David&Glaiza

Student visas for minor us citizens to attend school in the Philippines

36 posts in this topic

The other big question, assuming there was a custody case (??), is how cooperative and helpful is mom inclined to be?  Assuming the children were born after mom naturalized and lost her Filipino citizenship(??).   If mom were to reacquire her Filipino citizenship she could also include her children in the application making them Filipino Citizens.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

6 hours ago, top_secret said:

If mom were to reacquire her Filipino citizenship she could also include her children in the application making them Filipino Citizens.

I didn't know that was possible. Definitely sounds like the best option if this is the case.

7 hours ago, top_secret said:

If you are the non-Filipino, non-Balikbayan, US Citizen parent, who is living in the Philippines

Well to add another twist he will be getting married to a Pinay in July opening up even more options.

1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

I didn't know that was possible. Definitely sounds like the best option if this is the case.

$60 for mom and $35 for each kid included with moms application to reacquire Filipino citizenship.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/11/2024 at 11:27 PM, top_secret said:

If you are the non-Filipino, non-Balikbayan, US Citizen parent, who is living in the Philippines, (if I figured that out correctly????) then what is your visa status in the Philippines????  Most Philippine resident visas would allow inclusion of minor dependants.  If you are living there by extending tourist visas I 'think' the children would need to do the same.  

I am a US citizen, married in the Philippines 14 years ago.I brought my then-wife to USA. She became a US citizen, opting out of the dual citizenship option. We got divorced in the USA 4 years ago. I am getting married in July here in the Philippines to my fiance here. Once married I will apply for the 13A visa. My two children are being brought here by Court Stipulation to stay with me for the next 3 years. 
At the beginning I can re-new their visitor visas.  Once I get the 13A visa do my kids get added to that? Are they requires to get a Student Visa?  They are ages 5 and 7.

Mahalo

Timeline
On 5/12/2024 at 8:22 AM, top_secret said:

$60 for mom and $35 for each kid included with moms application to reacquire Filipino citizenship.

She's not going to apply for Philippines citizenship. She lives in the US and is happy there.

Timeline
On 5/11/2024 at 11:46 PM, top_secret said:

The other big question, assuming there was a custody case (??), is how cooperative and helpful is mom inclined to be?  Assuming the children were born after mom naturalized and lost her Filipino citizenship(??).   If mom were to reacquire her Filipino citizenship she could also include her children in the application making them Filipino Citizens.

Mom really has no choice. A court order requires her to bring them here no later than July 1, 2024.

1 minute ago, David&Glaiza said:

I am a US citizen, married in the Philippines 14 years ago.I brought my then-wife to USA. She became a US citizen, opting out of the dual citizenship option. We got divorced in the USA 4 years ago. I am getting married in July here in the Philippines to my fiance here. Once married I will apply for the 13A visa. My two children are being brought here by Court Stipulation to stay with me for the next 3 years. 
At the beginning I can re-new their visitor visas.  Once I get the 13A visa do my kids get added to that? Are they requires to get a Student Visa?  They are ages 5 and 7.

Mahalo

To very specifically answer the direct question..  If the children are not Filipino citizens then I am pretty sure their visa status will be directly the same as their foreigner parent or guardian.  The Philippines does not have a student visa category for minors that is separate from their parent.  Almost anything to do with a non Filipino citizen minor will be dependent on the patent's status. I do not believe children would need anything more than a valid extended tourist visa to attend a private school at the parents expense but I would verify that with the school.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

10 minutes ago, David&Glaiza said:

Mom really has no choice. A court order requires her to bring them here no later than July 1, 2024.

I would also just mention that international treaties and court orders aside, mom has defacto absolute control over her children in the Philippines.  If she chose to dispute you on her turf you might find yourself in a much weaker position than the US.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

18 minutes ago, David&Glaiza said:

She's not going to apply for Philippines citizenship. She lives in the US and is happy there.

She can live here, be happy here, and still re-acquire her Philippine citizenship, if not for herself then for her kids. For my children one of the first things I did was get them dual citizenship so that for the rest of their life, they would have all options open to them.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, top_secret said:

To very specifically answer the direct question..  If the children are not Filipino citizens then I am pretty sure their visa status will be directly the same as their foreigner parent or guardian.  The Philippines does not have a student visa category for minors that is separate from their parent.  Almost anything to do with a non Filipino citizen minor will be dependent on the patent's status. I do not believe children would need anything more than a valid extended tourist visa to attend a private school at the parents expense but I would verify that with the school.

Thank you very much!

Aloha, David

Timeline
5 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

She can live here, be happy here, and still re-acquire her Philippine citizenship, if not for herself then for her kids. For my children one of the first things I did was get them dual citizenship so that for the rest of their life, they would have all options open to them.

To be honest I always thought the dual-citizenship process was kind of a slap in the face to the US.  I mean when you get sworn in as a US Citizen you SWEAR your allegiance to them, forsaking kings, other countries, etc... We both actually thought that was kind of inappropriate.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, top_secret said:

I would also just mention that international treaties and court orders aside, mom has defacto absolute control over her children in the Philippines.  If she chose to dispute you on her turf you might find yourself in a much weaker position than the US.

On this I would have to disagree.  MOM is no longer a citizen of the Philippines.  She is a US CITIZEN and resides in the US. This court order is US based as is her citizenship. This is a COURT STIPULATION that we both signed and agreed to. The Philippine courts would have no jurisdiction over this matter.

5 minutes ago, David&Glaiza said:

To be honest I always thought the dual-citizenship process was kind of a slap in the face to the US.  I mean when you get sworn in as a US Citizen you SWEAR your allegiance to them, forsaking kings, other countries, etc... We both actually thought that was kind of inappropriate.

Well we can agree to disagree on this one. I think that the US should not force you to abandon your birthright, culture and everything you know to become a citizen. The fact that the US allows you to re-acquire citizenship from another country and PH also allows it makes it not seem like a slap in the face.  My biggest problem is getting my wife to go for US citizenship in the first place. She really wants no part of it. If she does, I would also have her re-acquire here PH citizenship. Our children are dual citizens and even though we will be moving to live in the Philippines in 2 years, she will most likely out live me and I want her to have all options open if one or both of our children decide that they want to move to America as adults.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, David&Glaiza said:

There's a difference between allegiance and citizenship. Don't confuse the two.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.