Sha and Scott

Is getting pregnant while waiting for K1 visa advisable?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Happy weekend to all! I've been wanting to post this question days after my fiance confirmed his plan of visiting me again. We haven't seen each other in five looooooonnnnngggggg months and really excited to be together again. Well, now I guess I have to just be direct with my question... :blush:

If I get pregnant (with my fiance of course) while waiting for the approval of our I-129F petition, will that situation harm us in a way? I mean, if ever I'll found out that I am pregnant before the schedule of my medical exam, will that situation disqualify me to have my K1 visa approved? Is that acceptable at all? Will it accelerate the approval of the visa or the opposite?

Me and my fiance are very open to the idea of having a baby?

But I'm curious if getting to "that" situation now can harm our process.

Everybody's sound idea will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

THE K-1 PROCESS

June 14, 2007: Sent I-129F to Texas Service Center (but case was transferred to CSC)

June 27, 2007: Receipt Notice Date

October 29, 2007: Petition is APPROVED! :-)

December 10, 2007: Case received at NVC

December 12, 2007: Case is forwarded to US Embassy!

January 2, 2008: Pay Delbros for Document Verification

January 8, 2008: CFO Seminar

January 23-24, 2008: Early Medical (Original Sched is Feb. 1, 2008)

February 8, 2008: Interview Date (6:30AM)

February 15, 2008: Received Visa :-)

February 27, 2008: Fly to USA... POE: JFK - New York... :-)

March 14, 2008: Applied for SSN

April 18, 2008: Wedding Day :-)

THE AOS PROCESS

May 13, 2008: Sent AOS docs to USCIS including EAD and AP

May 15, 2008: Package was delivered!

May 21, 2008: Check was cashed!

May 20, 2008: Notice Date for AOS, EAD, & AP

May 24, 2008: Received All 3 NOA's in the mail

May 26, 2008: All 3 cases available online (at National Benefit Center or MSC)

June 12, 2008: Biometric Appointment (USCIS Raleigh - Durham, NC)

June 12, 2008: AOS and EAD touched!

July 19, 2008: AP Approved! Approval is sent!

July 22, 2008: Approval status available online!

July 26, 2008: AP received in the mail!

July 28, 2008: EAD card received in the mail! (With July 19 approval date)

Jan. 13, 2009: Interview Date at USCIS - Raleigh/Durham

APPROVED!!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone,

Happy weekend to all! I've been wanting to post this question days after my fiance confirmed his plan of visiting me again. We haven't seen each other in five looooooonnnnngggggg months and really excited to be together again. Well, now I guess I have to just be direct with my question... :blush:

If I get pregnant (with my fiance of course) while waiting for the approval of our I-129F petition, will that situation harm us in a way? I mean, if ever I'll found out that I am pregnant before the schedule of my medical exam, will that situation disqualify me to have my K1 visa approved? Is that acceptable at all? Will it accelerate the approval of the visa or the opposite?

Thanks.

First, I hope that you and your fiance have a wonderful visit.

I don't think that getting pregnant will harm the process in any way and I know for a fact it won't accelerate it. They don't care. If you have the baby before you enter the states I've read that your baby and your fiance will have to take a paternity test to prove that it's really his. I could be wrong on this but I remember reading that somewhere.

On a personal note, I would wait. Don't you want to be with the father of your baby while you give birth and live together as a family during that very special time? I guess he could come over there while you give birth but then you'd have to apply for the K2 for the baby to enter the states as well and that means more money.

It's your decision though.

Best of luck.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I suggest wait till you arrive in USA. Less hassle in your Medical in St. Lukes and for me being 5 months pregnant now, I can't imagine travelling to USA feeling awful.

God Bless and Enjoy time together :thumbs:

myspace.com profile

Friendster profile

POE LAX --------------- APRIL 29,2007 / JAX, Florida APRIL 30,2007

MARRIED -------------- JUNE 18,2007

AOS SENT ------------- JULY 10,2007 - via DHL courier service

AOS RECEIVED ------- JULY 11,2007(day 1)

NOA1------------------- JULY 18,2007 (day 7)

BIOMETRICS ---------- AUGUST 13,2007 (day 26)

INTERVIEW-------------SEPTEMBER 25,2007.....10:30AM (day 69)

GREEN CARD APPROVED exactly 69 days ~~~~~~SEPTEMBER 25,2007

Card Ordered for Prod'n ---------SEPTEMBER 28,2007 (email from USCIS CRIS)

Welcome Letter (E-mail & Snail Mail)---------------OCTOBER 03,2007

Green Card Received via snail mail ~~~~~~~ OCTOBER 05,2007 (79 DAYS)

SSN Approved ---------NOVEMBER 05,2007

SS Card Received -----NOVEMBER 19,2007 via snail mail

THANK YOU VISA JOURNEY !!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with the two previous posters. I would wait to have a baby until you are living in the U.S. and there is less chances for complications.

Your visa could be approved during the late stages of your pregnancy, and then you would not be able to fly to be home with your fiance.

If it were me, I would put off pregnancy until after you arrive in the U.S. Just my 2 cents worth.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hello Everyone,

Thanks.

by all means, wait to get pregnant when you are here in the us... not sure if that will cause a problem with the visa... but it would be so much easier for the both of you to plan for children here.. i think i will wait until maybe after the greencard or something like that.. the approval i mean.. i want him here with me through the whole process.. morning sickness and all.. just to know that he's here would make me feel so much better.. even being able to go to doctor's appointments with me.. that's very important to both of us.. again it's your decision.. God bless you guys :)

Passage Revelation 19:11:

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

"satan is real and he's playing for keeps
God is realer and we are His sheep
which side are you on, CHOOSE, start moving your feet
choose JESUS and have ETERNAL PEACE" by GOD to me on 9/26/10 about 2am
Thank you Jesus!!!!

Bebe and Cece Winans Heaven

Abdel Halim Hafez Qariat al Fingan

DON'T get pregnant! No guarentee you won't be denied a visa and then what would you do??

Sorry! But I call it like I see it!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

... I guess he could come over there while you give birth but then you'd have to apply for the K2 for the baby to enter the states as well and that means more money.

wouldn't the baby be USC citizen as her/his father?

Not if the baby is born in the Philippines :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
... I guess he could come over there while you give birth but then you'd have to apply for the K2 for the baby to enter the states as well and that means more money.

Yes it will be ... birth just has to be registered with the US embassy in the Philippines... :wacko:

If one parent is a US citizen, the child is a citizen too, regardless of where it is born. Out of wedlock would require convincing evidence of paternity, but as long as the child is his, that wouldn't be an issue.

Not that I advise getting pregnant now, but still...

Edited by meow mix

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Yes it will be ... birth just has to be registered with the US embassy in the Philippines... :wacko:

If one parent is a US citizen, the child is a citizen too, regardless of where it is born.

Oh wow really! I didn't know that..I guess I should do some research huh!

Cool!

Thanks and sorry to the person I answered...I was wrong. :)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Just needed to process the papers.

Certain individuals born outside of the United States are born citizens because of their parents, according to the principle of jus sanguinis (which holds that the country of citizenship of a child is the same as that of his / her parents). The U.S. Congress is responsible for enacting laws that determine how citizenship is conveyed by a U.S. citizen parent or parents according to the principle of jus sanguinis. These laws are contained in the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Hey there...

I am going through a similar decision in wanting to fall pregnant prior to the K1 interview whilst weighing up the cost of not having my USC fiance here for the entire duration of the pregnancy. On one hand I would love the ideal situation of being married and together as a family prior to the baby's birth, but I am also aware that the australian medical system enables you to have all medical services free of charge, allowing for the possibility of any complications/ C section birth etc. without costing an arm and a leg. Medical coverage in the US is ridiculous. I also like the idea of my family here in Australia being a part of the baby's first few weeks of life before I fly off over the pacific ocean to my faraway life. I would like to share that before leaving.

I have contaced the US consulate on this issue and was advised that if the baby were born here I would have to file a Report of Birth Abroad in which the child would have a US passport. This also entails an interview. A consulate officer also phoned me to advise that a paternity test is only necessary in circumstances where the evidence initially provided was not sufficient ie. proving my fiance and I had been together at the time of approximate conception time. I may be in a different situation to you in that my fiance and I already have 2 children from previous marriages, with the added fact that I am 35 and do not want to delay so if it happens, it happens. In the end, forces outside of human decision making, determine whether or not life will be created.

Just another perspective.

Cheers. :)

CR-1/IR-1 Journey for Self

12th April 08 - Married in Australia

21st April 08 - Mailed off I-130 but with incorrect title on cheques

30th April 08 - USCIS returned petitions requesting correct title on cheques

2nd May 08 - Mailed out I-130s again! Finally on our way!!!

9th May 08 - NOA-1

7th Nov 08 - Tranferred to CSC

4th Dec 08 - Approved!!!

22nd Dec 08 - NVC # assigned

23rd June 09 - Case Complete at NVC (We slowed down the process on purpose to time interview accordingly)

18th August 09 - Medical

25th August 09 - Interview Date - Approved!!!

19th February 10 - POE L.A (No dramas, just SLOW)

2nd March 10 - Welcome to America Letter

I would recommend you wait, figure out things first before bringing a child into an unknown future

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

If one parent is a US citizen, the child is a citizen too, regardless of where it is born. Out of wedlock would require convincing evidence of paternity, but as long as the child is his, that wouldn't be an issue.

Not that I advise getting pregnant now, but still...

Its not entirely automatic, unless both parents are citizens. But its not too hard to get citizenship for a child born out of the US.

From here: http://www.visalaw.com/05jan1/2jan105.html

Children born abroad to two US citizen parents, one of whom has resided in the US prior to the birth of the child, continue to be US citizens at birth, and need take no special actions to retain citizenship.

Children born to one citizen parent and one foreign national will obtain citizenship at birth if the citizen parent resided in the US for five years before the birth, with two of those years after the age of 14. The child does not need to take any special action to retain US citizenship.

Children born out of wedlock to a US citizen mother will be US citizens if the mother resided in the US for one year prior to the birth of the child. Children born out of wedlock to a US citizen father will acquire US citizenship if the following conditions are met:

* There is an established blood relationship between the father and the child,

* The father was a US citizen at the time of the birth,

* The father has agreed to financially support the child until it is 18, and

* Before the child is 18 it is legitimated, or the father acknowledges paternity in a document signed under oath

While these are general rules, Congress has continually amended and revised many laws relating to citizenship, particularly those dealing with the requirements for retention of citizenship. If a person believes that they have a claim to US citizenship, they should consult with an attorney for a full examination of that possibility.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
I would recommend you wait, figure out things first before bringing a child into an unknown future

I agree. Aside from having an unknown wait time to even get the visa, IF the visa isn't denied, there is still the possibility Heaven forbid, that the situation won't work after you are together in the USA. I have heard of several recent relationships breaking off just before the interview or within a few months after the SO arrives in the USA. Since it doesn't help you get a visa, I'd wait.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.