nullaccount

Visiting fiance between filing DS160 and interview allowed?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cathi said:

Most people are NOT refused entry, especially coming from the UK.

OP, this person's answer is not accurate and to be honest, it's a bit over dramatic.

No, i think you're not reading my comment correctly, or misunderstood my meaning.

My comment CLEARLY says that "i have NOT found many stories from people who got denied entry".... 

The part you may refer to as 'dramatic', is the advise i got from my attorney and just passed on to someone who may include the thought in making their decision, which is theirs alone to make. As also stated in the end of my comment.

How about we don't belittle other people or their comments on this forum? We are all here to help each other. 

I-129F - 2023, September 28

NOA1 - 2023, October 2

NOA2 - 2024, March 29

NVC Case# - 2024, April 19

Consulate Received - 2024, April 25

DS-160+$$ - 2024, May 14

P3 & P4 received - 2024, May 16

Interview - 2024, July 12

To be continued...

💖

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Rosaly said:

No, i think you're not reading my comment correctly, or misunderstood my meaning.

My comment CLEARLY says that "i have NOT found many stories from people who got denied entry".... 

The part you may refer to as 'dramatic', is the advise i got from my attorney and just passed on to someone who may include the thought in making their decision, which is theirs alone to make. As also stated in the end of my comment.

How about we don't belittle other people or their comments on this forum? We are all here to help each other. 

If you go against years of lived experience of people who have actually gone through the process then you are likely to be questioned about it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If you go against years of lived experience of people who have actually gone through the process then you are likely to be questioned about it.

...because i am not going through the process right now, with an attorney who is specialized in these cases.

Okay.

NOA1 - 2023, October 2

NOA2 - 2024, March 29

DS-160+$$ - 2024, May 14

To be continued...

💖

Timeline
1 minute ago, Rosaly said:

...because i am not going through the process right now, with an attorney who is specialized in these cases.

Okay.

So what is the reasoning behind the Attorneys comments, presumably they had a reason for making such a comment?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So what is the reasoning behind the Attorneys comments, presumably they had a reason for making such a comment?

My attorney told me that Yes, you are allowed to visit at any time in the entire process as long as you have the ESTA, but he advised against it. He explaind this is because there's a whole history of people getting into the states and then staying while they actually aren't allowed to do so yet.

He gave a whole bunch of details for people to be denied, such as them having no jobs in home country, or no house/permanent place to live, having overstayed the 90 days in the past, secretly had jobs in the states while not having a work visa or permit, not having any family or close family bonds in home country or any reason they couldn't proof for that matter, that they would be returning to their homecountry after their intended trip.
He also told me, this is country specific in most cases and that it also depends a great deal on the judgement of the officer at customs. Evidently so, People from trusted countries have been denied entry far less than people from countries with, what he said, had a high risk rate of abuse of any kind of visa issued.

This happens so much that officers have become more suspicious when you want to enter the US while they can clearly see you applied for a permanent visa, or at least one that gets you in the process of staying permanently.

I myself am from the netherlands. As far as i know thats a trusted country. After consulting my attorney, i also checked any information on US Goverment website and travel websites. Which all say to expect more scrutiny and be ready to provide proof of returning to home country, with examples of said proof.
I have never overstayed my welcome, never worked in the states, never used my ESTA for anything other than normal vacation trips to my fiancé, always spoke the truth while talking with the officers, and could proof i work and have a house here in the netherlands. I made 1 trip after filing the Petition in september last year, which went smoothly, Although while standing in line at customs i nearly had a nervous breakdown. I indeed collected evidence of everything i could think of in case they would take me to secundary. this never happened, Officer was friendly welcomed me to the states and wished me a pleasant stay without even opening my passport...🥴 So fair to say all my worries were for nothing.

Even in the phase of the process i am in now: Consulate ready to plan my interview, gathering missing documents, DS160 etc.. i think i would be low risk because my situation has not changed, but i still wont do it. Especially with the possibility of finally being together being so close. :) 

Now, The reason i advised OP against it was based on this coversation with my attorney and my personal decision on the matter, in this very phase of the process. A decision i made with all of the above in mind.

I have tried to expain shortly, but given all the messages with disagreements... maybe worded wrong? Needed more info?🤔

OP still will make this decision for themselves regardless of my personal decision. It not relevant, even. i merely wanted to help.

To be fair, the little extra info i could have included: the bond and contact with my family is strained because i plan to move to the states to live with my fiancé...

They dont agree with the relationship either and told me to choose, my fiancé or them. An unfair ultimatum if you ask me, and i feel that could be a big deal to any officer at customs, trusted country or not.

(sidenote: this is also my one and only worry for the upcoming interview... how am i going to explain this and is it considered a red flag? Different topic, i dont need an answer on this in OPs topic.)

When i wrote my comment on OPs Question, i didn't think i had to include things from my personal life or refer to my attorney and his advise, let alone the essay it now has become 😂

NOA1 - 2023, October 2

NOA2 - 2024, March 29

DS-160+$$ - 2024, May 14

To be continued...

💖

Timeline

The people who have had problems, well all the ones I recollect there have been reasons, for example multiple long visits.

This was my original comment.

If you overstayed 90 days then you are no longer eligible to use the VWP and a B is not likely to happen.

I have no reason to believe that the OP does not have a normal visiting history, not worked illegally etc. Now if you are amongst the tiny percentage that do that is different conversation.

Obviously I visited without an issue and here are 154 pages of other peoples experiences.

Guys it was literally a question about whether I could still visit the US even after filing the DS160 and booking an interview as those details would then be incorrect. This has nothing to do with me being denied at the border. I know I would be let through.

I have an ESTA, I am a teacher so I don't work in my holidays and visited 3 times with ample time in between each visit with no issues in this process. In fact, last time I went, the officer even joked saying I was 'the gift' after he asked if I brought any gifts for my fiance and I said no :D

I found inconclusive answers (not a substantial amount of personal experiences) of people travelling in between DS160 submission and their interview to make me feel comfortable risking it, so we have decided against it and will wait the 5 months.

If we are desperate we will try and do a visit in the UK but money is tight with immigration, a pricey move and multiple wedding ceremonies pending ha!

Timeline
34 minutes ago, nullaccount said:

Guys it was literally a question about whether I could still visit the US even after filing the DS160 and booking an interview as those details would then be incorrect. This has nothing to do with me being denied at the border. I know I would be let through.

I have an ESTA, I am a teacher so I don't work in my holidays and visited 3 times with ample time in between each visit with no issues in this process. In fact, last time I went, the officer even joked saying I was 'the gift' after he asked if I brought any gifts for my fiance and I said no :D

I found inconclusive answers (not a substantial amount of personal experiences) of people travelling in between DS160 submission and their interview to make me feel comfortable risking it, so we have decided against it and will wait the 5 months.

If we are desperate we will try and do a visit in the UK but money is tight with immigration, a pricey move and multiple wedding ceremonies pending ha!

You can visit if you want to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
47 minutes ago, nullaccount said:

To be perfectly clear, there is NO issue in traveling after the DS-160 is submitted.  Good luck on the rest of your journey.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, nullaccount said:

Yes, my now-husband even came to visit me in the US after having his interview but before using his K1. No one even asked him about the K1.  

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry a little late to reply to this, but I just visited my fiancee between the ds-160 and the interview. Security only asked me two questions and they were where did we meet and what was my job. It had been 6 months since the last visit though and and it was just a two week visit for her birthday. Hope you get it sorted. I was really anxious about it too thinking I'd be getting asked a lot of questions. I guess it can depend on the border control officer though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.