Amarach

Affidavit of Support

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I have gotten everything I need for the Affidavit of Support. But my job doesn't get me above the poverty level since I guess it doesn't go state by state. OK is a cheap place to live.

According to this site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html

Family of:-----Poverty Guideline-------125%

----3-----------------$17,170----------$21,463

I make around 14k a year, I have 30,000 in assets (including a paid off titled car at blue book value), I have 3k in the bank and 5k in a ROTH account.

My fiance also has savings- will that count?

Are we ok or do I need to scramble for a co-sponsor?

Edited by Amarach

June: Met Tom for the first time

September 6: Began dating and start flying back and forth between Italy and Belgium to visit.

June: Moved back to the USofA

July: Tom visits on a Tourist Visa

September 6: 1st Anniversary

January: Tom flies back to Belgium

April: Filed Petition with Texas Service Center.

May 3rd: USCIS cashes K1 check

Forgot date: Never received NOA1 by mail but it is confirmed by phone with Ticket #.

Unknown: Transferred to California Service Center.

Sept. 6: Second Anniversary

Sept. 10: Received E-Mail notification that Evidence Request is on its way

Sept. 18: Received RFE (Dated 9/8/07) Circumstance of Meeting & Evidence of Meeting in the last 2 years

Sept. 19: Sending requested Evidence back to them

October 24: Received NOA 2: A P P R O V E D !

Waiting for instructions to arrive in Belgium. Putting together Support Affidavit and Evidence.

Hurdle One is Done!

Nov. 20: Packet 3 received in Belgium

Nov. 22: Medical Exam Done

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

IMO...I would get a co-sponser just to be safe! You don't want to get halfway through this process and get stuck...better to be prepared for the worst

MET ONLINE- JUNE 21, 2005

WENT TO VISIT YASSINE IN MOROCCO- APRIL 15, 2006

SENT IN I129F TO CSC- NOVEMBER 2, 2006

RECIEVED NOA1- NOVEMBER 15, 2006

CHECK CLEARED- NOVEMBER 20, 2006

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

NVC RECIEVED CASE-FEBRAURY 16, 2007

NVC SENT CASE TO CASA-FEBRAURAY 21, 2007

CASA RECEIVED-FEBRAURAY 26, 2007

PACKET 3 RECEIVED-MARCH 5, 2007

INTERVIEW DATE-APRIL 4, 2007

VISA RECEIVED- APRIL 12, 2007 WOO HOO!!!!

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

FILED AOS & EAD- JULY 24, 2007

EAD CARD RECEIVED-OCTOBER 3, 2007

GREENCARD INTERVIEW-DECEMBER 13, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

FILING TO REMOVE CONDITIONS-SEPTEMBER 2009!

4621839_bodyshot_300x400.gif

I have gotten everything I need for the Affidavit of Support. But my job doesn't get me above the poverty level since I guess it doesn't go state by state. OK is a cheap place to live.

According to this site:

Family of: Poverty Guideline 125%

3 $17,170 $21,463

I make around 14k a year, I have 30,000 in assets (including a paid off titled car at blue book value), I have 3k in the bank and 5k in a ROTH account.

I think that you need to have assets that make up the difference between the amount you make and the amount you need, for 3 or 5 years.

K1 TIMELINE

2/24 Sent I 129f to VSC

3/2 Check cashed

3/6 NOA2

3/27 Packet 3 arrives

6/19 Interview- APPROVED K1 visa

8/3 Fede arrives in JFK, gets work authorization stamp

AOS/EAD/AP TIMELINE

9/24 NVC recieves AOS/AP/EAD package

9/28 Check cashed

10/03 NOA1 for EAD, AP

10/07 NOA1 for AOS

10/07 Biometrics letter

10/22 Biometrics appointment

10/23 Receive ADVANCED PAROLE

10/25 EAD card production ordered

11/02 EAD card mailed

11/05 EAD card recieved

11/16 Case transfered to CSC

12/10 RFE for I-693

1/14 Contact local Representative for help

2/6 Mail RFE letter stating we didn't send in medical per instructions of AOS for K1 because medical was done less than a year ago (We didn't think we would ever hear from our Congressman at this point)

2/13 Response (finally!) from Rep's office saying USCIS does not have the medical report

2/13 Decide to re-do medical :( another $300 spent in the name of sweet love

3/14 Letter of intent to deny with clear explanation of why.... medical didn't have TB skin test!

3/21/08 Green Card printed

4/1 Receive Green Card!

I-751TIMELINE

1/05/2010- Working on 751 packet

2/24/10 "Your item was delivered at 11:10 AM on February 24, 2010 in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479."

3/5/10 Received NOA dated 2/25/10. Check not cashed yet.

3/17/10 I wrote the date on the check as 2009!!! I had to resend entire package with a new check. :(

3/21/2010- 2 year green card expires

4/23/10 Biometrics Appointment

7/12/10 ROC APPROVED!! Card production ordered for a Lawful Permanent Resident card. (We were not interviewed.)

Timeline

It won't let me edit again :(

The family of 3 is: Me, my fiance and my 5 yo daughter. I selected partially dependant on the form and her father helps with most of her bills.

September 6: Began dating and start flying back and forth between Italy and Belgium to visit.

Forgot date: Never received NOA1 by mail but it is confirmed by phone with Ticket #.

Sept. 18: Received RFE (Dated 9/8/07) Circumstance of Meeting & Evidence of Meeting in the last 2 years

Waiting for instructions to arrive in Belgium. Putting together Support Affidavit and Evidence.

Hurdle One is Done!

Timeline

Ack, 17k not 14. Almost 18.

Edited by Amarach

Hurdle One is Done!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

According to this site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html

NO it is not enough and you better get a co sponsor that has W2 income statement to submit copy of for proof, otherwise you will get rejected, they look at this very closely. And they will look to make sure you meet those poverty guidelines whether you have assets or not, they are more interested in cash flow or proof of monthly wages or yearly wages that are most recent within the month of applying or year.

Timeline

NO it is not enough and you better get a co sponsor that has W2 income statement to submit copy of for proof, otherwise you will get rejected, they look at this very closely. And they will look to make sure you meet those poverty guidelines whether you have assets or not, they are more interested in cash flow or proof of monthly wages or yearly wages that are most recent within the month of applying or year.

The OP won't let me edit it. Is this true even if I make 17.5k a year?

Hurdle One is Done!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The OP won't let me edit it. Is this true even if I make 17.5k a year?

To be on the safe side, I think you should get a co-sponsor. There are people who are making more than 2.5 times your salary for 2, and they are choosing to have a co-sponsor just as a precaution.

You don't want to give the embassy even a small thought that you may not be able to take care of your fiance and your family. They consider everything from how long you have worked at your present job to your job status (PT or FT). It does not hurt to have that added support. Get a co-sponsor.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I would get a cosponsor to be safe.

Based on income alone you meet the requirements for 100% but not at 125% (which is required for AOS) and some consulates look at 125%. I'm not sure how the calculation with assets contributes to income. You may want to look into that.

Just better to cover all your bases now.

Good luck!!

Zee

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

My dad and step-dad are retired and living off of Social Security. My mom is deceased and my uncle has 2 kids, a wife, and has an unstable job situation.

I have no one else I can ask. Until I read a few threads here I thought making poverty guidelines was enough, it is only recently I found the 125% rule.

He can't sponsor himself when it comes to his family and savings?

Feeling flumoxed.

Hurdle One is Done!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline
My dad and step-dad are retired and living off of Social Security. My mom is deceased and my uncle has 2 kids, a wife, and has an unstable job situation.

I have no one else I can ask. Until I read a few threads here I thought making poverty guidelines was enough, it is only recently I found the 125% rule.

He can't sponsor himself when it comes to his family and savings?

Feeling flumoxed.

The sponsor by the AOS- must be a US citizen with his essets domisiled in the US

meaning- it must be some one who is a citizen of the Us and all his essets are in the USI'm sorry to hear about your situation- that you'll have a hard time getting a co-sponsor...

I can't answer your question fully- after all I am myself still looking forward to this process-

but I have a usefull link for you that I've dug out in one of VJ's posts by Huskerkiev- here's the link- it's the guide of the uscis representatives and includes all the rules and regulations to what ever comes to our tipe of petition- including the Affidavit of support guide lines.

lots to read- but I hope you'll be able to dig out your answer here, and since it's from the uscis website- I think it's more relyable then all of our oppinions put together.

:rolleyes:

Good luck to you, I really hope that you'll be O.K on this one- and don't be shy to ask people for help- you never know who you know that might have a good enough heart to help you with that- you have a situation and you must solve it,

if I had a friend like you I'd help her out- it's very much like a motgage garanter.

LINK:

CFR8

that's the cfr 8 link

Good luck reading... :)

Timeline

The Affidavit Guide also has this:

The foreign fiance's income can NOT be counted on either affidavit (except when the foreign fiance has been

living with the fiance, married, and in the US for six months), however the foreign fiance's assets CAN be used if

they are readily convertible into cash. The USCIS is concerned ONLY about the US fiance's income/assets. ---------

-----------------

He has enough cash to make the difference for 5 years, especially with my assets. He is going to call the embassy once he gets his packet and knows for "sure" which embassy/consulate we are assigned to and will ask if they can provide any information on this. In the mean time I'm still sending what I have so far.

I guess poor people can't fall in love with aliens!!! My friend in love with the martian will be so sad.

Hurdle One is Done!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

You live in Oklahoma ? where in OK? I live in Oklahoma City 73142 :-D.

I make about 28k a year, and this will be for family of 2... so I'm hoping that is good enough whenever I get there. As for assets, I just had a house down and we sign our contract yesterday :D woot party!!!!, with 2k in bank and I just started my retirement account, then I have 2.5k in car value and 1.8k in laptop value. hehe

I hope all those are enough, and I'll be getting 3-5% raise every year.

Good luck on your part, tell me how it went :-D.

Tanffy

December Filer

K-1

12/12/07 - Sent I-129F packet out (express mail baby)

12/13/07 - VSC received packet I-129F (Now I'm waiting for my check to cash)

12/14/07 - VSC Check cashed

12/14/07 - NOA1

12/18/07 - Touched

02/17/08 - Touched OMG I got touched

04/02/08 - WOOT NOA2 ^^

04/03/08 - Touched

Can't recall everything that went on but...

About 07/11/08 - My wife first step on USA

We're at the process where we will have an interview for my wife 10 year visa. My wife already have her 2 years condition green card and her Social Security #.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline
The Affidavit Guide also has this:

The foreign fiance's income can NOT be counted on either affidavit (except when the foreign fiance has been

living with the fiance, married, and in the US for six months), however the foreign fiance's assets CAN be used if

they are readily convertible into cash. The USCIS is concerned ONLY about the US fiance's income/assets. ---------

-----------------

He has enough cash to make the difference for 5 years, especially with my assets. He is going to call the embassy once he gets his packet and knows for "sure" which embassy/consulate we are assigned to and will ask if they can provide any information on this. In the mean time I'm still sending what I have so far.

I guess poor people can't fall in love with aliens!!! My friend in love with the martian will be so sad.

Hehehehehehehehe- it always amused me!- ever since I heard it- calling some one alien....

a new commer- a fresh immigrant- fine- but alien? no wonder the USCIS doesn't treat us like human beings.... :lol::P

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

Hello

I was wondering if you all can help me with this simple question im currently full time student in university and the last time i saw my fiancee was in january 7 2006 and since i have to file the I-129 withing the 2 years of the meeting with her and so i have to file and sent the I-129f before january 2008 to meet the requirement that we meet within 2 years , next year i will be a senior and I have not had employment since last 3 years ( due to being in univ) so I will not be able to provide tax return on the I-134 affidavit support my question is since I live with my brother and he make abt 43K a year is that sufficient enough for him to be my co-sponsor? I can make him being the sponsor? will the consulate deny me the visa for my fiancee if they see me that i'm unemployed for the last 4 years? should i tell them that i have been full time student and that's the reason i was unemployed also should I ask the counselor university to provide me a letter confirming that i was enrolled as full time during the last 4 years? I appreciate any helps with this matter .

Best Regards

Pipo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.