firstbenjamin

Removing Conditions while divorcing

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Our marriage isn't working at all. We started off as a perfect match, but eventually everything went apart and now we really can't deal with each other anymore. Twice this year she had filed for divorce. The first time she called it off, and this second time I believe we'll be showing up in court for real. This whole marriage thing is getting me really depressed, and every time she brings up an argument, the only thing I can think about is my status.

Now we filed for removal of conditions on my conditional residency together last month, and I just got NOA1. We have since been living apart, and for the fact that I didn't have to face any arguments everyday, i feel really relieved. With our divorce case still pending, I am presently seeing someone else as that is one way I could deal with the strength of getting out of a bad relationship.

All of a sudden, I got a call from her today talking about how she wants me back. i have been dealing with that for about three years, she leaves whenever she feels like it and returns whenever she feels like it. She's the one that threatens me with divorce over and over, and now she needs me back. I'm so tired of being flipped off and on like a switch and thought i need some peace like the one i already have in my present relationship. i told her we needed to actually try life apart because its pointless working a marriage that never worked a single day. Its almost like we just have two different personalities, and that is what we can't keep deceiving each other about. She got enraged and talked about how she's going to make me regret not wanting her back. I know her so well, and believe the only thing she would do is call the immigrations and fabricate some lies. Its been like that since the first time we had an argument. I got here on K1 visa with her as the petitioner, before our marriage her threats we all about calling the immigrations to tell them she didn't want me no more. Our wedding day was one day I always cry whenever I remember it because she flipped right there at the altar and started an argument. The next day after the wedding was another argument and the next thing she thought of was to destroy our marriage license. She'll come over to my work and start a fight with me right there, I still think that is strange. I just feel like a victim every single day, and the only reason i pulled through this far is not to hurt my immigration status.

Now I don't really know where I stand. I don't want to be in the marriage anymore, and that is why I decided to let her go on with the divorce proceedings. like i stated, we already did a joint filing on the removal of conditions, and some of the documents we submitted were:

1. Joint Bank statements ( Randomly selected to cover our three years of marriage)

2. Jointly filed tax returns (2005 and 2006)

3. Both of our pay-stubs showing the same address.

4. Burden passes for a trip we went on.

4. Auto insurance on both of our cars in both of our names.

5. Both of our driver's licenses showing the same address.

6. Accidental insurance covering both of us.

7. Water, cable and electricity bills (Some in both of our names, and some in just one person's name)

8. Many pictures at different events we attended.

We probably sent a few other stuffs I can't remember. What i don't understand is

1. If our divorce gets finalized before the removal of conditions is completed, what happens to my status?

2. If she happens to call the immigrations to make any false accusations, how again will that affect me.

I tried talking to a few friends that went through being in a bad relationship like mine, and I don't quite agree with their suggesting that I just have to keep taking all the pain and keep feeling depressed about a non-working marriage.

I probably should be talking to a lawyer now, but i don't know if my case is that serious. Please comment if you've had a similar experience.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not have similar experience, but your case is VERY serious :o

You do need a lawyer asap if you want to stay in the US. Your wife does not even have to fabricate any lies - all she has to do is to let USCIS know that you are in the divorce proceedings.

If you had finalized your divorce before submitting all the paperwork to the USCIS, you would most likely be all right.

If your divorce is not finalized until your conditions are removed (ie USCIS never finds out about your divorce) - you may be all right, although that would be borderline fraud, I suppose...

If USCIS finds out about the divorce pending, they will deny your application.

Dude, I don't want to scare you, but you are in serious trouble and better do something about it.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

a couple of years ago you was the USC and petitioned for your filipina girls... now your the one who came here on the K1 and your wife the USC :wacko:

Edited by tweety

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

a couple of years ago you was the USC and petitioned for your filipina girls... now your the one who came here on the K1 and your wife the USC :wacko:

Where is all these posts about the filipina girls coming from. Someone said that before the last time I posted something, and now again. I don't understand what is going on.

You do need a lawyer asap if you want to stay in the US. Your wife does not even have to fabricate any lies - all she has to do is to let USCIS know that you are in the divorce proceedings.

If you had finalized your divorce before submitting all the paperwork to the USCIS, you would most likely be all right.

If your divorce is not finalized until your conditions are removed (ie USCIS never finds out about your divorce) - you may be all right, although that would be borderline fraud, I suppose...

Dude, I don't want to scare you, but you are in serious trouble and better do something about it.

Thank you for the info. I've been thinking that is the best way out.

Timeline

Where is all these posts about the filipina girls coming from. Someone said that before the last time I posted something, and now again. I don't understand what is going on.

Just because we currently don't have access to the posts of 05 doesn't mean we forget.... there is more than just me that remember you and your postings of 2005.... it would be hard to forget a troll like you.... thanks for the laughs....

animal-smiley-085.gif

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

Just because we currently don't have access to the posts of 05 doesn't mean we forget.... there is more than just me that remember you and your postings of 2005.... it would be hard to forget a troll like you.... thanks for the laughs....

Well then, you have the wrong person, I'm in no way affiliated with filipino. My only post about anything filipino was when a filipino lady on this forum asked for some advice. I NEVER EVER POSTED ANYTHING ABOUT BEING A USC, if I was why would I be here reading about immigrants' problems? Its amazing how some people just love showing everyone they're dumb. I need an advice from A SANE PERSON pls.

Edited by firstbenjamin

Timeline

Well then, you have the wrong person, I'm in no way affiliated with filipino. My only post about anything filipino was when a filipino lady on this forum asked for some advice. I NEVER EVER POSTED ANYTHING ABOUT BEING A USC, if I was why would I be here reading about immigrants' problems? Its amazing how some people just love showing everyone they're dumb. I need an advice from A SANE PERSON pls.

correction, you wasn't the one with the filipina ladies (that was bholiday if memory doesn't fail me again), you was the one with the unbelievable tales of your friends.... again thanks for the laughs.... it's hard to get real replies to questions when you've been trolling around before... good luck...

and you might want to try this forum with your question about I751+divorce:

"Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits"

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=127

Edited by tweety

animal-smiley-085.gif

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

correction, you wasn't the one with the filipina ladies (that was bholiday if memory doesn't fail me again), you was the one with the unbelievable tales of your friends.... again thanks for the laughs.... it's hard to get real replies to questions when you've been trolling around before... good luck...

and you might want to try this forum with your question about I751+divorce:

"Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits"

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=127

Thanks for the info, it was helpful. Thanks again.

Filed: Timeline

None of this is correct. Please don't post if you are going to lead an alien astray.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sounds like what you can read on the Russian-language immigration-related forums. The general attitude on these forums seems to be that one can't lift conditions without a spouse, and immigrants are convinced they should stay even in abusive relationships just because everyone is saying that it's not possible to lift conditions if divorced and "there was never a single successful case like that". Which is, of course, incorrect.

OP - if your divorce is finalized before the I-751 is approved, you will need to withdraw it and file another one (a waiver), with the box "d" checked. Yes, you will need to pay the fee again :( With three years of marriage, if you have a lot of evidence of co-mingling your lives, I don't think you will face any problems. But of course, it is always recommended to consult a qualified immigration lawyer.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

What happened to the season passes @ disney land. Why didnt that work. Im sure thats why she coming bak. have mom hide them in the attic.

good luck benji

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Cute, what do you know about Benji? if you have nothing to post that is informative then do not post at all. :angry:

What happened to the season passes @ disney land. Why didnt that work. Im sure thats why she coming bak. have mom hide them in the attic.

good luck benji

Cute, what do you know about Benji? if you have nothing to post that is informative then do not post at all. :angry:

good luck benji

lol...this op has a long history here..posting traumatic stories either about himself or people he knows..

sister cindi..sister tweety and others, have dealt with him prior...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.