w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

One man one vote no longer works

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got this in my email... it is interesting.

-----------------------------------------------

1) Democracy is due for an upgrade.

The glitch is this old-fashioned idea of one man, one vote. That might have worked back when the interests of really successful people were roughly the same as those of the lunch-pail crowd. But America has created a new class of rich people who really deserve to be on top — and a lot of angry people bent on pulling them down.

In a properly functioning economy these rich people should have a lot more political power than ordinary people. It’s crazy that they have only the same measly vote as, say, one of the workers they might have to lay off in a restructuring. Giving workers this sort of equal time is counterproductive, especially for financial markets.

Think about it: The worker is going to do everything he can to screw up new deals. He’s going to cling to his old job; he wants us all in the same rut. And there are a lot more people like him than there are like Steve Jobs.

2) Most people — even highly educated congressional staffers — still don’t get it: Private-equity deals create jobs.

By borrowing a lot of money to buy entire companies, and then cutting out fat to pay off the loans, private-equity firms give the people who work for those companies a chance to find something more productive to do with their lives. A glance in the employment statistics suggests that some large majority of these ordinary folks find work elsewhere. Those are new jobs!

3) A lot of people — even U.S. senators — seem to have gotten the idea that the behavior of the top guys in private equity and hedge funds is somehow “excessive.”

The media is clearly to blame for this: I can’t tell you how many times some pinhead congressional staffer brought up Steve Schwarzman’s 60th birthday party. A guy rents the Seventh Regiment Armory, hangs a giant portrait of himself on the wall, invites 5,000 of his closest friends, and spends a few million bucks to bring in Rod Stewart to play and all of a sudden he doesn’t deserve to eat what he kills?

This is the point I tried to make to the political people: It’s really hard for someone of Steve’s caliber to relax. It’s no accident that he threw his party in an armory. As he told some reporter from the Wall Street Journal (big mistake, only talk to the editorial page): for him, each deal is life or death.

“I want war, not a series of skirmishes,” he said. “I didn’t get to be successful by letting other people hurt Blackstone or me.” I mean no disrespect to the generals in Iraq, but if they had Steve’s warrior soul they wouldn’t still be fighting Iraqis. They’d be buying and selling them.

Great men require great diversion from their great troubles. Even the giant oil painting of himself was totally necessary: Steve — like a lot of us under 5 feet, 7 inches — tends to lose himself in his work. He needs to be reminded that he actually exists. For one night the guy tries to stand tall, and Congress responds with a new tax on platform shoes.

This brings me to. . .

4) The working rich are already way too heavily taxed.

The truest arguments are often the ones that are hardest to make ordinary people understand, and this is the truest of them all. Rich people know how to invest extra money. Poor people just squander it on necessities. That’s why capitalism works so well: it keeps money out of the hands of people who don’t know how to use it and directs it to people who know how to make it grow.

This is why it makes no sense for rich people to give away their money. Warren Buffett had the right idea: keep piling up as much as possible until the very end — and then give it to a guy even richer than you. But to judge from the media response hardly anyone understood what I think Warren was trying to say:

“IF YOU’RE HOPING FOR SOME RICH GUY TO GIVE YOU HIS MONEY, YOU BETTER GET YOUR ### OFF THE SIDEWALK AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE EVEN MORE THAN HIM.”

5) Darwin was onto something.

One way to look at Wall Street is as evolution, speeded up. It’s all about the survival of the fittest. Well, the fittest have been identified, and it’s important, for the greater good, to help them to survive.

For some reason our democracy can’t see that. It takes the opposite approach: The minute a guy makes his first hundred million, ordinary people and their elected representatives scheme to weaken him.

So what if forcing the top 25 hedge-fund managers to pay Medicare tax would cover the Medicare costs of more than 68,000 old people? Florida could stand to lose a few geezers. America can’t afford to weaken even one of its most successful financiers.

Anyway, I’m not even sure it’s possible to do it. Some of the private-equity guys have threatened to up and move to Dubai if they’re forced to pay Medicare. And maybe they will. But I’ll bet a lot of them will do what I plan to do: fight back.

Last year I took home $50 million in carried interest, give or take. I paid 15 percent in taxes. I was so upset that I went out this year and made $70 million. You do the math: you take away 7 1/2 I just go make 20 more.

Tax us all you want. You’ll never catch up.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

This is just a joke post.

The extremely wealthy already are on a different playing field. Access to attorneys, best health care, PAC's, phone numbers of important people, tax shelters, the best education, etc., etc., put them in a world where the common grunt working class person will never have access.

If you are a wealthy, important, powerful person would you have time to waste ranting to the very people who would scorn you and whom you can't relate to in any area?

Nope, you would keep quiet, enjoy your earthly status, and chuckle at the small people as you enjoy your days on this earth.

Until there is a way to avoid or postpone death, sooner or later, rich or poor, we all take that final journey.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
This is just a joke post.

The extremely wealthy already are on a different playing field. Access to attorneys, best health care, PAC's, phone numbers of important people, tax shelters, the best education, etc., etc., put them in a world where the common grunt working class person will never have access.

If you are a wealthy, important, powerful person would you have time to waste ranting to the very people who would scorn you and whom you can't relate to in any area?

Nope, you would keep quiet, enjoy your earthly status, and chuckle at the small people as you enjoy your days on this earth.

Until there is a way to avoid or postpone death, sooner or later, rich or poor, we all take that final journey.

yeppers. but politically speaking, the pols at at their beck and call. just need to find ways to placate the masses.

Daniel

:energetic:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Two men enter........ :blink:

one man leaves? :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

lol..i spent a time or too..in the thunderdome..but it was a man and woman enter...a woman walks out

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
lol..i spent a time or too..in the thunderdome..but it was a man and woman enter...a woman walks out

ah you were playing thunderbone :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!