tanyakaraman

One-way flight OK for K1 visa holders?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My fiance's K1 visa has been approved and he is now in the process of buying his ticket to the U.S. I'm sure this was probably covered before and I apologize for reiterating (i am still figuring out how to search through the forum)...but is it ok for him to purchase a 1-way ticket to the US? He is being told that he must buy a 2-way ticket since it is his first time here, but that just seems ridiculous to me.

Also, should he try to get a direct flight or doesn't it really matter (other than the obvious additional risk for losing luggage, etc.?) :unsure:

Thanks to anyone who can help me answer these questions. He is very stressed out over these issues and wants to make sure he does everything correctly (bless his heart :))

~Tanya

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

My fiance's K1 visa has been approved and he is now in the process of buying his ticket to the U.S. I'm sure this was probably covered before and I apologize for reiterating (i am still figuring out how to search through the forum)...but is it ok for him to purchase a 1-way ticket to the US? He is being told that he must buy a 2-way ticket since it is his first time here, but that just seems ridiculous to me.

Also, should he try to get a direct flight or doesn't it really matter (other than the obvious additional risk for losing luggage, etc.?) :unsure:

Thanks to anyone who can help me answer these questions. He is very stressed out over these issues and wants to make sure he does everything correctly (bless his heart :))

~Tanya

tanyakaraman,

One-way tickets are fine - there is absolutely no problem with them. Direct is OK, but not always possible so just make sure to allow enough time to travel through immigrations and customs between connections at the POE.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
round-trip tickets are WAY cheaper! It doesn't matter where you enter the US... (anyone correct me if I'm wrong please.)

RT for my fiancee from China to the US was more expensive than the ONE-Way that I bought, it all depends on airline, and time of year.

Go with what ever is cheaper, if RT make sure that the first trip originates in the foreign country and that the the trip not used is the "RETURN TRIP".

THIS IS A FAQ:

4.10..I'm getting conflicting reports on what is required for a plane ticket to the U.S. I was told that you need to have a round trip ticket. Is that true?

A...This subject has been discussed in the newsgroup at great length. The plane ticket is irrelevant! Go for what ever fits your budget. (Note: this means it is not required to have a round trip ticket when entering on a K1 visa)

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-ap...ation.html#4.10

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yeah it is possible to buy a one way ticket,but as mentioned above they are usually much much more expencive.

For example if you go to www.cheaptickets.com you will see the price differance for a one way ticket compared to a round trip.

All the best for you guys.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

One way was much cheaper for me, but either way is fine.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

One way worked fine for us. He's been here one month now and had no hassles at immigration. We did direct b/c of the luggage thing, but do what is easiest for you.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Timeline

Hi Tanya,

We are in the same boat. Tix to JFk in Sept, and Oct, seem pretty high. We priced one way- and it is significantly cheaper, so I believe we are going that route.

I feel better with Omer traveling direct- as I had a nightmare of an experience flying through Paris to Istanbul in December.

The little extra for the direct ticket- seems to far outweigh the distress that could be caused by a missed flight, lost luggage etc... Omer will be nervous enough.

Good Luck!

Christine

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Go with whichever you can get the cheapest deal with. Claudeth purchased her one-way ticket in the Philippines and seved us about $150 from what I could get it for. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Thank so much everyone for your advice! Ozzy is purchasing his ticket today. At his insistence, we confirmed this with the US Embassy in Turkey, and they also assured us that it doesn't matter and he should buy the ticket that is most convenient for him, whether it be one-way or round-trip.

I'm still awaiting the final details from him, but he's tentatively planning to arrive at JFK on Sept. 22! Not so very far away now. I'm SO excited...but secretly a lil nervous too. I want to make him feel as relaxed and at-home as possible after he arrives. I'm afraid he's going to be in for a huge culture shock going from busy Istanbul to my little farming/residential town in the middle of Nowhere, USA!! Any hints or suggestions from people who've been through this? What helped you or your SO the most in making the adjustment to life in the US? I would love to hear from you!! :)

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
round-trip tickets are WAY cheaper! It doesn't matter where you enter the US... (anyone correct me if I'm wrong please.)

Round tickets and single tickets normally cost the same, but if you do some simple research you can find one ways that are half the price of the roundtrip. Save the extra dollar and put it towards the AOS!

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think I will end up purchasing a one-way ticket for Marlon as it seems to be cheaper than round-trip. The only problem I forsee is that Marlon may have to spend a night in an airport... :blink:

my hubby and I spent a night in LAX waiting for the next flight.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.