aidan80

At last We Got a Car!!! Yay!!!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

After many long hard weeks of searching we found me a used car! It's a small 4 cylinder 98 Mercury (Ford) Tracer, it has 75k on it and we managed to get it for a very reasonable price (less than $3,000)! The car itself is in near perfect condition, a few minor scratches where you'd expect them for a 9 year old car. Apart from needing some minor repairs (shock/strut) it's ready to go. Very smooth driving an automatic, changes gears easily and smoothly and it's very quiet inside even with the air on!

The single biggest asset we had while searching for a used car was brining someone who knew what they where doing, knew what to look for and what to listen for! We looked at a lot of cars/trucks that appeared decent and turned out to be junk, leaking fluids, bald tires, rust, broken into, even collision damage!

Am glad the hunt is over! :dance:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Timeline

I have a question that I'm sure I'll get laughed at for asking but as I've never driven an automatic before I have to ask...

The gear stick (if I should call it that) is quite easy to read. P for Park, D for Drive, R for Reverse, N for Neutral.. but there are some I've no idea what they are for? I have two D's one with a circle around it and one without whats the difference? I also have an L which I've no idea what it's for? :huh:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I have a question that I'm sure I'll get laughed at for asking but as I've never driven an automatic before I have to ask...

The gear stick (if I should call it that) is quite easy to read. P for Park, D for Drive, R for Reverse, N for Neutral.. but there are some I've no idea what they are for? I have two D's one with a circle around it and one without whats the difference? I also have an L which I've no idea what it's for? :huh:

D no circle is Drive. You can use it around town

D with circle is Overdrive. Use it always. It will get you the best MPG around town and definantly on the highway. If your car has a Tachometer (RPM gauge) you can see how low the RPMs stay when you are just cruisen around.

L is low. Use this when going up hills where you need more power to climb. This will burn gas and result in poor MPG so only use it when needed.

If you want to see the differance feel free to drive a little bit from a stop in L, then put it to D, and then to OD and you will feel (or see if you have a tach) the differance in the engine. Do not bother doing this on a regular basis, there is no point and it is just extra work for your older transmission. No need to overwork something that is expensive to fix!

Typically when i drive an auto car i will just leave it in OD (overdrive, D with a circle around it). I do not live near any hills so i've never used L in an Auto. I have used L in my manual shift jeep, but thats for a completly differant reason :).

2-22-08 - I-485 rev'd

2-27-08 - NOA1

3-17-09 - Transferred to Cali.

4-12-08 - Biometrics

4-22-08 - Touch

4-28-08 - EAD received.

...waiting...

3-04-09 - Had to renew the EAD :(

3-04-09 - Got annoyed at being outside of the processing window

3-04-09 - Called and they confirmed. Will contact me within 45 days.

3-05-09 - Date on the EAD NOA1

3-12-09 - Received a confirmation email that I am outside of the window and will get a decision in 60 days.

3-12-09 - TOUCH!!!

3-27-09 - Touch!

5-09-09 - Randomly received the renewed EAD Card... w/ wrong A# :(.

Timeline

D no circle is Drive. You can use it around town

D with circle is Overdrive. Use it always. It will get you the best MPG around town and definantly on the highway. If your car has a Tachometer (RPM gauge) you can see how low the RPMs stay when you are just cruisen around.

L is low. Use this when going up hills where you need more power to climb. This will burn gas and result in poor MPG so only use it when needed.

If you want to see the differance feel free to drive a little bit from a stop in L, then put it to D, and then to OD and you will feel (or see if you have a tach) the differance in the engine. Do not bother doing this on a regular basis, there is no point and it is just extra work for your older transmission. No need to overwork something that is expensive to fix!

Typically when i drive an auto car i will just leave it in OD (overdrive, D with a circle around it). I do not live near any hills so i've never used L in an Auto. I have used L in my manual shift jeep, but thats for a completly differant reason :).

Now that explains it... it also explains why the car sounded kind of louder when I drove in D to work today!

Thanks for your help :)

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Thanks for all the responses!! :P

I thought I'd post an update as I took the car in today so we could get it a once over and identify anything that might need fixed. As this is a used car bought on a tight budget I expected I'd need to get it serviced, new brakes or tires or something to be fixed due to wear and tear.

The mechanic said the car is immaculate underneath :huh: , the engine compartment and inside. He even went as far as to say the suspension/shocks/struts are in near new condition no problems. The only repair needed are two motor mounts! He asked as to how much was paid for the car ($2,200 or $2,300 to be exact before taxes) he said it was a steal. I think we got really lucky yet again...

Oh we did name the "beast".. we decided it would be only fitting to name the car after it's previous owner. We're 99% sure the last owner was an older person we decided to call him wilbert :lol: . I don't know if it's a back home thing or just my area thing but we used to call old men wilbert back home :jest:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Haha - for old men I would stick with Bob, Fred etc :lol: The back end looks a lot like the Mondeo here - looks tidy too! Although my OH tells me horror stories about buying used cars - how you can't trust anyone selling them (well isn't that the same everywhere?!) but also because there is no MOT like we have in the UK how do you *know* the car is roadworthy if you don't know anything about cars?! I am dreading buying one eventually... saying that I am dreading driving in SoCal as well so it's all good :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hi,

I have had done research in here about buying small car in america.... wohoo.. becos i want the one which fits just me and my wife... those small cars we get in Japan.... i hope they get here too.. dont neeed the SUVs as they drink lot of gasoline.... just want the one which gives me high mileage and is maintainence freeee.... I hope i get one... when i am in USA

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

After many long hard weeks of searching we found me a used car! It's a small 4 cylinder 98 Mercury (Ford) Tracer, it has 75k on it and we managed to get it for a very reasonable price (less than $3,000)! The car itself is in near perfect condition, a few minor scratches where you'd expect them for a 9 year old car. Apart from needing some minor repairs (shock/strut) it's ready to go. Very smooth driving an automatic, changes gears easily and smoothly and it's very quiet inside even with the air on!

The single biggest asset we had while searching for a used car was brining someone who knew what they where doing, knew what to look for and what to listen for! We looked at a lot of cars/trucks that appeared decent and turned out to be junk, leaking fluids, bald tires, rust, broken into, even collision damage!

Am glad the hunt is over! :dance:

Haha, I can totally relate to the joy of finding your car after long weeks of hard search. Good deal for a used car too and the car looked "neat" on the outside.

I thought about buying a used car too but I decided a brand new one will serve the purpose better for me. I used to wait for the bus and take the train to commute to work. Now I have this baby to help me get through the winter days. ;) My first car in the US.

100_1678.jpg

Good luck to those still in the search for a reliable car!

Edited by krakatoa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.