Green Bean Casserole  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• yes
    • no

99 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
i love string bean casserole, we make it with the golden mushroom soup though because it's just prettier looking to us! :)

i used believe that cranberries were can shaped and delicious too! but now my mommie makes this yummy cranberry jello mold w/ fuji apple bits, fresh cranberries and pineapple.

sounds yummy :thumbs:

our holiday tradition growing up was to make jello but then forget to put it on the table :lol: we usually remembered in the middle of the meal or sometimes not until we were finished :lol:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marilyn do you use a potato ricer for your mashed potatoes? I tried that last year and its unbelievable! So light and fluffy. I think this year I'm gonna put some cheese in my potatoes and put in a casserole dish and top with bread crumbs and parm cheese and bake it. I'm trying to put a different spin on everything this year, except cranberry jelly from a can which is already perfect and should not be messed with!

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

(they usually make instant mashed potaotes... gasp.. :o oh the horror)

oh, that is wrong. :yes:

We are hosting - I'm nervous! It's 7 people. All homemade - sausage & chestnut stuffing, cranberry sauce, roasted garlic mash & gravy, green bean casserole, rolls, broccoli, pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream & my friend is bringing sweet potato souffle. Oh, and lots of wine! :)

The other friends are going to surprise us!

I always make fresh whipped cream too, its the best. One year by accident I got Bavarian whipping cream, best mistake I ever made. It's slightly sweetened and has a touch of vanilla. :thumbs:

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline
Marilyn do you use a potato ricer for your mashed potatoes? I tried that last year and its unbelievable! So light and fluffy. I think this year I'm gonna put some cheese in my potatoes and put in a casserole dish and top with bread crumbs and parm cheese and bake it. I'm trying to put a different spin on everything this year, except cranberry jelly from a can which is already perfect and should not be messed with!

no, I just use the hand mixer but I make sure and add plenty of butter and milk.... i have heard that you can add some sour cream to replace some of the milk.... i haven't tried that yet....

mashed potatoes are one of my comfort foods... when I was living on my own sometimes all I would make for dinner for myself was some mashed potatoes and cream gravy... yum!! yum!!

except cranberry jelly from a can which is already perfect and should not be messed with!

you got that right :thumbs:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
greenBeanCasserole.jpg

Hubby hates it but I feel its trashy American goodness must be made for Thursday.

LOL...you nailed it perfectly. The can of mushroom soup makes it really salty though. I'm still not sure if I'll make it for Jinky's first Thanksgiving or not.

I agree Marilyn, it just ain't thanksgiving unless you have cranberry sauce in the shape of a can! :thumbs:

It's so easy to make Cranberry sauce from fresh berries...just add sugar and water...and boil.

Timeline
greenBeanCasserole.jpg

Hubby hates it but I feel its trashy American goodness must be made for Thursday.

LOL...you nailed it perfectly. The can of mushroom soup makes it really salty though. I'm still not sure if I'll make it for Jinky's first Thanksgiving or not.

I agree Marilyn, it just ain't thanksgiving unless you have cranberry sauce in the shape of a can! :thumbs:

It's so easy to make Cranberry sauce from fresh berries...just add sugar and water...and boil.

I think they may have mushroom soup with less sodium....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I do make it from scratch as well, except I add orange zest and orange juice. That is for everyone else, for me, gotta have the can man!

Timeline
greenBeanCasserole.jpg

it might be easy but it doesn't taste right .....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

To me, the cranberry sauce has always reminded me of those yucky fruit cakes grandmas always seem to send out come Christmas time. Nobody likes them, but they always end up on the table :P

Green bean casserole on the other hand, is a MUST!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
To me, the cranberry sauce has always reminded me of those yucky fruit cakes grandmas always seem to send out come Christmas time. Nobody likes them, but they always end up on the table :P

Green bean casserole on the other hand, is a MUST!

ummm, everybody I know likes it ... :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
greenBeanCasserole.jpg

:thumbs: Good idea. Also, the dried onions are really salty. I found a can of Trader Joe's brand this weekend. :)

Filed: Other Timeline
greenBeanCasserole.jpg

:thumbs: Good idea. Also, the dried onions are really salty. I found a can of Trader Joe's brand this weekend. :)

Hey Steven, I know she's expecting and suppose to take it easy on the sodium, but it's Thanksgiving day for crying out loud.......and her first one too......

Just fix everything the way it's supposed to be (full of cholesterol, starch, gluten and all the other bad stuff) then have her put her feet up!

Timeline
greenBeanCasserole.jpg

Hey Steven, I know she's expecting and suppose to take it easy on the sodium, but it's Thanksgiving day for crying out loud.......and her first one too......

Just fix everything the way it's supposed to be (full of cholesterol, starch, gluten and all the other bad stuff) then have her put her feet up!

:blush: LOL.. I've got to be able fit in my fancy pants afterward. Actually, I've got most of everything I need for the dinner and swath of butter or extra saucy goodness will be spared. In fact, I'm planning having it all on the table by 1 or 2pm so we all can lay on our sides like lion seals basking on the beach.

Hehehe.....The first time I watched hubby make this I was horrified :o Now I make it all the time.....I had never heard of cooking with tins of soup before :lol:

Oh .... I also add courgettes because it makes me feel better to have something fresh in there :P

Edited by thanksforthefish

Timeline
Hehehe.....The first time I watched hubby make this I was horrified :o Now I make it all the time.....I had never heard of cooking with tins of soup before :lol:

Oh .... I also add courgettes because it makes me feel better to have something fresh in there :P

I'll send you my family's bean supreme recipe sometime....the most important kitchen utensil is the can opener. :P