Rolloofthenorm

Is it possible for me to travel?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

“Mean or prove?” 🤯 You claim to be a U.S. Citizen and not aware that as such you can apply for a U.S. Passport? 🤯🤯 Again, IF you have in your possession a valid U.S. Passport, you can travel on it … Bye 👋🏻 

Just now, CarmenD said:

“Mean or prove?” 🤯 You claim to be a U.S. Citizen and not aware that as such you can apply for a U.S. Passport? 🤯🤯 Again, IF you have in your possession a valid U.S. Passport, you can travel on it … Bye 👋🏻 

ok but wouldn't my arrest be an issue even though it was expunged?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Rolloofthenorm said:

wouldn't my arrest be an issue even though it was expunged?

It's hard enough for U.S. authorities to retrieve expunged records.  Imagine how difficult this would be for authorities in foreign countries.

I think it's Canada that won't let U.S. citizens in if there's a conviction for DUI, DWI, or similar (others can confirm or correct this).  An expunged misdemeanor arrest from 9 years ago would almost certainly be beyond their capability to research.

If you have a U.S. passport with at least 6 months of validity left on it, you can travel just about anywhere, of course keeping in mind any lengths of stay or work permits required by other countries.  I wouldn't worry about your arrest.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

5 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

It's hard enough for U.S. authorities to retrieve expunged records.  Imagine how difficult this would be for authorities in foreign countries.

I think it's Canada that won't let U.S. citizens in if there's a conviction for DUI, DWI, or similar (others can confirm or correct this).  An expunged misdemeanor arrest from 9 years ago would almost certainly be beyond their capability to research.

If you have a U.S. passport with at least 6 months of validity left on it, you can travel just about anywhere, of course keeping in mind any lengths of stay or work permits required by other countries.  I wouldn't worry about your arrest.

I don't have a DUI/dwi or anything like that. I appreciate the advice, but I find it hard to believe. I wanted to go to countries like Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Bosnia, Hungary, etc. and they're supposed to honor an expunged arrest from 9 years ago? Ok

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Rolloofthenorm said:

I don't have a DUI/dwi or anything like that. I appreciate the advice, but I find it hard to believe. I wanted to go to countries like Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Bosnia, Hungary, etc. and they're supposed to honor an expunged arrest from 9 years ago? Ok

Everyone of those Countries has its own regulations on who can visit and what effect a criminal history will have, I doubt something being expunged has any effect, it certainly would not if you were not a USC and wished to visit the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 hours ago, Boiler said:

Everyone of those Countries has its own regulations on who can visit and what effect a criminal history will have, I doubt something being expunged has any effect, it certainly would not if you were not a USC and wished to visit the US.

Ok, but I'm a US citizen not trying to go to the US cause I'm already a US citizen. As I said I don't believe those countries I listed is going to honor an expunged charge. 

42 minutes ago, Rolloofthenorm said:

Ok, but I'm a US citizen not trying to go to the US cause I'm already a US citizen. As I said I don't believe those countries I listed is going to honor an expunged charge. 

Each country has their own requirements; you can usually visit the country's website/their diplomatic mission's website to learn about entry requirements.  

For example, this is the information for Canada: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/inadmissibility-interdiction-eng.html

You will need to look up for each country you want to visitl

2 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Each country has their own requirements; you can usually visit the country's website/their diplomatic mission's website to learn about entry requirements.  

For example, this is the information for Canada: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/inadmissibility-interdiction-eng.html

You will need to look up for each country you want to visitl

I don't see how this is suppose to help. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, Rolloofthenorm said:

Seems unlikely

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The lingering question in my mind is how another country would or could know about a misdemeanor from 9 years ago, and expunged on top of that.  If you had to apply for a visa to enter or to stay for a long time, you might have to report it, but if you can simply enter for a stay that's shorter than 90 or 120 or 180 days, the entry personnel probably won't even ask.

Regardless, researching the entry requirements of your countries of choice is sound advice.  You might even contact the U.S. Citizen units of the U.S. consulates in those countries to gain their feedback.

---

Just today, I found this online article, which is good for everyone to read:

The 1 Big Mistake You Should Never, Ever Make With Your Passport

[...] "A lot of us just think we need a valid passport to travel the world beyond our borders, but what many people don't realize [is] that a current passport alone might not be enough," said Katy Nastro, a spokesperson for the flight alert service Going.

Indeed, many countries require your passport to have a certain duration of validity remaining beyond the intended dates of your trip.  The most common lengths are three and six months past the date you fly back to the U.S.  [...]

Continues:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/1-big-mistake-never-ever-111603933.html

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).