Alice Meichi

Proof of Meeting question?

10 posts in this topic

I'm putting together the package right now, and I have a question about the Proof of Meeting that my fiance and I have been trying to figure out.

When we first met, it was in London and we weren't in a relationship at that point. Therefore, I don't have the boarding passes for that trip or any other primary evidence. We didn't take photos together. I don't have a passport stamp because I entered Europe in Germany and then traveled to England. My fiance says that maybe we should just state that we don't have the evidence for that meeting, but I think that maybe we should just exclude that part to avoid confusion. We have things like... London Eye tickets and movie ticket stubs from that trip, but that doesn't really prove anything?

Also on every trip we've taken to see each other since then (SEVEN total!) we have boarding passes, passport stamps, itineraries, and photos. If we have so much evidence for our subsequent trips, do we even need to give evidence of our first meeting?

This would help a lot, thank you!

Alice Meichi Li

AliceMeichi.com - Illustration Portfolio

I-129F K-1 Visa

October 16, 2007: I-129F Petition Sent to VSC via FedEx Ground

October 17, 2007: I-129F Received

October 24, 2007: NOA1 Received

January 13, 2008: NOA2 Received

January 18, 2008: NVC Received

January 28, 2008: Packet 3 Received

February 1, 2008: Packet 3 Sent

March 14, 2008: Packet 4 Received

April 4, 2008: INTERVIEW!

April 7, 2008: K-1 Visa Received

April 29, 2008: Michael enters United States on K-1 visa

June 9, 2008: Alice and Michael GET MARRIED!

I-485 AOS/I-765 EAD

June 26, 2008: AOS Packet Sent to Chicago via FedEx Ground

June 30, 2008: AOS Packet Received

July 7, 2008: NOA1 dated

July 12, 2008: NOA1 Received

July 25, 2008: Biometrics appointment

August 28, 2008: AOS Welcome Notice received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: EAD approval received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

September 13, 2008: EAD RECEIVED!

I-751 Removal of Conditions

May 27, 2010: I-751 Packet sent to Vermont Service Center via USPS Priority Mail, Certified

May 29, 2010: I-751 Packet Received

June 1, 2010: NOA1 Dated

June 7, 2010: NOA1 Received

August 23, 2010: Biometrics appointment

September 20, 2010: Approval decision letter

September 27, 2010: 10-YEAR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

N-400 Application for Naturalization

January 23, 2017: N-400 Petition Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

January 25, 2017: NOA1 Dated

February 14, 2017: Biometrics appointment

October 27, 2017: NOA2 Dated

December 5, 2017: INTERVIEW PASSED!

They're only interested in proof of meeting, so I wouldn't worry about the first trip if I were you....

Ahhhh.. so just "meeting" in general, and not like.. "meeting" as being introduced? I keep seeing people talk about how they've had RFE's for not describing how they intially met, so that's why I'm a bit nervous...

Alice Meichi Li

AliceMeichi.com - Illustration Portfolio

I-129F K-1 Visa

October 16, 2007: I-129F Petition Sent to VSC via FedEx Ground

October 17, 2007: I-129F Received

October 24, 2007: NOA1 Received

January 13, 2008: NOA2 Received

January 18, 2008: NVC Received

January 28, 2008: Packet 3 Received

February 1, 2008: Packet 3 Sent

March 14, 2008: Packet 4 Received

April 4, 2008: INTERVIEW!

April 7, 2008: K-1 Visa Received

April 29, 2008: Michael enters United States on K-1 visa

June 9, 2008: Alice and Michael GET MARRIED!

I-485 AOS/I-765 EAD

June 26, 2008: AOS Packet Sent to Chicago via FedEx Ground

June 30, 2008: AOS Packet Received

July 7, 2008: NOA1 dated

July 12, 2008: NOA1 Received

July 25, 2008: Biometrics appointment

August 28, 2008: AOS Welcome Notice received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: EAD approval received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

September 13, 2008: EAD RECEIVED!

I-751 Removal of Conditions

May 27, 2010: I-751 Packet sent to Vermont Service Center via USPS Priority Mail, Certified

May 29, 2010: I-751 Packet Received

June 1, 2010: NOA1 Dated

June 7, 2010: NOA1 Received

August 23, 2010: Biometrics appointment

September 20, 2010: Approval decision letter

September 27, 2010: 10-YEAR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

N-400 Application for Naturalization

January 23, 2017: N-400 Petition Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

January 25, 2017: NOA1 Dated

February 14, 2017: Biometrics appointment

October 27, 2017: NOA2 Dated

December 5, 2017: INTERVIEW PASSED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

they are also interested in the proof of meeting within the last 2 years - so make sure that the date of your proof clearly shows within the two years prior to submitting your application:-).

You can provide a narrative account of how you met the first time and since you have met subsequent times you can refer to those as well - point form works well. Just make sure that your 'proof' of meeting is within the two year time period. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
They're only interested in proof of meeting, so I wouldn't worry about the first trip if I were you....

Ahhhh.. so just "meeting" in general, and not like.. "meeting" as being introduced? I keep seeing people talk about how they've had RFE's for not describing how they intially met, so that's why I'm a bit nervous...

this is 2 different things you have to write down in a letter how you have meet each other, but for the proof you just have to proof that you have met in the past two year no matter if it was the first or second or third time just proving you were together....

good luck with your filling :thumbs:

September 2006 : first meeting in US for a month ,after on year of communication

April 2007 :Second meeting in Us for a month

June 2007: we engaged our lawyers

17 July 2007 : I-129F send to USCIS California center

22 July 2007 : [1st NOA

16 September 2007 : Half of the waiting time done 60 days

09/22/2007 : day 66 what a long time still to wait........

11/29/2007 : NOA2 YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

03 January 2008 : Package 3 fromthe embassy

17 January 2008 : Medical examination

03 Febuary 2008 / Package 4

17 MARCH INTERVIEW

25 MARCH APPROVED GOT MY K1

05/17/2007: we hope this will be our wedding day.......

dreams are made to come true, Cyril & I are made to be together

.png

Filed: Timeline

Yep. Just like Kath said above.

D & I have been together 7+ years before filing....I'm sure they didn't want the whole narrative :lol:

I did briefly explain how we met, and did a bullet point form of every time we've been together (actually just as Kath said as well), etc...but I focused on proving the physical contact in the preceeding 2 years before filing.

Edited by LisaD

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Exactly. Brent & I just wrote a brief paragraph on how our relationship began, and then bullet pointed each subsequent meeting after that with a brief description.

E.g. "November 2006, Vanessa visited Brent in Florida and then travelled together to Pennsylvania for the Gimpel family Thanksgiving celebrations. (see flight documentation)"

;)

AOS Timeline

April 18, 2008 Civil Wedding at the courthouse

April 25. 2008 AOS packet sent to Chicago

April 29, 2008 AOS packet delivered

May 5, 2008 Receipt date for I-485, I-765 & I-131

May 9, 2008 NOA's & Biometrics Appointment letter received

May 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

June 6, 2008 Case transferred to CSC

July 8, 2008 AP Approved

July 14, 2008 EAD Approved

October 10, 2008 I-485 Approved

October 14, 2008 Green card received

I-129F Timeline

Sept 13, 2007 I-129F sent to VSC

Sept 15, 2007 I-129F received at VSC at 2:32pm

Sept 17, 2007 NOA1 Receipt

Jan 25, 2008 NOA2 Receipt

Jan 31, 2008 NVC received approved petition from USCIS, VT

Feb 4, 2008 NVC letter received with new case number & Petition forwarded to San Jose, Costa Rica

Feb 7, 2008 DHL package signed for by R MORA at San Jose Embassy

Mar 5, 2008 Picked up packet & scheduled interview for Mar 14th

Mar 7, 2008 Blood work & Xray medicals complete

Mar 10, 2008 Physical & vaccinations complete

Mar 14, 2008 Interview - receive 221(g) for missing Single certificate for Costa Rica

Mar 26, 2008 Pick up completed Single Cert from the Registro Civil & deliver to Embassy

Apr 2, 2008 Deliver Australian Single status cert to Embassy

Apr 8, 2008 Approved!! Visa in hand same day :)

C. and I didn't start researching the visa process until about two years into our relationship, and while he's the sort that keeps plane tickets and stubs, I am not because who needs all that paper around once the bills are paid?

So of ten or so visits, we had primary evidence for about five of them. I wrote all of them in the timeline and indicated where I had evidence. Where I didn't, I put 'no evidence included.'

In any case, the requirement is proof of one meeting in person in two years, not proof of the first meeting, so you should be good to go. :) Our earliest meeting was outside the two-year range anyway. Explain how you met. It's best to give them the whole story rather than pretend you met later than you did. But it's okay if you can't prove that first meeting if you can prove other meetings.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
C. and I didn't start researching the visa process until about two years into our relationship, and while he's the sort that keeps plane tickets and stubs, I am not because who needs all that paper around once the bills are paid?

So of ten or so visits, we had primary evidence for about five of them. I wrote all of them in the timeline and indicated where I had evidence. Where I didn't, I put 'no evidence included.'

In any case, the requirement is proof of one meeting in person in two years, not proof of the first meeting, so you should be good to go. :) Our earliest meeting was outside the two-year range anyway. Explain how you met. It's best to give them the whole story rather than pretend you met later than you did. But it's okay if you can't prove that first meeting if you can prove other meetings.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wow, I didn't even do that much proof or explaination.... just photocopy of my visa from France (where we met) and plane ticket returning home and wrote 1 sentence - "We met while I was a student in Paris and he was working in my building" or something along those lines. I might have also sent proof of our old addresses in France, but I don't really remember - I wasn't too organized at that point. :whistle:

As for proof of meeting in last 2 years, I filed right after I came back from a trip to see him and just submitted all the evidence I had from that (plane ticket, entry visa, and a few pictures).

I guess I was lucky I didn't get an RFE and his interview is in a few weeks :blush:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.