Jigi

Buying Small Car in America?

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Perhaps he should have spent the $560 on renting a car whilst his was in the shop.....

:lol:

ETA: That Honda is as old as I am, and I'm still running strong......

:D

Edited by ChristinaM

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey guys

Thanks a lot for all your inputs... I am thinking of he Hyundai Accent ttoo... We get it in India too... I Wish i could the pretty compact cars... I know there are not many compact cars in US ..... Please guys post your expereinces.. the more latest more better.... I Am thinking to increase muy budget to around 2500... and as soon as i get job ... will pay it off in a year or so... whats say

Jigi

Edited by Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There are a lot of small compact cars in North America. Not everyone drives a SUV or truck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_family_car

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_car

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I'm sorry Flames, but a Ford Focus doesn't count as a small car when you come from the UK!

Try these:

Ford Ka

Citroen C2

VW Lupo

:lol:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I spent time in Europe while with the Cdn Air Force, so I know some cars over there are smaller. The links I provided were just giving a general idea. One can find ford, GM, etc all over the world, yet they do look different.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi

Thanks guys... I am looking at all the info you are sharing with me.. its great.. so many people giving their views.. ./.. I am open to more specific car prices / and reviews by people.. please chip in more people....

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I'm driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is considered a small car here....... it's considered a HUGE car in England!!!!!

If you can get a jeep Cherokee, they go on forever!!!!!!

Where do you live that a Jeep Grand Cherokee is considered small?

To me, and most people I know...it's a big car. Not even a car. An SUV.

And the word grand is in the name.

I drive a Hyundai Elantra ... but I bought it new, so it's 240 a month plus insurance - way out of your budget...it does great on gas though :)

Edited by meow mix

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Honda Fit is quite a small car, smaller than civic by exterior dimensions but the interior is roomy you'll be surprised. Can you not afford at least $250-400 monthly payments? If you're sticking with your original budget, don't be surprised if you won't get that far.

I would honestly think about it to buy a car for that price , but i understand and probably nobody will finance you a car and why you want to buy a car so urgent if all will take time to get a workpermit and find a job and stuff like that ??? is it not better you wait and see for your self , and i don't know which state you will go to but here in virginia you have to pay tax and inspection on the car and to pass the inspection the car has to be in a good condition , my husband just bought me a car and we went through all that we paid almost 500$ Tax or was it the registration fee at the DMV ? because i got a letter in the mail yesterday which asked for state Tax , i don't know how they count the tax but i heard for older cars you pay more i have a BMW 325i model 2004 and it is not that old so i don't know what you will pay ? well i wish you good luck and hope you will find what you are looking for !

Ramona

"Happiness only lives for those who cry, those who was hurt, those who have searched, those who loved and those who have tried..."

I guess Consumer Reports wants you to pay to see their analysis of used cars. If you know someone who belongs to CR have them look up the cars you are thinking about, the report are usually pretty good.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
... why you want to buy a car so urgent if all will take time to get a workpermit and find a job and stuff like that ???

Ramona

Ramona, the OP is filing for an immigrant visa. He will be work-authorised the minute he enters the US.

Can you not afford at least $250-400 monthly payments? If you're sticking with your original budget, don't be surprised if you won't get that far.

pnrmbr975, you made me laugh. You're right that $1000 won't get you very far, but don't you think that you're being a little unrealistic on the car payment? Both my husband and I have white-collar, professional jobs and we would struggle to make a car payment of $400 a month between the two of us! Wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of money just sitting around every month waiting to be spent on a nice new car :lol:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
We live in Georgia..... ours is usually the smallest car in the car park!!!!!! :)

I've been to Georgia and saw a lot of compact cars. That's weird.

... why you want to buy a car so urgent if all will take time to get a workpermit and find a job and stuff like that ???

Ramona

Ramona, the OP is filing for an immigrant visa. He will be work-authorised the minute he enters the US.

Can you not afford at least $250-400 monthly payments? If you're sticking with your original budget, don't be surprised if you won't get that far.

pnrmbr975, you made me laugh. You're right that $1000 won't get you very far, but don't you think that you're being a little unrealistic on the car payment? Both my husband and I have white-collar, professional jobs and we would struggle to make a car payment of $400 a month between the two of us! Wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of money just sitting around every month waiting to be spent on a nice new car :lol:

I have a 240 car payment and my husband is looking at taking on a 300/month car payment - it's not easy, but it's what we have to do. He got a used car last year and to him, it's not worth the problems. As for me, my parents made the decision when I was 17, I just make payments.

It's not always *easy* but we do it...just not a lot of money for extras.

Can't wait til mine is paid off. Three more yeaaaaaars... (had to refinance in my name)

I would honestly think about it to buy a car for that price , but i understand and probably nobody will finance you a car and why you want to buy a car so urgent if all will take time to get a workpermit and find a job and stuff like that ??? is it not better you wait and see for your self , and i don't know which state you will go to but here in virginia you have to pay tax and inspection on the car and to pass the inspection the car has to be in a good condition , my husband just bought me a car and we went through all that we paid almost 500$ Tax or was it the registration fee at the DMV ? because i got a letter in the mail yesterday which asked for state Tax , i don't know how they count the tax but i heard for older cars you pay more i have a BMW 325i model 2004 and it is not that old so i don't know what you will pay ? well i wish you good luck and hope you will find what you are looking for !

Ramona

You pay a percentage of the sale price.

And with older cars, half the time you can get away with saying it's a gift if you buy it from someone you know or are related to.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Other Timeline

If you can't find a nice used car for $10000 (which will give you a payment of around $200 a month) then you aren't looking hard enough.

There are brand new KIA's out there for around $10000 even.

If the OP has job prospects (since he will be able to work almost immediately) he might want to take his money and make a down payment on a newer vehicle than $2500 would buy, and make small monthly payments.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.