Alison74

Immigration to US with US parent-non-US minor children: visa process/time line (legal entry to and live in US while visa is pending?)

27 posts in this topic

manyfudge, your knowledge and input hugely appreciated, thanks. So go all in via n 600 k by choosing a statistically fast field office (Charleston currently at 2.5 months). If that doesn't work out before 18th birthday, we'd still have the green card option - possibly no US citizenship then, for my son at least. Would you or anyone know whether the USCIS offices accept internationally issued birth/marriage certificates (German authorities issue these upon request), rather than getting certified translations? Since I have those already, I could fire off sooner.

Kids were issued ESTA last year, I hear it's valid for 2 years. And yes, lying never a good idea...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If everyone are US Citizens then there is no Immigration issue.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

"N-600K Complete Experience"= enlightening, detailed accounts, studied it thoroughly. Again I have to say how valuable this forum is with people sharing their knowledge and experiences. Before I signed up, I paid money to be connected with an immigration lawyer in SF, was basically telling me the same as in this forum, except he said you couldn't choose the field office yourself for the interview. Which is dftly wrong. 

I don't have my father's Social Security records and it doesn't seem straightforward to obtain. 

What I do have to be included in the n600k application (in relation to my father):

-valid US passport

-US birth cert.

-military records, incl. statement of personal history (listing details from kindergarden through university incl.residential addresses)

-transcript of academic record

Could you please confirm this is strong enough evidence for the physical requirements, the military records are really unquestionable (slightly paranoid though I might oversee sth). So glad he kept all that in an old bag. 

After more research in the forum, it seems to be the case that there are some field offices demanding presence of grandparent (whose records are vital) at the interview, some offices don't. My father is very frail, physically restricted and increasingly demented, I don't think he would make that journey. Would the USCIS easily accept a medical record stating that if the office required grandparent presence?

Thanks for any advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Alison74 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.868ccdebe8579c5f68b7de777dc1b45a.jpeg

It's not automatic. You'll still have to petition the child again using form I-129F for K4 visa, and has to go through USCIS again for approval. Anyway, K4s are not readily been issued anymore, once the I-130 is approved USCIS will admistratively close the I-129F. 

4 hours ago, Alison74 said:

Would the USCIS easily accept a medical record stating that if the office required grandparent presence?

I would just get a letter from his doc now.  If they ask at the interview, present that.

Military records should be good.  SS records don’t prove physical presence.  I would think the military records are solid.

Do you have copies of his university/HS diploma? Also good.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I would like to provide an update. With the help of sound information from this forum, I was able to submit 2 complete online n-600-k applications on May 7th. On the same day, USCIS sent a receipt notice. On May 13th, I got this message: "We are actively reviewing your Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322. Our records showed nothing is outstanding at this time." And a little later on the same day: "Interview Was Scheduled".

It also says that USCIS will mail an interview notice. From what I could gather, it generally takes about 2 weeks to receive the written notice in the mail, and frequently the interview is scheduled about 1 month after the update of the scheduled interview. Do people share this experience, and is this interview date also provided earlier in the online documents?

Thanks again for your insights.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An unrelated post was split into its own topic in this forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.