ilikepotatoes

Is filing 7 weeks before green card expires enough time?

9 posts in this topic

We have until July 20th to file, and had planned on filing exactly 90 days beforehand, but we had an unexpected expense. We get our next paycheck on the first of June, but I’m worrying that it’ll be cutting it too close and the extension letter won’t be sent in time. Could this be an issue? Could my husband lose his job as a result of this?

Yes, that will be fine. He won’t lose his status or anything. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

16 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

Thank you so much for your reply! What happens if they don’t send the extension letter in time, though? How does he handle that with his employment? 

Nothing to handle with his employment, he doesn’t have to update anything (unless he is changing employers, that might get a little tricky with the I-9). 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

11 minutes ago, ilikepotatoes said:

I just thought that if the extension letter came too late and he has no proof to show his employer, then he could lose his job? I have no idea lol. I appreciate the responses!

Employers are not allowed to ask LPRs for re-verification after their 2 year GC expires. Here’s a link to the USCIS manual to show HR in case they ask.

https://www.uscis.gov/book/export/html/59502

Reverification is also never required when the following documents expire: U.S. passports, U.S. passport cards, Permanent Resident Cards (also known as Green Cards), and List B documents.”

Under Avoiding discrimination section:

• Don’t request that someone who presented an unexpired Permanent Resident Card present a new document when the Permanent Resident Card expires.

If he’s changing jobs, present a DL/state ID and unrestricted SSN for I-9 purposes. This is just much easier and hassle free than presenting GC or extension letters.

1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Employers are not allowed to ask LPRs for re-verification after their 2 year GC expires. Here’s a link to the USCIS manual to show HR in case they ask.

https://www.uscis.gov/book/export/html/59502

Reverification is also never required when the following documents expire: U.S. passports, U.S. passport cards, Permanent Resident Cards (also known as Green Cards), and List B documents.”

Under Avoiding discrimination section:

• Don’t request that someone who presented an unexpired Permanent Resident Card present a new document when the Permanent Resident Card expires.

If he’s changing jobs, present a DL/state ID and unrestricted SSN for I-9 purposes. This is just much easier and hassle free than presenting GC or extension letters.

Omg thank you so much! I have been having bad anxiety all day about this. This is so good to know! 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ilikepotatoes said:

I just thought that if the extension letter came too late and he has no proof to show his employer, then he could lose his job? I have no idea lol. I appreciate the responses!

Wait, why would need extension letter for empoyer?

All he he needs to show is unrestricted social security card and state ID / Driver's License for I-9 verification.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.