ktun

Short Connection at ORD

18 posts in this topic

We're making our trip back to the UK this coming Friday 21st April. We have a very short time to make our connection at ORD, only 30 minutes from the time our plane is due to arrive at ORD until the time our plane to London leaves. We've gone through ORD before, but always had around 2 hours to make the connection. Anyone who is familiar with ORD, do you think it is possible on a Friday afternoon/evening to make that connection bearing in mind that we'll have to change terminals? It is the last flight out that evening too and I'd hate to be stuck in the airport overnight. The flights were booked for us, so we didn't get to pick the times.

Thank you

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

When I worked for United(Express) for a couple years, we used to book business people with about 30-minute connections in ORD all the time...we tried to allow more of course, but many times we took what was available, or THEY preferred it tight like that as they were familiar with the terminals,etc, thought they could make it, and didn't feel like waiting around. My opinion is, you can make it, but you'll have to really hussle(as you don't want to get there at the very last minute either..if the flights are all booked they could give your seats to standbys!!...whatever you do, hurry, hurry, hurry!!(which,I'm sure you would anyway!!! ) :) Have a wonderful trip!!(and don't forget to hurry..hahaha) (I think you can pay for one of those carts to rush you over if you see one, but I'm not sure..they may only use those for disabled/elderly now..not sure..wouldn't waste too much time on it tho..just something to ask on the fly if you see one with noone else on it...)

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Thanks Michelle :),

We are actually flying United Express into ORD and then United on to London, so I really hope that we make it!! Do you think it is worth asking the flight attendants if we could get off the plane first? I think I'll call United on Monday with our flight reference #s and ask which terminal we're going into and out of at ORD and hopefully get gate numbers ahead of time too so I can sort of plan the mad dash across the airport!!!

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

July 17 2008 - Touched

Timeline

That would be a good idea..the gates, etc. As far as getting off the plane first, I probably wouldn't bother...there may be other people with tight connections too that would get irritable, and, when I worked there at least, the United Express planes only hold either 19(Beechcraft) or 32(Brasilia)passengers anyway...so, I would assume you are on a Brasilia, it shouldn't take you long to disembark either way. Have a great, great time!!! Night! :) M.

ManU2.jpg

Wow I just flew to Dublin and back with a connection in ORD. It's very good your with the same airline so you don't have to mess with the bags. You have to find the tram and ride it over to terminal 5. If I remember correctly (from terminal 3) you have to go up one floor to find the tram. It only takes about 5 minutes and once you get to terminal 5 you have to go down one floor to get to security. I think your biggest problem will be getting through security. I was there on a tuesday around 4:30pm and it was backed up to the doors. Tell United when you check in on your first flight. Tell the flight attendent on the plane and when you get to ORD..........run run run.

Good luck

Baileyj

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

Filed: Other Timeline

In September, I flew AA (both domestic and international like you are doing - Pittsburgh to OHare to Dublin) so I didn't have to transfer my bags either. But I had a much longer connection time - 1.5 hours I think. I had time to phone Wes and get myself somewhat lost in the place.

I'd follow all the advice above plus be sure you've got comfy shoes on. As you know the place is huge and for the edification of others reading here, the terminals you are coming into and going out of are not only separated, but they are very long. I would try to get a tram.

You've got the right idea about getting your gate numbers. Perhaps you won't be at the end of the terminals.

I would see if you could change your flight to give you more time. Most international flights start boarding 30-40 min before leaving. They also close the doors 10 minutes before departing. If your arriving flight is even a few minutes late your hosed. At ORD on a friday it is almost certain things will get delayed. And then the issue of your luggage making the plane comes in also.

I am going to the Philippines next month and I had the choice of a 30 minute change at Minneapolis or a 7 hour wait. I chose the 7 hour wait.

It's up to you but the odds are not in your favor.

Edited by GaryC

Filed: Other Timeline

yeah, don't they have a rule for international flights that you *must* be at the gate 30 minutes before the flight leaves or you're not getting on? You might want to check the boarding rules on your ticket, because there's no way you'll get to your gate before they close the doors unless you can have the flight attendant from your first flight call ahead to hold them or something. At least our tickets to Scotland says that.

I just booked a flight to Scotland and intentionally did not look at any flights that connected thru ORD because that airport is insane! We're connecting thru Newark instead. Smaller, a little less insane. And 2 hours between flights.

Another thing to think of with close connections, even with same airlines, is that your luggage may not make the connection. They have to take it off one plane and get it onto the other, still within that same 30 minutes. If you're rushing from one end of the terminal to the other, so are the baggage handlers. Put a couple pairs of undies and your toothbrush in your carry-on!

Good luck!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

allot of delays at that airport..i has to wait about 1 hour over for the plane

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

When I worked for Continental, the minimum connection time allowable for a domestic-domestic flight was 30 minutes, and International connection was 45, but when I would book people through ORD, if they were familiar with the airport, they always asked for the longest possible connection times. I would then offer the longest connection times possible to other people who weren't as familiar.

I've connected through ORD before, and the outbound flight you can get away with a little leeway time-wise as long as you don't have to go out and take the tram thing. Becuase if you do, you've got to ait in those horribly long security lines just to get to your gate again. It's the return that was a nightmare. I actually HAD two hours between arrival of my flight and the departure, and I still managed to miss the connection. I was realy lucky they had one other flight back here that night. Half the plane was full of people who had missed the previous flight due to either short connection times or stupidly long lines at passport control, customs, and the security check.

Like I said, the flights were booked on our behalf by the CPS, I did not choose the times and they cannot be changed. The flight out of ORD is the last flight of the day to LHR.

If the connection is impossible to make as many of you are suggesting, why would the airline come up with that combination? I know that the flights were booked directly with United as a full roundtrip, not seperately.

AOS TIMELINE

REMOVING CONDITIONS

July 17 2008 - Touched

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I fly through Chicago all the time and I can say that you will be lucky if you make that flight.

To increase your chances:

Let the people at United know before you are getting on your flight to Chicago that you have a connecting flight. They might be able to provide you with someone to help you make it to the gate or at least radio in.

Also, when you get to security at terminal 5 let a rep know that you are connecting and have to get to your gate.....they will allow you to go to the front of the line.

International flights will board at least 20 minutes before the flight, but if it is a particularily large flight, then they make start up to 45 minutes before takeoff.

When landing let, someone with United know right away about your situation.

If you follow those tips you might have a chance, but it is still very doubtful as it will take some time to actually get off the plane, take the tram to terminal 5 and then get through security.

Good luck!

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Timeline

I agree with all the tips Merc just posted...I think you can make it, but you have to be spot ON with everything...and as Merc said, let everyone know...We booked from IMT(Iron Mt. Michigan) to ORD on United Express and then connections out of there. Business travelers VERY OFTEN did have 30 minute connections...that being said, they travel all the time so they know their way around very well too. You are going to have to hurry like mad, but if you do all of the above I think you can make it. I was thinking of the standby list as well, and I would definitely tell your flight attendant on U. Ex. and have her make a call in for you...when the pilots used to call in to get current weather etc.(about 10 min. from landing) from us, they sometimes used to give us messages about passengers too, so maybe they would do that for you. United Express(at least the part I worked for) is pretty good, so hope you get some helpful people..good luck and have fun! :) M.

ManU2.jpg