misty_eyes

divorce before removing the conditional status

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi to everyone. i am a filipina and i had been here in the US for a year now. and my marriage is failing. my husband told me that he realized he wasnt inlove with me. this ahppened after he met another girl and started helping this girl in her restaurant. thats when everything changed, he doenst show any affection towards me anymore and seemed not to care anymore. he is always away and he is always witht his girl, i dont know if they have a relationship coz he keeps telling me they are just friends. they are seen together on wee hours in the morning and she calls him 12 am 2:30. also this girl is married to an american but she doesnt love him they just had an agreement that she will come here to marry him. they sleep in different rooms basicaly this is illegal. anyway i want to know if anyone can help me witha dvice or anything. i know if we divorce now my green card will be void and its possible ill be deported back to the philippines. we dont have joint accounts nor kids. i know these are the evidence that i can show the immigration that i entered this marriage in good faith and it is not my fault why this is failing. but i have evidence of him emailing other women and chatting with other women behind my back and they are asians too. so basically he is cheating. can i consider these things that he is doing as emotional abuse to me? and also if anyone can advice me on how i can report him to the immigration so he cant get any women outside the US, our divorce will be his 3rd divorce already. and i wanna report this girl also to the immigration. if anyone have some advice regarding this i would greatly appreciate it...thank you

You need to speak with an attorney. Preferably one that is familiar with immigration laws. Most law offices already know about divorce, so try to find one that also has recent experience in immigration.

Regarding this guy, well I'm sure a letter to the USCIS regarding his history with foreign women will be very helpful to them. The IMBRA law wasn't only to protect foreign women, but also to identify men that are abusing the system or possibly trafficking in women. I would wait to contact the USCIS until you have talked to a lawyer. It might help if you have documentation to support your allegations of this man and his possible abuse of you. Abuse can be emotional, not just physical.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
also this girl is married to an american but she doesnt love him they just had an agreement that she will come here to marry him. they sleep in different rooms basicaly this is illegal

Report people committing immigration fraud to ICE. People like that make it difficult for the honest people to legally immigrate.

VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423.

I don't think you will be deported because you are divorcing. I think you can remove conditions yourself. I am sure someone here has experienced it and will give you the information you seek. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Contact a lawyer and collect as much proof as you can about your husband cheating on you but don't let him know. My heart goes out to you.

D&J

05-26-2006: Engaged!!

DHS/USCIS - I-129F

02-26-2007: Petition Mailed to TSC via Express Mail

03-06-2007: NOA1 "Notice"

03-07-2007: Check cashed (posted 03-12-2007)

03-12-2007: NOA1 Received in Mail from CSC

06-11-2007: NOA2 Received in Mail from CSC

NVC

06-22-2007: NVC Received Case

06-26-2007: NVC Sent to Manila Embassy (got DOS Case #)

07-02-2007: Received Letter from NVC, dated June 27, 2007

USE-Manila

06-26-2007: USE received case electronically

07-05-2007: USE received hard copy of case from NVC

07-31-2007: J receivied Packet 4

08-16/17-2007: J did early Medical Review at St. Luke's

09-10-2007: Interview Approved!

09-14-2007: Visa in HAND!!

02/21/2008: USA Arrival

03/29/2008: Wedding!

05/12/2008: Mailed AOS via Express Mail

05/21/2008: Check clears our bank account

05/22/2008: Touch on all three apps

05/23/2008: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP arrives from MSC (notice date 5/19/08)

05/24/2008: Received Biometrics Appt. Letter

06/16/2008: Biometrics Appt. at Durham Office

06/17/2008: EAD & AOS touched

07/21/2008: AP "Approval Notice Sent" & EAD "Card Production Ordered" via CRIS Email

07/25/2008: 2 copies of AP approval form received in snail mail, dated 7/21/08

07/28/2008: EAD Card arrives in mail; CRIS email sent I765 (EAD) "Approval Notice Sent"

11/25/2008: Received Appt. Letter dated 11/18/2008 (Appt. is 1/13/09)

01/13/2009: AOS Interview approved

01/20/2009: AOS Approval Notice received

01/23/2009: 2-year Green Card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

dj1206 advice is good.

Until you are ready to act, don't let your husband know what you are planning. This of course makes it difficult because how do you pay the lawyer without him knowing?

Collect proof of his cheating if you can, but keep in mind that chatting with another woman, even at 2 am does not constitute cheating.

Cheating is generally regarded as having sex with another person, and that may be difficult to get. Even MORE difficult if he knows you are watching him.

As difficult as it is, you may end up with 2 difficult choices.

1) fake it and pretend you don't know until you get the 10 year card. Collecting cheating evidence, and divorce process may take that long anyway.

2) be prepared to be deported. You might not be deported, but if you prepare for the worst, then anything else is all good news.

Sorry, it isn't a pretty picture.

The only upside I can suggest is that divorce courts in america generally side with the woman.

Also, if you do file for divorce, remember you can put just about anything you want in a divorce decree, especially if you can prove cheating.

See if you can put in the divorce decree that he MUST complete your 10 year card, and he must support you per the I-864 he signed even after the marriage is terminated.

Also, during the divorce process you are technically still married. Just get a separation agreement (where he supports you, but you live in different places). Then drag the divorce out until you get your 10 year card.

I don't know, I am not a lawyer. Just trying to think of ways for you to get a better life.

I am sorry for your bad situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

First, welcome to VJ, I see you just joined today. You will find this community very supportive and helpful.

I agree with what is said by Credzba, divorce will take time; take all the time you need to get you legal status; document everything

October 01, 2007 Package mailed to Vermont

October 02, 2007 Package delivered to Vermont at 10:06 by FedEx

October 03, 2007 NOA1 Notice Date

October 07, 2007 Touched

October 09, 2007 NOA1 Snail Mail

October 11, 2007 Check Cashed

October 23, 2007 Touched, suspect because of change of address by Petitioner

October 24, 2007 Touched again, no idea why

January 10, 2008 Touched

January 11, 2008 Touched again

January 16, 2008 Officially canceled but we will find a way to be together, either in Holland or some other country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I also believe that you are not subject to deportation just because the marriage didn't work. I think the issue when you go to lift the temporary restrictions will be proving the divorce was for just cause and people have addressed that here and that the marriage was entered into in good faith in the first place . . . and that proof is not just a joint account or kids. When you filed for your residency before you had to provide some of that proof - look for more of that.

Things like life, car or home insurance in both of your names, credit cards in both of your names, any other bills like cell phone to name a few. Right now just gather everything you can think of even if it seems insignificant now - you might not have a chance to gather it later . . . phone bills, bank statements that show you paid any household bills or he paid your bills . . . also, make sure you have copies of all the prior immigration papers.

You REALLY need to see an attorney at least for a free consultation as soon as possible. My thought - worry about yourself first, you don't want him getting mad and trying to mess things up for you - besides, I don't think you can report him for anything fraudulent anyway . . . unless you got into the marriage fraudulently too!? hehehe. :) Good luck!!

July 3, 2007 - Mailed I-129F to CSC

July 13, 2007 - Received NOA1

November 15, 2007 - Received NOA2

January 10, 2008 - Received NOA4

February 13, 2008 - CFO in Cebu

February 18, 2008 - Early Medical

March 3, 2008 - Interview!!!

March 14, 2008 - Baby and the Boy together in Los Angeles!!

I also believe that you are not subject to deportation just because the marriage didn't work. I think the issue when you go to lift the temporary restrictions will be proving the divorce was for just cause and people have addressed that here and that the marriage was entered into in good faith in the first place . . . and that proof is not just a joint account or kids. When you filed for your residency before you had to provide some of that proof - look for more of that.

Things like life, car or home insurance in both of your names, credit cards in both of your names, any other bills like cell phone to name a few. Right now just gather everything you can think of even if it seems insignificant now - you might not have a chance to gather it later . . . phone bills, bank statements that show you paid any household bills or he paid your bills . . . also, make sure you have copies of all the prior immigration papers.

You REALLY need to see an attorney at least for a free consultation as soon as possible. My thought - worry about yourself first, you don't want him getting mad and trying to mess things up for you - besides, I don't think you can report him for anything fraudulent anyway . . . unless you got into the marriage fraudulently too!? hehehe. :) Good luck!!

:thumbs::yes: You entered the marriage in good faith!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for everyone who replied to me. i also think i need to see an immigration lawyer but my problem is they are too expensive an di cant afford it. im working right now but the money i ear is not enough. if any of you guys know an immigration lawyer thats cheap or even better that can offer a free consultation. again thank you everyone...

Hi what is ICE by the way?

First of all I'm sorry to hear that your marriage is not working. And as what others had said, gather more evidence of alleged "cheating" by your husband. Chatting per se with another girl can be cheating or just merely chatting/talking with friends and you will need more proof than that. Pictures of them together especially in an uncompromising situation will be a good proof.

Since you enter the US in good faith and your marriage and relationship is legal, I don't think they can deport you but you may still need him until you get your 10-year GC (when you remove conditions?). But you can apply for removal by yourself, there are several reasons that you can use like "abuse" (physical, mental/emotional, etc..). But your claim of "abuse" should be collaborated with proper evidences for them to approve you, especially if you're thinking of divorcing him. So, gather more proof/evidence you can find. Have several photocopies of all the documents you can find. You do need a good Attorney for this if you will file for divorce and if you will be filing for removal by yourself.

ICE - Immigration and Customs Enforcement of the Department of Homeland Security-> where you can report any fraudulent or illegal activities with regards to Immigration.

Good Luck and God Bless!

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

you may try this for free consultation: ebael@kaflaw.com, they can assist you. where are you in the States? goodluck! i also applied my I-751 with a waiver. although every case are not the same, i recommend that you seek legal advice about your case..

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.