apgk

social security number for fiancee

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

I am planning to get my fiancee apply for the social security number immediately after she arrives (like in 2 days). Just wanted to check if it is possible, are there any restrictions?

I read on some other forum that she can apply only after 2 weeks after she arrives.

I'd say wait a couple of weeks but not much after that. I tried to get my wife a social security number after we were married but because her K-1 visa had expired and the green card had not yet been approved, they wouldn't issue her a card. From what I've seen the SSA offices around the country do things differently, so good luck.

Timeline
It is best to wait a few weeks before you apply to make sure they have all her information in the system.

I think the two systems that you are trying to relate are not all connected.

Her arrival information would be with USCIS and possibly with state department. The

social security system is not at all connected with these.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I think the two systems that you are trying to relate are not all connected. Her arrival information would be with USCIS and possibly with state department. The

social security system is not at all connected with these.

That may be your opinion, but I disagree.

Have you heard of the SAVE system:

Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

So, here, the general recommendation is to wait until your fiancée is in the system, which takes a few weeks from arrival. If she is not in the system, SSA will have to do a manual verification with USCIS and that takes a lot longer than just being entered into the system.

I took Claudeth to the SSA office two weeks after she arrived in the U.S. It was quick and she received her card a week later.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I took Claudeth to the SSA office two weeks after she arrived in the U.S. It was quick and she received her card a week later.

So, Jasman, Claudeth got her first SS card 2 weeks after arriving in the USA (before your marriage) in her maiden name and then (i assume) she went back again some months later after your marriage to get a second SS card with her new married name? Is that correct? When she went back the second time, had she already received her EAD or was that a "non-issue" since the second was simply a 'name change' to her already existing SSN? Thanks for sharing the additional info.

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Timeline
So, Jasman, Claudeth got her first SS card 2 weeks after arriving in the USA (before your marriage) in her maiden name and then (i assume) she went back again some months later after your marriage to get a second SS card with her new married name? Is that correct? When she went back the second time, had she already received her EAD or was that a "non-issue" since the second was simply a 'name change' to her already existing SSN? Thanks for sharing the additional info.
My wife did exactly what you just described.

Caveat:

1. EAD or green card will be needed to get a social security card if you apply with less than a certain amount of days left on your I-94. Caution for the wise do it sooner than later, because not having a social security number can hinder your ability to get a driver's license, bank account, and other state benefits / privileges. Unless you get married within 2 weeks, don't try to be efficient in terms of trips to the SS office.

2. EAD will not fix the words "not valid without work authorization" - only a green card or a naturalization certificate can do that.

Actually, we went back after we received the marriage certification from the Recorders office thinking that would be all they needed. Nope, they need something official from the USCIS so about 9 weeks later when her EAD arrived we went back. They took all the information and then we waited about six weeks to receive the new card with her married name in the mail. The more difficult assignment was getting her passport renewed in her married name :blink: You ain't seen nothing until you have seen Filipino red tape :P

Timeline

Caveat:

1. EAD or green card will be needed to get a social security card if you apply with less than a certain amount of days left on your I-94. Caution for the wise do it sooner than later, because not having a social security number can hinder your ability to get a driver's license, bank account, and other state benefits / privileges. Unless you get married within 2 weeks, don't try to be efficient in terms of trips to the SS office.

2. EAD will not fix the words "not valid without work authorization" - only a green card or a naturalization certificate can do that.

Satellite, what is that less then certain amount of days on I-94? how many?

Timeline
The more difficult assignment was getting her passport renewed in her married name :blink: You ain't seen nothing until you have seen Filipino red tape :P
I don't know about that. Officially the only way to change a Russian International Passport into one's married name for someone who married in the US is to:

1. Get Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate.

2. Get it apostilled.

3. Get both documents translated (properly)

4. Get all three documents certified by the Russian consulate.

5. Take these documents to Russia.

6. Go to the ZAGS and register those documents.

7. Wait many for the ministry of internal affairs to issue wife a new Internal Passport.

8. Get a local propiska in the New Internal Russian passport.

9. Take internal passport to passport authority to make a new Internal Passport showing married name.

So Jasman07017, how does that compare?

I don't know for sure, I think 30 days before expiration of the I-94, ask in the AOS forum. Edited by Satellite

Timeline

2. Get it apostilled.

7. Wait many for the ministry of internal affairs to issue wife a new Internal Passport.

9. Take internal passport to passport authority to make a new Internal Passport showing married name.

I'm printing that out and showing it to my husband who is wondering why my passport is still in my maiden name :lol:

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Caveat:

The important thing is to apply before the I-94 expires :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks Jasman and Satellite for the info!

Actually, Jasman, I would put myself pretty high on the list of experience dealing with filipino red tape, having lived there for a year and then also helping my gal navigate this process! (hehehe)

Salellite: I liked your Russian example of beaurocracy for reissuing the passport with married name! 2 things come to mind in reading your list and thinking about doing that process in the Philippines:

1. You were able to articulate an actual process to be followed! Therre is no such thing in the phillipines! The process and requirements depend entirely on the person you happen to draw at the office you happen to go to on the day you happen to go there!!!

2. You gotta make sure your budget has enough to cover the "tipping" required!! (wink, wink!!)

Jasman, when you went back to the SSA office the second time with your marriage certificate, what was their rationale for requiring something from USCIS? She already had a SSN, you were just requesting a name change due to marriage, right? Or where you wanting them to ALSO remove the "Not Valid without Work Authorization" language from the card? Was the your removal request why they wanted something from USCIS? I just cant understand why they wouldnt process an existing SSN name change due to marriage as long as the second SSN Card continued to have the "No Valid with out Work Authorization" comment on it also. Could you elaborate a bit more on that? Thanks!!!!

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Timeline
The more difficult assignment was getting her passport renewed in her married name :blink: You ain't seen nothing until you have seen Filipino red tape :P
I don't know about that. Officially the only way to change a Russian International Passport into one's married name for someone who married in the US is to:

2. Get it apostilled.

So Jasman07017, how does that compare?

[b]We are in Russia now and tried this a few days ago. Our mistake was that our apostilled marriage certificate and translation were done in the US and not certified by the Russian consulate. ZAGS said they did not understand the notary stamp and would not accept it even though the documents had the apostille. They would accept it if we had the translation done here. The other problem was that there was no clear indication that my wife had a new family name. We tried to explain that it is not part of the marriage certificate, but they would not accept it. We gave up and decided it was not worth the time and trouble.

Another small problem we had was at the old OVIR when I was registering my visa based on my ownership of an apartment here. They asked a lot of questions about my "propiska" They could not understand why my US passport didn't have my "US propiska" and wanted to know how the police could find me in the US without it! Then they wanted to know why my passport was issued in New Orleans if I don't live there (and I have never been there). A lot of explaining. Typical for Russia.[/b]

I don't know for sure, I think 30 days before expiration of the I-94, ask in the AOS forum.

I think it's 21 days.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.