Nancy2015

People who try to speak Russian to me

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Whenever people learn where I'm from, they try to speak as much Russian to me as they are capable of. They start saying things like "Privet" "Spasiba" etc. every time they see me.

I'm not an ambassador on a mission to promote my culture and language here - I live in America, I try my hardest to learn to feel at home here, and I do not wish people to speak Russian to me. I would be living in Russsia if I did.

Is there a polite way to let people know I don't care for their linguistic talents? Maybe some subtle hint that will let them know how annoying I find it?

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Whenever people learn where I'm from, they try to speak as much Russian to me as they are capable of. They start saying things like "Privet" "Spasiba" etc. every time they see me.

I'm not an ambassador on a mission to promote my culture and language here - I live in America, I try my hardest to learn to feel at home here, and I do not wish people to speak Russian to me. I would be living in Russsia if I did.

Is there a polite way to let people know I don't care for their linguistic talents? Maybe some subtle hint that will let them know how annoying I find it?

I assume that you realize they are just trying to make you feel welcome, rather than constraining you to speaking Russian. I only ask this because you seem to take it as offensive that they speak to you in your native language. Maybe they are trying to work on THEIR russian speaking skills and you represent one of the few native speakers they have access to. But this (of course) is not to your point.

If it goes beyond an initial greeting, try saying: "Although I appreciate the chance to converse in Russian, I'd really prefer to talk in English because I'm trying to build my skills in this new language for me. If you can give me any pointers or tips, that would be great."

K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08
Biometrics (spouse & 3 kids) 05/14/08
AOS transferred to CSC 05/23/08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I assume that you realize they are just trying to make you feel welcome, rather than constraining you to speaking Russian. I only ask this because you seem to take it as offensive that they speak to you in your native language. Maybe they are trying to work on THEIR russian speaking skills and you represent one of the few native speakers they have access to. But this (of course) is not to your point.

If it goes beyond an initial greeting, try saying: "Although I appreciate the chance to converse in Russian, I'd really prefer to talk in English because I'm trying to build my skills in this new language for me. If you can give me any pointers or tips, that would be great."

Yeah, I am one of those people :). When I was in Myrtle Beach last year there were alot of foreign workers from Russia, young people, who were working hard and getting alot of ####### from Americans for their accents and such. I did my best to welcome them with a few words I knew and then tell them that they spoke English well, in Russian. I think many of them appreciated it because of the constant abuse by "typical Americans". A kind smile an a few familar words go a long way sometimes. However, I agree with you that since you are living in America that you want to do your best to fit in and make this your home. As for how to deal with such people, just be politely honest with them.

You sound like some sort of self-hating Russian :)

"He who does not take risks, does not drink the champagne" - Russian Proverb

3/4/08 - I-129F mailed
3/11/08 - NOA1 received
5/19/08 - NOA2 received
8/19/08 - Interview

APPROVED

9/30/08 - Arrival to US
10/25/08 - Married
2/7/11 - Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
You can be as polite as possible, but that's not any indication that people will be receptive. I think most people will be taken aback and confused by your request.

Very few Americans can hold any real conversation in Russian. More likely, they know a few phrases like please and thankyou. This can be annoying.

Speak nothing but Russian to them for a minute (or french, or german, whatever). They will take the hint and speak English.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline
I don't think that the people who run my country now are capable of completely changing their old Soviet ways.
I would love to see a democratic government in my country, but not necessarily a government that supports the U.S. in anything and everything.
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...72343&st=45

Note your use of "my country" in reference to Russia. This mentality I think in part contradicts your statements below.

I'm not an ambassador on a mission to promote my culture and language here - I live in America, I try my hardest to learn to feel at home here, and I do not wish people to speak Russian to me. I would be living in Russia if I did.

My suggestions to solve the problem at hand:

Before they even get a chance to know you are Russian tell them you are from San Jose or whatever city you are from the Bay Area and stick to that answer. Or simply say I am an American and America is "my country". Edited by Satellite

Most people that learn you speak Russian will try to say something to you if they know any words at all. Just thank them for the attempt and respond that you are trying to improve your English and would prefer to speak in English. Tell them if they will speak more slowly and avoid using slang it will improve your English immensely.

As stated above, a few words back in Russian will usually quiet the person trying to speak Russian. However, you might find that someone is trying to learn Russian and is looking for an opportunity to speak it. Don't discourage them.

Unfortunately, what you will likely find more often is when someone hears your accent they will just about stop listening to you completely. Americans don't try very hard to understand the English spoken by foreigners..

Timeline

Whenever I visit Russia and people learn where I am from they try to speak English to me. I never find it annoying and appreciate their attempts.

I agree that most people will only know a few words and phrases so the conversation will probably not go far. Really people are probably using it as a way to "break the ice" and meet you. I would think it rude to tell them you are not interested in hearing their Russian.

Relax and try not to let it bother you. People are interested to meet you and you will probably make some new friends this way.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

For the annoying "privet", "spasiba" people... there's a phrase that if they really know a bit of Russian will help them get the point, it begins with "idi na h......."

But, since most "annoying privet/spasiba" people only know the couple of words they learned from this movie or that movie, better to just tell them you're from Africa. My wife's done this several times and it completely throws them off. They associate that accent with what they've seen in the movies and are anticipating your response so they can drop their "knowledge" on you. Throw them for a loop with a "doom-boppa-lupa-dayo-(tongue click)-waaaa" and wait for there response. More likely than not, you'll just get a confused look and an "Oh."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

I think roguewave is spot on.

My experience in Russia was that as soon as someone figured out I was an American, many times they would practice some English on me. To me it was a great way to connect, and I really appreciated the effort. When I said I was from California, I'd occasionally get a "ahhh, Tyarm-ee-nator!" :) Of course, I was just a tourist so perhaps if I'd been there for longer it would eventually wear a little thin.

But nontheless, try to think of where they are coming from. They're speaking Russian to you as a way of welcoming you and trying making you feel more comfortable. For most Americans, you're going to find we've run out of Russian words to say right after "spaceba," "das vadanya," and maybe "privet" anyway. Tolerate it for that long and take it as a compliment. For the few people you run into that can actually hold a conversation in Russian, just tell them you're working on your English skills and would prefer to converse in English. Nobody's going to be put off by that.

Timeline
"Although I appreciate the chance to converse in Russian, I'd really prefer to talk in English because I'm trying to build my skills in this new language for me. If you can give me any pointers or tips, that would be great."

Wow, do I write that bad that it makes you think I speak awful English too and need a lot of practice?

Speak nothing but Russian to them for a minute (or french, or german, whatever). They will take the hint and speak English.

Done that :) They freak out :)

Note your use of "my country" in reference to Russia. This mentality I think in part contradicts your statements below.

Well, Sat, and what should I be saying? It is my country. I'd love to say the U.S. is my country too, but I think it's too early.

Before they even get a chance to know you are Russian tell them you are from San Jose or whatever city you are from the Bay Area and stick to that answer. Or simply say I am an American and America is "my country".

Well, that's lying... I can't lie very well. But yep, I can say I'm American.

Unfortunately, what you will likely find more often is when someone hears your accent they will just about stop listening to you completely. Americans don't try very hard to understand the English spoken by foreigners..

I've been here long enough to see that people talk to me and listen to me just fine. One of these people even fell in love with me :D

I don't really have much of an accent.

For the annoying "privet", "spasiba" people... there's a phrase that if they really know a bit of Russian will help them get the point, it begins with "idi na h......."

:lol::thumbs:

Edited by Sid and Nancy

Filed AOS from F-1

Personally I would do the American tourist who has no clue thing and speak english very loud and very slowly to them perhaps they dont speak english well either.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Timeline

Actually, I understand that there's only one thing I can do about it, and that is - to deal with it.

It's just funny, cause I've never seen anyone try to speak Spanish to Mexicans or Mandarin to Chinese people. If a person looks Hispanic or Asian, no one seems to give a damn where they're from and what language they speak. But with me it's different.

Filed AOS from F-1

Filed: Timeline
Actually, I understand that there's only one thing I can do about it, and that is - to deal with it.

It's just funny, cause I've never seen anyone try to speak Spanish to Mexicans or Mandarin to Chinese people. If a person looks Hispanic or Asian, no one seems to give a damn where they're from and what language they speak. But with me it's different.

You're different because Americans are used to seeing and interacting with Hispanics and Asians, especially Hispanics and Asians who are one or more generations removed from their country and so speak English without any accent. But most Americans have never met someone from your part of the world, so you're a novelty. There's also a pretty interesting history and rivalry between the FSU and the US. Back when I was in the Navy your people were my enemy. I used to sit on Navy aircraft with stuff pointed at your sailors, and I'm sure they had stuff pointed right back at me. All of that history just adds to the perceived mystique. I'd enjoy it if I were you. :)

FWIW, when I'm dealing with a Hispanic waiter whose first language is obviously Spanish, I do try to use my very limited Spanish vocabulary. I wonder how many of them I've annoyed. :)

Timeline
You're different because Americans are used to seeing and interacting with Hispanics and Asians, especially Hispanics and Asians who are one or more generations removed from their country and so speak English without any accent.

I didn't mean those who were born here - I meant those who actually came here form Asia or South America and have accents.

But most Americans have never met someone from your part of the world, so you're a novelty. There's also a pretty interesting history and rivalry between the FSU and the US. Back when I was in the Navy your people were my enemy. I used to sit on Navy aircraft with stuff pointed at your sailors, and I'm sure they had stuff pointed right back at me. All of that history just adds to the perceived mystique. I'd enjoy it if I were you. :)

I doubt you'd enjoy it :lol:

Funny how here you actually hated the Russian people, not just the government. In my country they didn't hate Americans - they felt bad for them, because they were oppressed by that horrible imperialist government :D

You see, I'm too young to remember any of that cold war stuff anyways, so when people even mention it, it feels very weird. But I only hear it from people over 40 - not exactly the age group where I'd be looking for friends :)

Filed AOS from F-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.