RaspberrySwirl

German pot luck at work

21 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals,

I need some help coming up with a recipe for a potluck at work. The theme's German.

I was thinking about some kind of dessert.

Preferably, something vegetarian.

I have no idea what to make o.o.

Thanks!

Hi guys and gals,

I need some help coming up with a recipe for a potluck at work. The theme's German.

Thanks!

German and vegetarian? Sorry.

Yeah I know, but I'm the only vegetarian at work and everyone else already has meaty stuff added to the list.

:lol:

I think I'll stick to black forest cake. NUM! :P

Yeah I know, but I'm the only vegetarian at work and everyone else already has meaty stuff added to the list.

:lol:

I think I'll stick to black forest cake. NUM! :P

I was going to suggest a Schwarzwalden Kirsche Torte or Black Forest Cherry Cake. I had to make one for German class when I was a freshmen in high school, about 17 years ago. I'm pretty sure I butchered the spelling. :) I don't have the recipe but I do remember that if you make the cake from scratch you need to use a glass bowl to whip the eggs. I think we went through about 2 dozen before we figured that tidbit out. haha

I think there may be a german potato salad recipe floating somewhere. Or you could make a streusel.

Edited by JenAlex

07/18/2007: Married in Gretna Green, Scotland

08/29/2007: I-130 Application Recieved at NSC

12/21/2007: Received NOA1 from CSC

01/08/2008: Touched-Change of Address

2229.gif

.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Or, to make it a bit easier, you simply buy a glass of cherries (or can), heavy whipping cream and some ginger bread (with or without chocolate), take a glass bowl and layer those ingredients: crumbled ginger bread, cherries (if you like, you can pour a little rum over them) and whipped cream, then crumbled ginger bread again and so on... end it with whipped cream and sprinkle grated chocolate on top - done. let it sit for at least 2-3 hours before serving. tastes similar to black forest cake and is really easy ;)

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

I just came back from Germany and we had a Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte for my Mom's Birthday there, it was gooooooooood !

The non German easy way : slice 2 round chocolate cakes and layer with cherry pie filling with whipped creme. Top with chocolate shavings and cherries and whipped creme.

What about a mix of Kartoffelpuffer ( Potatoe pancakes) with applesauce ? Small ones, so they are easy to flip over.

You can get them in the German section of most bigger food chains. All you do is mix it with water, stir, let sit for 10 min and

fry in oil on both sides.

OK not too healthy but yummy !

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my sis-in-law made a simple black forest cake.. but i am not sure exactly how she does it...

but i found these recipes ...

Quick and Easy Black Forest Cake

1 box devil's food cake mix

1 (16-oz.) can cherry pie filling

1 container milk chocolate frosting

1 bundt shaped baking pan

Grease and flour bundt pan or spray thoroughly with non-stick spray.

Prepare cake mix as directed on box. Add the entire can of cherries. Stir until cherries are evenly spread through the mix. Pour batter into

pan and bake as directed. (I usually cook the cake for 5 extra minutes after I have tested it for doneness.) Remove from the oven and put on a cake platter before it cools and sticks to the pan.

When cake is totally cooled, melt the container of frosting in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (check first to make sure there is not a tinfoil lined top still on container). Check frosting by stirring with a knife. Pour onto cooled cake in "drip-like" stripes. Chill for an hour.

Serves: 6 to 8

mmm, this one looks good....

Easiest Black Forest Cake

1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix, baked as directed in 9 x 13 inch pan and left in pan

1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed

1 tablespoon almond extract

2 tablespoons vanilla extract

1 (5 1/8 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding, prepared as directed (use gelatin-free version to make vegetarian)

1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

chocolate sprinkles

maraschino cherries

1. Mix cherry pie filling and almond extract.

2. While cake is still warm, poke top all over with fork and spread the cherry filling mixture all over the top.

3. When you prepare vanilla pudding, make it as directed on box, but add the vanilla extract to it with the milk.

4. Fold Cool Whip into pudding.

5. Spread pudding mixture over cake, covering the cherry pie filling.

6. Decorate with chocolate sprinkles and cherries.

7. Chill until serving time.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

mmmm, this one looks good too ...

Black Forest Brownies

20 ounces fudge brownie mix (to fit 13'x9-inch pan)

1/2 cup oil (or follow package directions)

1/4 cup water (or follow package directions)

2 eggs (3 for a more cakey brownie, or follow package directions)

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup whipping cream (heavy)

1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling

2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (or 2 oz. chocolate chips)

1. Prepare and bake brownies, following pkg. directions, using a 13"x9" pan. Cool on a wire rack.

2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.

3. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into cream cheese mixture.

4. Spread over the brownies. Top with pie filling.

5. In a microwave or small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle the chocolate over the brownies.

6. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes to set chocolate. Enjoy!

7. Yield: 2 dozen.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I can't wait to get to Germany in 23 days :)

Good luck, Raspberry. Let us know what you decided to make.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Hi guys and gals,

Thanks!

so funny!!!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline

This ís something really German, it is like a bread and butter pudding with cherries. Only disadvantage is that it should be served warm, but it's also yummy cold.

It's even better when you sprinkle some crumble on top - yummy! We usually have it with thick vanilla sauce, that is the best.

Kirschenmichel.pdf

I made Schwarzwaelder (2 of them) as our wedding cake... a girlfriend and I tried a bunch of recipes and wound up with a conconction of our own. Very authentic. Not easy though, so I won't post it... The trick is getting the cake right.... not to chocolatey, not too dry.. but not too moist because you soak in some Kirsch liquor and you don't want it to fall apart when you cut it..... I was sick of Schwarzwaelder by our wedding day, but it was worth it!

We had a small, simple ceremony/reception with a lot of symbolism... the Schwarzwaelder was the first dessert we'd eaten together in Germany and it's my absolute favorite cake, so that was a no-brainer.

Good luck!!

And I'd love some more dessert ideas! Keep them coming!!

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi guys and gals,

Thanks!

das ist verboten! :help:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Apfelstrudel :thumbs:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline