to say Canada has no culture, we are a culture of diversity. I really hope that there is some way to retain that in the middle of America.

Any updates from the posters in the thread three years later to say how their children fare on the Canadian/American scale?

My son can't wait to be an American, says he hates Canada, can't wait to go, so I've already threatened to beat him if I hear him saying zee....

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

More than an American - Canadian??

I'm really hoping that there are some subtle ways to enlighten my son, knowing that there will be mostly peer brainwashing to fit in to the stereotypical American ideal. We're seeing the branding of the teenager going on here in Canada too, and I'm concerned that the lack of diversity, or the American perspective in school will override that which we as Canadians are, more globally minded, more diverse, and yes, more than Americans in that regard. The very fact that Canada is so diverse within itself is not grounds to say Canada has no culture, we are a culture of diversity. I really hope that there is some way to retain that in the middle of America.

Any updates from the posters in the thread three years later to say how their children fare on the Canadian/American scale?

My son can't wait to be an American, says he hates Canada, can't wait to go, so I've already threatened to beat him if I hear him saying zee....

I can speak as a parent of a teenager - we arrived 3½ + yrs ago. I don't think I ever posted at the time, but 3 yrs later I can see why people want to keep Canada alive in their children's memories and values, but I also see value in allowing your child to integrate where they live. We cannot force our children to have so called 'Canadian values', as if everything here in a America is some how not good enough there's a fine line there.

If you raise your child to be considerate of others, they will be - if they are well travelled (whether it's back to Canada or elsewhere) it will expose them to a wider variety of cultures and values.

My daughter spent the first 15 yrs of her life in Canada so she soaked up a whole lot of Canadian-ness on her own. She has indeed picked up some American traits which are a nice combo - she'll never be entirely one or the other, I'm not really worried about it if she says zed or zee....she has to live here and she would like to fit in. She's had enough people point out how different she is as it is.

Guess this doesn't answer much.....based on the area we live in, I would say my daughter is far more polite then most kids, slightly (only slightly :) ) less entitled and basically as self-centred as the rest of the teens here.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Even though my little girl is only 7 months old, I already talk to her about Canada. We read stories about Canada and I will try to find some canadian kids shows on-line that she can watch now and then as well. We also try to expose her to some British things as well since Hubby is a dual US/British citizen (he was born in England). We will do our best to ensure that she has as much exposure to her other citizenships as we can and hopefully she will soak up and learn to appreciate all the things that make Canada and England great countries as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.