Zee Bee

Finding Love Abroad, Then Support Online for Visa Quest

211 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

If I could add anything to the article (and for our follow up) I would state that people come from all around the world, from the Americas, Europe, Asia and beyond and have fallen into this situation in many ways (living overseas, long distance relationships, marriages with children in both countries, etc). All people are confronted with the same arduous process and in some cases (high volume/risk consulates) and presented with an even greater set of difficulties when petitioning. There is no one stereotype that can fit the community (and in fact there should be none) and often the biggest misunderstanding is that people think that others "want" to come to america where as in most cases people wrestle with wanting to be together versus giving up their entire life back home. I know in most cases moving to america is the end result but not the ideal solution. It is a matter of practicality.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Thing is, E...imo...no one will understand what it's like unless one goes through this. We can talk til we're blue in the face, and I don't think it'll do much good.

Overall, the article really poked fun at ppl in our situation...and made Wendy look condescending with the 'I don't want to be a farmer's wife' statement. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Yep.

As I said earlier, every time an article like this comes up, it's never as VJers would want it. How your story is told/edited is up to the reporter & ultimately, they want dish, not some vanilla article. It is their JOB after all.

Edited by devilette

I have a print copy in front of me- the story is printed just below the fold on the front page of Washington Post and continues on A6.

What's strange is that the article focuses on VisaJourney website (as if the existence of this site is newsworthy :P) as opposed to talking mainly about the recent slowdown in the process, about people being forced to wait 5 months and more lately just to get their paperwork stamped and passed along by a bean counter. Things have slowed way down and people are languishing here away from their fiances for month after month- That's the news, not the fact that some people vent about it online! (Notice even the title of the article itself-- this whole thing is spun into a 'human interest' story instead of highlighting a real issue).

And as others mentioned, it seems they closed down the comments section. People should have copied the comments here, would've been nice to see.

Nice job to US Wendy for her efforts at getting this to the press! :thumbs:

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent : Aug 04 2007

I-129F Received at VSC: Aug 09 2007

I-129F NOA1 Notice-issue date : Aug 16 2007

I-129f NOA2 Notice-issue date : Jan 07 2007

Your I-129f was approved in 156 days from your filing date.

Timeline
Nice job to US Wendy for her efforts at getting this to the press!

ditto. Thank you for taking the time and courage to share your story and help raise awareness. :)

As you said the goal of the article was not totally to focus on the specifics (of the USCIS issues). I can understand that people want to voice these specific issues to the public and we can certainly add those details into a story that we publish here. I know others are already willing to help and I will pour my time at this if we can get something rolling :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Timeline
I guess I'm lost but what comments is everyone talking about?

I had a hard time finding them too but if you look on the right hand side of the 2nd page of the article (towards the middle of the page) there is something that says view all comments..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6_Comments.html

thanks! I was looking for forever for all these freaking comments and couldn't find it. next, there must be a lot because it sure is taking a long time to load!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Timeline

They appear to be offline. Might want to try tomorrow.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

comments seem to be working fine now... nice job VJers on the great comments... not that they'll get through thick ignorant skulls...

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
comments seem to be working fine now... nice job VJers on the great comments... not that they'll get through thick ignorant skulls...

ooo time to go read again! :dancing:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Still not working for me! :ranting:

same :protest:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Still not working for me! :ranting:

same :protest:

Here too :angry:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

hmmmm ...maybe later

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
hmmmm ...maybe later

I doubt it. Apparently this is too controversial a topic for people to be allowed to comment about it. What a bunch of chopf##ks they are at the Washington Post.