Misty1979

OK.. WTF!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

With one week to go, I'm still struggling with my joint sponsor issue, and I can't find a phone number to call with any sort of helpful information. I just got off the phone with USCIS, and they told me in more words or less that my joint sponsor's $90,000 in the bank cannot be used as assets since that money could easily be spent up in a day and would therefore be no help to me if I was to need it. They said it would need to be locked away somewhere in order for us to use it. We have it in some sort of Money Market account, so I'm not sure if that helps us at all.

But what they said to me makes no sense because if the money is locked away in some account, it would not be available if we needed it anyways. Also, the I-864 itself says that it needs to be accessible within one year.

I already called the DOS to try to ask them some questions, but they gave me USCIS's number. USCIS just proved to be useless, and I'm going to try emailing MTL, but I highly doubt they are going to answer with any helpful info, if they even answer at all.

Does anyone know what kind of bank account exactly we need to put this money in? :help:

Also..we are having one of our properties appraised tomorrow to help back up the money in the bank, but the house itself will be worth no more than $70-80k we figure, so we do need to figure out this bank issue pretty quickly.

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Have you called the NVC?? Because I remember that, for assets, all you had to show was that it could be liquidated in a reasonable amount of time. There was no nonsense about "gee you could spend it in one day".

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Let's understand who is going to adjudicate the I-864 for you as that is who you must speak with, in this case it is NOT the USCIS so any answer you get from them may not be worth anything.

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

Ironic how if you insert the letter "L" into USCIS you come up with USCLIS (useless). Sorry... don't have any wise words... just some wisecracks. Like the fact that employment income can also be easily spent up in one day so what's the point of that comment? whatever (lol)

iagree.gif

Timeline
Let's understand who is going to adjudicate the I-864 for you as that is who you must speak with, in this case it is NOT the USCIS so any answer you get from them may not be worth anything.

great bpoint ask Montreal becuse they will b making the final decesion. I had a co sponsor as a family member and the guys was not too happy my wife was not working but he looked at my father inlaws income and was satisfied

Sent I-130 ---october 23rd 2006

NO1 --- November 9th 2006

RFE for marriage certificate--- Jan 03 2007

RFE sent JAN 10th 2007

NO2 Jan 28th 2007

Sent DS3020 March 14th 2007 via email

Email accepted --- March 18th 2007

Sent both I864 and DS230 April 23rd 2007

RFE For both I864 and DS230 may 10th 2007

RFE reply Sent on may 14th 2007

Case completed May 29th 2007

Medicals: October 2nd 2007

Interview: November 27th 2007 *** APROVED

Visa received November 29th 2007

POE:Detroit December 4th, 2007

Applied for SSN: December 5th, 2007 Pending

SSN Received: December 12, 2007

Green card Received: December 29,2007

I751 September 8, 2009

Biometrics October 22, 2009

I-751 Approved November 18th, 2009

Done for good!!!!!!!!

Timeline

LOL...that's funny because after hanging up with USCIS I basically tossed everything they told me out the window. I know it's going to be up to the interviewer himself..but how the heck do I find out what he is going to want to see? I'm stuck now trying to decide whether or not to ask my MIL to lock this money away somewhere, or leave it as it is and risk not being able to be home with my husband for Christmas.

Another question if you all don't mind:

How do we prove that there is no lien or mortgage owing on the houses? We are having one appraised tomorrow, but if need be, we will have them all appraised. We can easily get the deeds for the houses, and the recent appraisals..but we are very unsure how to prove that she doesn't owe anything on any of these properties.

Ideas anyone?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

LOL...that's funny because after hanging up with USCIS I basically tossed everything they told me out the window. I know it's going to be up to the interviewer himself..but how the heck do I find out what he is going to want to see? I'm stuck now trying to decide whether or not to ask my MIL to lock this money away somewhere, or leave it as it is and risk not being able to be home with my husband for Christmas.

Another question if you all don't mind:

How do we prove that there is no lien or mortgage owing on the houses? We are having one appraised tomorrow, but if need be, we will have them all appraised. We can easily get the deeds for the houses, and the recent appraisals..but we are very unsure how to prove that she doesn't owe anything on any of these properties.

Ideas anyone?

I agree that the USCLIS operator was just giving you here own personal opinion - and it makes absolutely no sense. We used cash assets and NVC did not have a problem with it at all, Montreal will hopefully not.

As for the house, that's a good question and interesting the way they word it in the instructions:

If you wish to include the net value of your home, this, you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home.

Just noticed they have an error in the document! But I digress, anyway it sounds like they only want to see the lien/mortgage/loan information if it applies - they don't actually ask you to prove that there aren't any. hmmm

Timeline

it probably depends on the state, but I think the lien should be clearly printed on the title. once the lien is paid off you go get another title-at least that's how it's done in WY. Not the same but when I had a lien on a car in MT the bank kept the title till it was paid off. either way if you have a clear deed in your posession-that's proof that there's not lien

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

As I understand assets (vs income) "count" as 1/5. Meaning you need 5 times as much in assets compare to income to meet the requirements.

The $90K in the bank doesn't count as even $20K and I believe you need more than that for a household of 2.

You could put the $$ into a CD?

When you home was paid off, I expect you received something from the bank - the deed in your name, maybe? That would be proof. Needs to be in your name or the co-sponsors.

Timeline
As I understand assets (vs income) "count" as 1/5. Meaning you need 5 times as much in assets compare to income to meet the requirements.

The $90K in the bank doesn't count as even $20K and I believe you need more than that for a household of 2.

You could put the $$ into a CD?

When you home was paid off, I expect you received something from the bank - the deed in your name, maybe? That would be proof. Needs to be in your name or the co-sponsors.

You only need $17,112 for a household size of two. $17,112 x 5 = $85560, which still leaves us above the mark.

I will definetely ask her though if she received something from the bank since she paid the house off. (She only paid it off earlier this month, so I'm not sure if they would send a new deed out that quickly.)

Thanks for all the feedback guys:)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

not to come off the wrong way but..

does the sponsor not work now?

I know on the I-864 it says use assets if you dont make over the poverty line..

my joint sponsor makes 90k so i didnt even bother to but his assets in.

Edited by Earmuffs

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Timeline
not to come off the wrong way but..

does the sponsor not work now?

I know on the I-864 it says use assets if you dont make over the poverty line..

my joint sponsor makes 90k so i didnt even bother to but his assets in.

No, she isn't working at the moment. She is pretty much still in the grieving process from losing her husband (my previous sponsor)unexpectedly last month, so I doubt she will be wanting to return to work any time soon. (I don't blame her :( )

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline
And you don't work because???

You need to count all person's in co-sponsors household + your husband - maybe that is only 2. The 2 is not you and him.

First off, let's not mince words. A "Co-sponsor" is a person that lives in the same residence as the sponsor. The sponsor is my husband, and does not live with his mother, so the above term does not apply to our situation. I am the Canadian Citizen, and thank you very much, but I DO work. Two full time jobs to be exact, not that it helps our case since you need US income to meet the requirements, not Canadian income. If the not working comment was aimed at my husband, he is attending college full-time and receives Veteran's benefits from serving in the Coast Guard to pay for his schooling. The payments he receives are about $2000 short of the required income.

A "Joint Sponsor" can be any US Citizen or Permanent Resident, who does not reside in the same household as the sponsor. This is what we are using. Since the joint sponsor lives on her own, her household size would only be two to include her and myself. My husband is not included because he is over 21 and does not reside with her.

Please refrain from responding if you don't have any valid advice. Derogoratory comments about my working/personal situation are also not appreciated.

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: Other Timeline

You can't count the potential immigrant's income on the affidavit of support because said immigrant will no longer have a job or income once they leave their home country and move to the US. That's the purpose of the sponsorship and affidavit of support.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.