OK.. WTF!

34 posts in this topic

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So where are you up to Misty? All sorted out now?

Meh. Still up the creek without a paddle. Hubby calls Veteran Affairs today to see if he can get a copy of his "income" from them, and to make sure it is being processed. They haven't started sending his checks yet, but we know they are going to be paying him $1200/mo while he attends school for three years, we just need some documentation to prove it. The checks were supposed to start coming 3 months ago, but his college screwed up the application process, so it is supposed to start coming in literally any day now.

Veteran Affairs still hasn't processed his application. I now have 3 business days left in which to light a fire under their a$$es and get them to send his first check as well as a letter of some sort showing his monthly benefits etc.

On the MIL's side, her paperwork is all outdated. Her bank statement showing how much money was in her Money Market account is over a month old, and the amount that it shows in there is now 4 times as much as what is actually there now, since she moved the funds to another account. I tried gently explaining that she needs to contact them and get them to fax an updated copy ASAP, and she doesn't understand why, so getting her to do it has been an adventure so far. She also can't find any of her house deeds. Trying to explain that we will need them for the interview isn't going so well either.

However...the house appraisal will be in our hands Tuesday..one day before I leave. At least something is working for us lol.

The rest I'm sure will work out, we just need to keep pestering the VA and hope my MIL sees the light soon.

Cross your fingers for us...and a truck load of that fairy dust you guys have been spreading around couldn't hurt either :D

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
tinkerbellwf7.gif

Wow, you certainly will be on the run. I'm absolutely sure it will all come together :)

:D:D:D

Aw you two are the best!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Hey Misty

I don't want to add to your worries, but be prepared for the interviewer to not like your hubby's letter stating his support from the VA. There's no reason that the letter is perfectly good proof of income, they just seem to only see paystubs and therefor expect paystubs.

Here's why I'm saying this: I only get my stipend 10 months out of the year so when we went to our interview it looked like I hadn't worked for 2 months. I took my fall semester contract AND my admission letter from my Uni saying that I was guaranteed support through 2009. The interviewer asked why I wasn't working and when I expected to work again-which threw me a little, especially since my stipend isn't enough and we had a co-sponsor (or is it joint, now I'm confused). It was fine once I explained the situation and emphasized the fact that I had a contract and a support for 2 more years. He didn't ask anything about our co-sponsors. He also asked the hubby why he anyone would be interested in hiring him. So, just be prepared to dazzle him/her with all the reasons that US companies are dying to hire you-other than the obvious fact that you're fab.

breath deeply dear, you're almost there.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline
Hey Misty

I don't want to add to your worries, but be prepared for the interviewer to not like your hubby's letter stating his support from the VA. There's no reason that the letter is perfectly good proof of income, they just seem to only see paystubs and therefor expect paystubs.

Here's why I'm saying this: I only get my stipend 10 months out of the year so when we went to our interview it looked like I hadn't worked for 2 months. I took my fall semester contract AND my admission letter from my Uni saying that I was guaranteed support through 2009. The interviewer asked why I wasn't working and when I expected to work again-which threw me a little, especially since my stipend isn't enough and we had a co-sponsor (or is it joint, now I'm confused). It was fine once I explained the situation and emphasized the fact that I had a contract and a support for 2 more years. He didn't ask anything about our co-sponsors. He also asked the hubby why he anyone would be interested in hiring him. So, just be prepared to dazzle him/her with all the reasons that US companies are dying to hire you-other than the obvious fact that you're fab.

breath deeply dear, you're almost there.

I admire forth-rightness more than anything else, so thank you for sharing your situation with me.

I am (at least in my mind) prepared to go in there and do battle. I really can't say much about my husband's income other than what I will be showing them. Some lady at the college screwed up his application, so we may very well end up walking in there with no income to show them from my husband's end of things. We are going to breathe down the VA's necks tomorrow to hurry up and process his app, but other than that, we are on our own. When it comes to myself...well I don't have a diploma or anything along those lines yet either. I'm an exceptionally hard worker (the two full time jobs was one example), and have been in many management positions, but I expect neither of them to help me any during this interview.

The best picture I can paint comes from my joint sponsor's end of things. The three houses she owns (we only have one appraised, but are planning to show deeds to the two others, to show that she does have other assets around,) and the lump of cash in the bank. I have a feeling that if we were to just get one more property appraised, everything would be fine, but my MIL is hesitant to do so, even though my husband and I will shoulder the cost of the appraisal.

My MIL is one of the best people I have been lucky enough to know. Every time she comes into our house, she routinely looks through the cupboards to make sure we have enough food, then slips cash into a place where she knows we won't find it until the next day to help us get by, even though she knows we don't really need it. She's just always been that way. She is also extremely stubborn and will be attending my interview with me, so if they give me any problems, I have no doubt in my mind she will challenge the interviewer to an arm-wrestle to determine whether or not I am approved.

I'll make sure to keep you all updated on how this pans out. Tomorrow we are making phone calls all over the place in order to gather some last minute documents that we'll be needing. Just crossing my fingers that everything will come together come interview time :)

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: Other Timeline
On the MIL's side, her paperwork is all outdated. Her bank statement showing how much money was in her Money Market account is over a month old, and the amount that it shows in there is now 4 times as much as what is actually there now, since she moved the funds to another account. I tried gently explaining that she needs to contact them and get them to fax an updated copy ASAP, and she doesn't understand why, so getting her to do it has been an adventure so far. She also can't find any of her house deeds. Trying to explain that we will need them for the interview isn't going so well either.

can she get access to her account and print a statement from the internet? Its usually pretty easy to set it up and print it, if she's got a computer.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

can she get access to her account and print a statement from the internet? Its usually pretty easy to set it up and print it, if she's got a computer.

Ooh hadn't considered that yet, but you're right..that would be much easier.

I'll definetely bring that up when I call her later today:)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline

Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and wishing you good luck. :)

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Timeline
Hey Misty

I'll make sure to keep you all updated on how this pans out. Tomorrow we are making phone calls all over the place in order to gather some last minute documents that we'll be needing. Just crossing my fingers that everything will come together come interview time :)

You have a good attitude about this. I think anytime one approaches the consulate with anything that is out of the norm you have to be prepared and you will be!

Good advice there thermophile. I am always reminded of Colin Wilson and his retirement income, which they wouldn't accept - although they claim that proving that your income will continue in the U.S. is good enough, it obviously isn't. But he was prepared and overcame that. Then there was Lance, I believe he was the one, who had to dash out of the consulate with his wife and get copies of their bank statements online, print and return to the consulate.

You are going to be prepared for all the questions Misty, so you will be fine and I think it's great that your MIL is attending the interview with you.

Timeline

It's coming together!!!

FINALLY today, we made some progress with our new I-864 package. The house appraisal came in, and instead of the house being worth $80-90k like we thought, it was up at $110k :)

We stopped at the courthouse and got a certified copy of the deed for the house, so that takes care of that.

My MIL has received her updated bank statements now, and things are looking well in that department. All that's left now is filling out the I-864 for both my MIL and my husband, which after all we've done so far, will be a piece of cake I'm sure ;)

We also have an extra tax assessment (thanks to IR5FORMUMSIE's skillz) along with an extra property deed just incase they want to see more assets, even though we are well above the line.

My last dilemma is how the heck I'm going to manage to drink myself silly enough to be able to set foot on the plane without my MIL noticing my new-found tippsiness. You'd think after 1 1/2 years of travelling back and forth from BC to NC I'd have kicked the phobia, but it's still here, and this time I'm going to have company on the plane, so drinking myself to the brink of unconsciousness is no longer an option :P

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline
It's coming together!!!

FINALLY today, we made some progress with our new I-864 package. The house appraisal came in, and instead of the house being worth $80-90k like we thought, it was up at $110k :)

We stopped at the courthouse and got a certified copy of the deed for the house, so that takes care of that.

My MIL has received her updated bank statements now, and things are looking well in that department. All that's left now is filling out the I-864 for both my MIL and my husband, which after all we've done so far, will be a piece of cake I'm sure ;)

We also have an extra tax assessment (thanks to IR5FORMUMSIE's skillz) along with an extra property deed just incase they want to see more assets, even though we are well above the line.

My last dilemma is how the heck I'm going to manage to drink myself silly enough to be able to set foot on the plane without my MIL noticing my new-found tippsiness. You'd think after 1 1/2 years of travelling back and forth from BC to NC I'd have kicked the phobia, but it's still here, and this time I'm going to have company on the plane, so drinking myself to the brink of unconsciousness is no longer an option :P

I never doubted you would get it all organized :thumbs:

Personally I don't like flying and won't anymore, however if it were me I would just go ahead and drink, maybe get her to join in !!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.