Ahna

B2 visa and an American boyfriend.

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I think I recall reading on VJ about somebody trying to argue cat is a tie to home country... I don't think I agree it is a strong tie, however cruel it may sound.

Wonder if the OP have been bringing the cat with her?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP: Ultimately you need to figure out what you want to do with this relationship. Unfortunately you've lost your VWP privileges and I think a B2 is kind of iffy. I mean you can certainly pay the money and try, just don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. So that's why you need to consider a backup long term plan for the future. Your USC boyfriend can go visit you, and eventually you will need to decide if you want him to immigrate to you, or you to him. Your previous loss of VWP will not affect if you want to use a K1 fiancé visa or marriage visa. 

The immigration officers do not care if you have a cat even though I'm sure you love it very much. 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I think I recall reading on VJ about somebody trying to argue cat is a tie to home country... I don't think I agree it is a strong tie, however cruel it may sound.

It isn’t… I’ve seen people move countries and leave their pets behind because the cost of moving was 1.) too expensive and arduous and 2.) they could get another pet in the new country…

The amount of people who leave the pet in the care of a family member or friend is numerous… 

OP has already demonstrated she can leave the cat in the Netherlands for 3 months with no issues… so… not a strong tie. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I obviously second most of what everyone has said here, B2 might be challenging. Though I will say my wife (years before we met and got married) overstayed a tourist visa by like a week or so by accident (she was like 16 and didn't understand the i-94 stamp), she later applied for a new B2 visa and she was granted a 10 year B2 visa. 

Now, that is not necessarily to "give you hope", just saying that the overstay may not be the biggest issue the consulate will be looking at or potentially rejecting you for. So if you go into a B2 interview, yes you will have to explain the 1 day overstay, but the long trips, boyfriend, lack of ties to your home country will be much more examined -- so you are prepared. 

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and Online Reciept Notice: 2023-06-04 

NOA1 Recieved in Mail (with recieved date as 06-04-2023): 2023-06-10

4 minutes ago, garebear397 said:

I obviously second most of what everyone has said here, B2 might be challenging. Though I will say my wife (years before we met and got married) overstayed a tourist visa by like a week or so by accident (she was like 16 and didn't understand the i-94 stamp), she later applied for a new B2 visa and she was granted a 10 year B2 visa. 

Now, that is not necessarily to "give you hope", just saying that the overstay may not be the biggest issue the consulate will be looking at or potentially rejecting you for. So if you go into a B2 interview, yes you will have to explain the 1 day overstay, but the long trips, boyfriend, lack of ties to your home country will be much more examined -- so you are prepared. 

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I know i'm not in an ideal situation and I will do my best to improve it and prepare well :) Fingers crossed!!!

15 hours ago, Ahna said:

I'm from the Netherlands and I'm in a relationship with an American men for a year and nine months and he is the love of my life! And I was in the US for the past three months and when I boarded in Minneapolis two officers told me that I had been in the US one day too long on my esta. I was on my way back home!!  Like all the other times. We really checked and calculated the 90 days 30 times, and also with an online calculator. I booked a ticket for December 18 to March 17, and clearly that was 91 days. I have traveled to the US three times before and have always returned home. I just want to visit my boyfriend and travel with him in the US and he is the love of my life and we are serious and we really want to get married, but we want to take it slow. But the thought of losing him breaks both our hearts. We're both having a really hard time right now.  If we don’t find a solution for this we can’t see each other much, he works a lot. We are lucky that he can come to the netherlands three times this year. That was already planned before this situation. He visits me twice in the Netherlands last year and he comes back in June and december. 

My life in the Netherlands is so good, I have NO intention to stay in the us. I'm 43 and my dad is 78 and he has health problems, he had two small heart attack, one this year and one last year. So that's the reason my boyfriend is coming to the Netherlands this year. But I really want to visit him one time this year. I get money from the state because I got sick a while ago, and i'm much better now, but i'm not there yet. That means that I have an extremely good and cheap health insurance and my rent is really cheap. I don't want to move to the state for sure. I can't stay longer dan three months a year because I have to be in the Netherlands and I always have to fill out an online form for that company where I get my money from when I leave and when I return and I can't be in another country too much because if I do I lose everything. Then they say: you don't live in the Netherlands anymore so you don't get your money anymore. 

I read all over the internet that if you are in a relationship with an American your chance of getting a B2 visa is zero and that the interviews are very short, 3 min or so and that they don't look at documents. And a rejection is made in a second and you can go for a second time but if nothing has changed they reject you again. I am afraid to apply for a B2. 

Do have a chance to get a B2 visa? 

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards Anna

I don’t see is B2 happening anytime soon, with the trifecta of weak ties to home, US SO and ESTA abuse.

For $190ish, you can try your luck, but probably best to just have the bf visit.   

Others reading this thread should take note of the fact that 90 days means 90 days, and it is much smarter to avoid risking losing the ESTA forever by simple leaving a few days earlier.

8 hours ago, Ahna said:

I have a REALLY good travel insurance, and i'm older and my dad has health problems, and I have a 14 year old cat. I hope they will understand that I don't want to give up my save life in the netherlands. 

Hopefully you realize that elderly parent and cat are very weak ties.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.