guitarboy53

Now that we have our Green Card...

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I was just wondering if we will need all the photocopies of documents and letters from USCIS in the future. We have spent the last year and a half keeping documents, stressing about paperwork being correctly filled out, and all the rest of the jargon that comes along with working with the immigration folks....

What do all of you do with your paperwork?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Great question! I was wondering what everyone else does too. After we filed for AOS, we got rid of a lot of the K1 stuff. We used the K1 financial stuff for the I-864, but stuff like plane tickets from our visits, phone cards, phone bills etc. we trashed them.

My husband just got his AOS approved. We got the welcome letter in the mail today. I'm wondering if we can get rid of the AOS stuff. The I-751 looked as though we don't need anything from the AOS packet.

-DA

Filed: Timeline

I have all my immigration papers in a fire proof box.... I will keep everything until I have become a citizen.... then I will weed out all the evidence I have collected and just keep the I-130 approval notice, the AOS approval notice, the removal of conditions approval notice and my naturalization certificate.... Those I will keep safe forever..

Kez

I'm saving ours, start a scrapbook or something :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We are keeping all ours until Andre becomes a citizen.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Timeline

We had a paper shredding party, but only for worksheets, lists, instructions and duplicate forms.

We have copies of entire packets, just as we sent them. In other words, exact copies in the order we compiled the forms.

We keep EVERY official document or letter we have ever received from them in a ring-binder notebook. Each document is in a sheet protector. Our birth certificates and other important documents are also in that notebook. The notebook is in a fireproof box.

Plane tickets and other relationship memorabilia went into a scrapbook.

As Kezzie said, certain things I will keep forever. Even after naturalization. I simply don't trust 'em. Plus, it will be interesting papers for family to see years from now.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
We have copies of entire packets, just as we sent them. In other words, exact copies in the order we compiled the forms.

We keep EVERY official document or letter we have ever received from them in a ring-binder notebook. Each document is in a sheet protector. Our birth certificates and other important documents are also in that notebook. The notebook is in a fireproof box.

I am the exact same, except for the fireproof box. We have one, just not big enough for all the immigration stuff!

All the evidence I have used in my submission packets is all in one place. Once I get citizenship, I will keep some copies, the rest I will shred or scrapbook :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have everything as well, since K1, all documents, most copies, a copy of the packet and all received letters. It's in a folder but I've yet to get myself a fireproof box to transfer all my documents into.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are going to safe-deposit them. I still have my F-1 visa and all supporting documents 4 years after it expired. I keep everything.... you just never know. :)

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We put all the immigration documents (K packets, AOS forms, birth cert., financial docus, etc.) in protector sheets, put tabs on each file to keep it organized and easy to locate. They are all in a big binder. As for the evidence such as cards, memorabilia, etc. I will most likely make a scrapbook out of them once the whole process is done . I am sure that my family and I would enjoy going through them in the future. :)

EAD

Date Filed : June 17, 2007

NOA Date : June 27, 2007

Bio. Appt. : July 21, 2007

Transfer to CSC Notice: July 28, 2007

Touched: July 31, Aug. 20, Aug. 21

Infopass: Oct. 12, 2007 - IO faxed CSC to inform that I am outside processing timeframe; still no word as of 10/17!!!

Oct. 31, 2007 - Received letter from my representative stating my application is still under review and should allow 30-45 more days for adjudication!!!

Touched: Oct. 31, Nov. 1,9 (These touches better be a sign of something good!)

EAD Card Prod. Ordered: Nov. 19, 2007 (Finally! After 155 days)

EAD Card Mailed: Nov. 21, 2007; Touched on Nov. 22, 23

AOS K3/K4

Date mailed : July 23, 2007

Date rec'd : July 24, 2007

Cheques cashed : Aug. 8, 2007

NOA Date: Aug. 28, 2007

Bio. Appt. : Aug. 30, 2007

Interview: January 22, 2008 (a welcome surprise...case never got an touched/updated on the USCIS website)

Jan. 31 and Feb. 4 - Card Production Ordered email received

Feb. 1 - RFE (huh?!) Infopass at USCIS say they made a mistake!

Feb. 7 - Approval Notice email (got green card after a day or two; green card has wrong middle name!)

April - Filed I-90 for green card error (never got receipt confirmation from USCIS)

June 13 - Got email saying card production ordered (hope this is it!)

Filed: Timeline

I wondered the same thing the other day. I opened my file cabinet and thought ####### am I going to do with all these papers. I thought we should keep them til Neil got citizenship so now that everyone else says that's what they plan to do I think we'll do the same.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.