Krystina and Andy

Our experience with civil surgeons today....

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I just wanted to post our experience with two civil surgeons today in case anyone ever searches about it. We were gobsmacked by our experience, and really hope that no one else has a repeat!!

We printed the list of civil surgeons from the USCIS website, and I put numbers alongside the nearest ones to our home for my husband to visit today. He had his vaccinations checked when he had his K-1 medical in London, but we knew he was probably going to need an MMR booster. My husband called ahead and asked about the price for the form ($35) so he made his way there while I was at work.

He called me at work 30 minutes later, and said that the doctor (Dr. Oscar Molina) told him he required two more shots. The doctor told him that the total for the shots and the form would cost $850.00. My husband stated that this seemed unusually high, but the doctor contended that since Andrew had several of the shots he required, he could do the other two and the form for the bargain price of $600.00. I told Andrew to tell the doctor where to go, and get the hell outta there.

We called number 2 on the list, and the receptionist stated that she couldn't give us a price over the phone, so to come on by and show the doctor our information. My husband sent me a text about twenty minutes after he arrived, saying that the doctor said he only needed one shot (the MMR booster) and the form would cost $35.00. The total came to $90.00!!!!

Obviously, we were mortified. The fact is, we could have paid the $600.00. It would have stung, but it wouldn't have ruined us. The thing that disturbs me beyond no rest is that there are many, many people out there who have visited that office, and they have been so spectacularly ripped off.

I am definitely taking this further (I'm a journalist by the way.) I just wanted this to be on the forums for future reference.

Good luck to you all,

Krystina and Andrew Disney

September 2005- Andrew and I met

January 2006- He finally got the courage to ask me out!

June 2006- Moved in together

December 2006- Engaged!

January 27th 07- mailed the I-129F to Texas

February 15th 07- received NOA1!

May 7th 07- "Touched"!!!

May 8th 07- "Touched" Again!!!

June 6th 07- Received the packet from the embassy in London, no approval letter or anything sent before that!

June 12th '07- Visa Medical in London

June 26th 07- online notification that our application was approved (a little late i would say!)

June 27th 07- Interview date scheduled!

August 7th- Interview at London

August 23 07- Moved to Texas

October 6 07- Married...yay!!!!!!!!!!! Best day of our lives!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I just wanted to post our experience with two civil surgeons today in case anyone ever searches about it. We were gobsmacked by our experience, and really hope that no one else has a repeat!!

We printed the list of civil surgeons from the USCIS website, and I put numbers alongside the nearest ones to our home for my husband to visit today. He had his vaccinations checked when he had his K-1 medical in London, but we knew he was probably going to need an MMR booster. My husband called ahead and asked about the price for the form ($35) so he made his way there while I was at work.

He called me at work 30 minutes later, and said that the doctor (Dr. Oscar Molina) told him he required two more shots. The doctor told him that the total for the shots and the form would cost $850.00. My husband stated that this seemed unusually high, but the doctor contended that since Andrew had several of the shots he required, he could do the other two and the form for the bargain price of $600.00. I told Andrew to tell the doctor where to go, and get the hell outta there.

We called number 2 on the list, and the receptionist stated that she couldn't give us a price over the phone, so to come on by and show the doctor our information. My husband sent me a text about twenty minutes after he arrived, saying that the doctor said he only needed one shot (the MMR booster) and the form would cost $35.00. The total came to $90.00!!!!

Obviously, we were mortified. The fact is, we could have paid the $600.00. It would have stung, but it wouldn't have ruined us. The thing that disturbs me beyond no rest is that there are many, many people out there who have visited that office, and they have been so spectacularly ripped off.

I am definitely taking this further (I'm a journalist by the way.) I just wanted this to be on the forums for future reference.

Good luck to you all,

IT IS LEGALIZED STEALING, WHITE COLLAR CRIME, A TRUE RACKET THAT SOMEONE SHOULD REPORT TO 60 MINUTES OR SOME INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST TO DO AN UNDERCOVER STING OPERATION AND VIDEO TAPE THOSE DOCTORS IN ACTION!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Good luck to you all,

We got the two shots locally here and got the results faxed to Dr. Arnold in Austin, Tx. They did the paperwork for $10. However, there was a screwup faxing that caused a more than one week delay.

By the way, do you have any idea how long it takes to get the green card after sending off the forms? My hubby is dying to go to work. Thanks, D

Similar experience! My husband came on a K-1 visa and had a medical exam two months ago. I just called a civil surgeon's office in Atlanta and was told repeatedly by the receptionist that filling out the I-693A would cost between $180-300 dollars. I asked her repeatedly why filling out a sheet of paper would cost that much and she told me that the doctor has to do a physical exam. Back and forth we went. I am absolutely disgusted. I am quite sure that if I were a recent immigrant I would just shrug and cough up the dough. It is really awful!!!! :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a similar experience.

To transfer the vaccination document over it would cost me almost 600.00 for my son.

To transfer information from one sheet to another.

Wow I am in the wrong industry.

Thats what happens when doctors are out to make profits.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Well now that I'm hearing from some of you guys that are experiencing the same problem, I am definitely taking this further. I'm a journalist and I'm going to use all of my contacts to try and investigate.....I definitely think that there is a story here.

If anyone else has had a similar experience, please PM me, or you can email me at k dot schleicher at yahoo dot com. <Sorry, I don't need anymore spambots coming after me! It clogs up my iPhone.>

September 2005- Andrew and I met

January 2006- He finally got the courage to ask me out!

June 2006- Moved in together

December 2006- Engaged!

January 27th 07- mailed the I-129F to Texas

February 15th 07- received NOA1!

May 7th 07- "Touched"!!!

May 8th 07- "Touched" Again!!!

June 6th 07- Received the packet from the embassy in London, no approval letter or anything sent before that!

June 12th '07- Visa Medical in London

June 26th 07- online notification that our application was approved (a little late i would say!)

June 27th 07- Interview date scheduled!

August 7th- Interview at London

August 23 07- Moved to Texas

October 6 07- Married...yay!!!!!!!!!!! Best day of our lives!

Seems like most DCS must be "Quacks" or just getting started or Sh!tty doctors that don't have many clients.

I doubt that decent doctors would even consider signing up with USCIS unless they are humanitarians.

Doesn't cost anything for a doctor tp apply to be a DCS.

I had my own doctor apply as we don't have one on our island and have to fly to see one.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

The government has given these scum the right to steal. Not all civil surgeons are bad doctors but I have seen a lot more negative threads than positive. I wonder if the USCIS has a place to report this type of extortion. :angry:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

The USCIS gives an email address to complain to: uscis.webmaster@dhs.gov but it is set up for Outlook so I didn't take the time to configure it. :angry: Always have to make things difficult :angry:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good luck to you all,

We had a similar experience in San Diego. We called nearly 30 of the USCIS recommended Civil Surgeons before we found one that would complete the I-693A only. All others told us they didn't do the supplement alone - B.S.! Finally found one and while it cost us $150 for two shots, it was much better than paying the full medical all over again!

K-1 & I-601 Waiver Timeline 4/7/06 to 9/12/07

4/7/06: I-129 K-1 Application mailed

4/20/06: NOA Receipt

6/23/06: Req for Evidence

8/31/06: NOA

9/28/06: NOA- NVC rcvd I-129

10/12 & 11/9: Rcvd CDJ Ltr- processing Visa

12/6/06: CDJ Interview - Denied - I-601 Waiver Required

12/18/06: I-601 filed

8/6/07: Waiver Approval

8/22/07: Waiver Approval letter received

9/4/07: Open Appointment Letter Rcvd (postmarked 8/31/07 from Texas)

9/9/07: Arrive in CDJ for Open Appt

9/10/07: Open Appointment

9/12/07: RECEIVED K-1 VISA!

AOS - 10/8/07 to 11/21/07

9/14/07: Entered the United States

9/21/07: Happliy Married!

10/6/07: AOS Packet Mailed to Chicago Lockbox!

10/8/07: Return Receipt stamped received by USCIS

10/19/07: NOA Receipt for AOS & EAD received

10/24/07: Case Online at USCIS.gov

10/25/07: Touched

11/3/07: Biometrics Appointment

11/5/07: Touched

11/14/07: Appointment Letter received

11/16/07: EAD Production ordered.

11/21/07: AOS Interview - Approved - Hubby is Legal Permanent Resident (Conditional)

11/23/07: Registered Customer's new permanent resident status (Online Case Status)

11/25/07: Touched - Production of EAD ordered (Online Case Status)

11/26/07: On November 26, 2007, we ordered production of your new card (Green Card).

11/28/07: Received EAD Card!

11/30/07: Received Welcome to the U.S. Letter

12/1/07: Received GREEN CARD!

Best to get all your shots and take record of such to the DCS.

At least they can't overcharge you on that part.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

I also had a similar experience while I was looking around for a CS to transfer my I-693A. I wasn't even looking for vaccinations, since I'd done all of them prior to my K1 medical.

One of the offices I called bluntly told me that they had to give me the full medical. This is after I'd explained to them that due to my visa category, I'd taken a full medical examination prior to my entry into the US and therefore wasn't required by DHS to have another one. Their response: "Well if you can't prove to us that you've had this so-called medical, then you'll have to take another one." The cost would've been roughly $300 or so.

The CS I went to eventually gave me the form for $40. While the CS I dealt with was extremely nice, the rest of the staff acted like I was making them jump hoops. I overheard one of the other doctors say in the next room, "Well, it's not in our manual so I don't see why she thinks she can only do a vaccination supplement." They almost would have let me walk out of there without my supplement if I hadn't told the secretary that I needed a copy - in the end one of the nurses had to hunt down my supplement and make a photocopy for me. :angry:

I'm just appalled at the level of extortion these "certified" doctors think they can deal out. You'd think that USCIS would at least check that these doctors know what they're doing. I can't imagine the number of people who think that they have nowhere else to go and end up paying way more than they should. :(

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good luck to you all,

We got the two shots locally here and got the results faxed to Dr. Arnold in Austin, Tx. They did the paperwork for $10. However, there was a screwup faxing that caused a more than one week delay.

By the way, do you have any idea how long it takes to get the green card after sending off the forms? My hubby is dying to go to work. Thanks, D

Not to get your hopes up, but it seems to be taking about 3-4 months after mailing in AOS forms to get green card and that is if your case gets transferred to California Service Center, which also usually means no interview required. Otherwise it seems that most are in for a 4-6 month plus wait for interview date to get green card if all is going well.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have an appointment with a civil surgeon here in Fayetteville, AR tomorrow and don't know how much it will cost. If it turns out to be very expensive can I then get whatever shots and tests I need elsewhere and use a civil surgeon just for the paperwork? Also, can I use any civil surgeon? I have seen on here that there is someone in TX that will do the paperwork through the mail for #10. Could I use that CS though I live in AR? Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good luck to you all,

Not to get your hopes up, but it seems to be taking about 3-4 months after mailing in AOS forms to get green card and that is if your case gets transferred to California Service Center, which also usually means no interview required. Otherwise it seems that most are in for a 4-6 month plus wait for interview date to get green card if all is going well.

Our process from AOS submitted to today has taken less than two months (card production recently ordered)...of course we didn't have the hassle of having our file transfered to another service center.

K-1 & I-601 Waiver Timeline 4/7/06 to 9/12/07

4/7/06: I-129 K-1 Application mailed

4/20/06: NOA Receipt

6/23/06: Req for Evidence

8/31/06: NOA

9/28/06: NOA- NVC rcvd I-129

10/12 & 11/9: Rcvd CDJ Ltr- processing Visa

12/6/06: CDJ Interview - Denied - I-601 Waiver Required

12/18/06: I-601 filed

8/6/07: Waiver Approval

8/22/07: Waiver Approval letter received

9/4/07: Open Appointment Letter Rcvd (postmarked 8/31/07 from Texas)

9/9/07: Arrive in CDJ for Open Appt

9/10/07: Open Appointment

9/12/07: RECEIVED K-1 VISA!

AOS - 10/8/07 to 11/21/07

9/14/07: Entered the United States

9/21/07: Happliy Married!

10/6/07: AOS Packet Mailed to Chicago Lockbox!

10/8/07: Return Receipt stamped received by USCIS

10/19/07: NOA Receipt for AOS & EAD received

10/24/07: Case Online at USCIS.gov

10/25/07: Touched

11/3/07: Biometrics Appointment

11/5/07: Touched

11/14/07: Appointment Letter received

11/16/07: EAD Production ordered.

11/21/07: AOS Interview - Approved - Hubby is Legal Permanent Resident (Conditional)

11/23/07: Registered Customer's new permanent resident status (Online Case Status)

11/25/07: Touched - Production of EAD ordered (Online Case Status)

11/26/07: On November 26, 2007, we ordered production of your new card (Green Card).

11/28/07: Received EAD Card!

11/30/07: Received Welcome to the U.S. Letter

12/1/07: Received GREEN CARD!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.