16 posts in this topic

Hi guys, been away for a while, and am limited on time, I may have asked this before but I could do with an answer if poss.

We're going thru the IR1/CR1 route and have had an emergency back in the US where my wife is. This may render her unable to work for a while.

If this is the case and we dont come anywhere near the poverty guidelines with this event. No opportunity of a co sponsor in the US....

SO, can I self sponsor with XX amount in the bank?

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thanks..

USCIS California Service Center - Expedited

09-SEP-2010 : Mailed I130 Petition to Chicago Lockbox.

16-SEP-2010 : Received NOA1.

24-SEP-2010 : Expedite: service request

05-OCT-2010 : Supporting documents sent to CSC.

16-OCT-2010 : RFE received.

19-OCT-2010 : RFE response received at CSC.

22-OCT-2010 : I130 Petition APPROVED.

30-OCT-2010 : NOA2 Received in Mail

NVC - Expedited

27-OCT-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-NOV-2010 : Expedite request emailed to NVC

10-NOV-2010 : Expedite approved - Case forwarded to Consulate

12-NOV-2010 : Medical

US Embassy - Expedited

18-NOV-2010 : Packet 3 email received.

19-NOV-2010 : Emailed DS230, DS2001

30-NOV-2010 : Interview - 9am Denied: 3 year bar (overstay) - i601 Waiver filed with expedite request

01-DEC-2010 : MP requests assistance from US Ambassador

03-DEC-2010 : Waiver transferred from USCIS to DHS

11-DEC-2010 : Waiver Receipt notification dated 07-DEC-2010

20-DEC-2010 : VISA/Waiver Approved

22-DEC-2010 : Approval letter received

24-DEC-2010 : Passport collected by courier

10-JAN-2011 : CR1 Visa Issued by IVU London

11-JAN-2011 : Passport / Visa delivered.

18-JAN-2011 : POE: EWR (Newark, New Jersey)

17-FEB-2011 : Welcome Letter Arrived

19-FEB-2011 : Green Card I-551 Arrived

I-130 Mailing to Approval (incl. waiver): 102 Days

OCT 2012 : Applied for Removal of Conditions

DEC 2012 : Received NOA1 (GC extention letter)

18-JAN-2013 : Biometrics walk in approved and completed

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi guys, been away for a while, and am limited on time, I may have asked this before but I could do with an answer if poss.

We're going thru the IR1/CR1 route and have had an emergency back in the US where my wife is. This may render her unable to work for a while.

If this is the case and we dont come anywhere near the poverty guidelines with this event. No opportunity of a co sponsor in the US....

Thanks..

I suggest you transfer enough cash to a US bank account that is joint or in your wife's name. Then she can sponsor you with your joint liquid assets. It will take just over $50,000 if her income is zero and there are only two of you in the household, or 3 dollars in assets can replace one dollar in income .

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

If you have the interview prior to the end of the year. Your wife only needs 2006 tax returns showing sufficent income.

2007 doesn't count yet other than it's good to show she is still working when you are interviewed.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Timeline

beckypua,

Current income does count. If item 23 of the I-864 shows 0, rest assured that there will be questions followed by problems no matter what is shown for item 24.

Yodrak

If you have the interview prior to the end of the year. Your wife only needs 2006 tax returns showing sufficent income.

2007 doesn't count yet other than it's good to show she is still working when you are interviewed.

I don't know that it's necessary to transfer the money until it's needed - the sponsor can use the sponsored immigrant's assets on their I-864.

On the otherhand, it's not clear that Household Member's assets can be used at the same 3:1 ratio as the sponsor's. All of the guidelines that I've seen are written to say that the ratio is 5:1 except when the Sponsor is sponsoring their spouse or minor children. The exception is not mentioned for teh assets of Household Members or the intending immigrant. It may be an oversight, or it may not.

Yodrak

Thanks..

I suggest you transfer enough cash to a US bank account that is joint or in your wife's name. Then she can sponsor you with your joint liquid assets. It will take just over $50,000 if her income is zero and there are only two of you in the household, or 3 dollars in assets can replace one dollar in income .

thanks for your replies guys. something rather horrific happened to my wife today, so I may have to self sponsor if possible. would you suggest I call the NVC or USCIS to find out the state of play regarding the matter?

We have no real assetts to speak of, only a few $$$.

NVC - Expedited

US Embassy - Expedited

30-NOV-2010 : Interview - 9am Denied: 3 year bar (overstay) - i601 Waiver filed with expedite request

RichiSusie,

You cannot "self sponsor" - there is no such thing. The best you can do is have your wife include your assets or, if your income will continue from the same source after you immigrate, include your income. Or have a Joint Sponsor.

Yodrak

thanks for your replies guys. something rather horrific happened to my wife today, so I may have to self sponsor if possible. would you suggest I call the NVC or USCIS to find out the state of play regarding the matter?

We have no real assetts to speak of, only a few $$$.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I hope everything works out for the best for your wife.

Pushbrk's idea should work - transferring $3 to your wife's bank account for every $1 of income she needs to demonstrate. Transfer the money sooner then later - the longer it is in the bank account, the more credible it will be to the Embassy.

Also, getting her a co-sponsor might be required.

You cannot co-sponsor, as you do not meet the requirements to sponsor

The list below identifies who must become sponsors by completing and signing a Form I-864.

- The U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who filed a Form I-130 for a family member, Form I-129F for a fiance(e), or Form I-600 or I-600A for an orphan.

- The U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who filed an employment-based immigrant visa petition (Form I-140) for a spouse, parent, son, daughter, or sibling who: (1) has a significant ownership interest (five percent or more) in the business which filed the employment-based immigrant visapetition; or (2) is related to the intending immigrant as a spouse, parent, son, daughter, or sibling.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

beckypua,

Current income does count. If item 23 of the I-864 shows 0, rest assured that there will be questions followed by problems no matter what is shown for item 24.

Yodrak

It's current ANNUAL income that's supposed to be listed to meet the requirements of the I-864.

If you think submitting current and expected income will help your case then you can submit such.

You do not have to list current and expected income unless ask for by an immigration official.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

I suggest you take Yodrak's advice and list your current income and not wait to be asked about it by the immigration official.

3dflagsdotcom_roman_2faws.gifaheart2.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Our CR-1 Timeline

Feb 20, 2010 ~ We will file to remove conditions

beckypua,

Yes, current income expressed on an annual basis - not expressed as per hour or per pay period.

Evidence of the current income is not required unless requested. This does not mean the a person does not have to answer the question on the form. And some VJers who have not provided evidence of their current income have reported receiving RFEs requesting it.

Yodrak

beckypua,

Yodrak

It's current ANNUAL income that's supposed to be listed to meet the requirements of the I-864.

If you think submitting current and expected income will help your case then you can submit such.

You do not have to list current and expected income unless ask for by an immigration official.

As of yesterday my wife was not employed. she will be looking for a new job in the interim though.

we are now at the NVC stage, si its a cause for concern.

myself, I'll be getting a job once in the US, obviously, but with my sponsor currently unemployed forthe immediate future, we were just wondering what do do as far as the next stage goes.

with the i864, we cant provide letter from employer etc, so that makes things a little more difficlt than anticipated.

NVC - Expedited

US Embassy - Expedited

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
As of yesterday my wife was not employed. she will be looking for a new job in the interim though.

we are now at the NVC stage, si its a cause for concern.

myself, I'll be getting a job once in the US, obviously, but with my sponsor currently unemployed forthe immediate future, we were just wondering what do do as far as the next stage goes.

with the i864, we cant provide letter from employer etc, so that makes things a little more difficlt than anticipated.

That's unfortunate. It's too bad you didn't have your I-864 all ready to go, signed and dated the day before yesterday. Have you checked with your wife to see if there is a chance she actually did that?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

no unfortunately we didnt, as yesterday was a complete shock and unexpected. I'm goign to give the nvc a ring on monday and see what they say

NVC - Expedited

US Embassy - Expedited

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
no unfortunately we didnt, as yesterday was a complete shock and unexpected. I'm goign to give the nvc a ring on monday and see what they say

You guys rock!!! :thumbs: I remember, check screen name Necrotica in the Canada thread, she had approx. a similar situation..lost her job shortly after the Support form sent or so...maybe you can grab some ideas...( sorry im computer illeterate to bring you the link here)...Im sure there is a solution!!! (F)

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.