1,242 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Demise said:

Name changes aren't available as a part of N-600 or US Passport Applications, or for minor child as a part of a parent's N-400.

If you need to change his name you'll have to file for that with a state court (which you know, how annoying it is depends on the state's requirements like publication).

The best way about this would be to file for that now, naturalize, and when you file for his US passport or N-600, include the name change order so they'll issue the document in a new name.

In either case Social Security will have to be notified of the name change on your own. The various health departments likely don't do it, and USCIS doesn't do it with an N-600, they just recently started offering that as an option on an N-400.

Easiest way is to just send in the original documentation (certified name change order, proof of citizenship) with an SS-5 for a new card.

Thank you @Demise

9 minutes ago, Shroy123 said:

You should be fine. You are getting citizenship based on vawa. Dont worry if you dont have your spouse immigration proof

@Shroy123 i had my interview today! There were no questions on providing proof for ex-spouse immigration. Looks like USCIS was able to look it up using their Alien number. Thank you for your help here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
45 minutes ago, sumank said:

i finished my N400 interview today, and officer gave me a letter saying i was approved.

Yee-HAAAAA!  :dance: 

[Note to T-B.'s self:  Jokes worked again... jokes worked again...  :P ]

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

10 hours ago, Salyyen said:

You made my day better so they might now asking about the abuse and the abusive it’s might something related to my name am I right 

possibly yes

10 hours ago, Salyyen said:

You made my day better so they might now asking about the abuse and the abusive it’s might something related to my name am I right 

possibly yes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Wednesday!  Time for our approval-evoking*, good-news-eliciting* Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke:

*that is, if correlation = causation

=============================================

THE WATCH SEARCH

One night, a man on his way home saw a drunk, who was down on his hands and knees searching for something under a streetlight.

The man asked the drunk what he was looking for.  The drunk said that he had tripped, and his Rolex wristwatch had broken loose from his wrist.  The man promptly got down on his hands and knees and began helping the drunk look for his watch.

After ten minutes and no success, the man asked the drunk exactly where he had tripped.

"About a half a block up the street," the drunk said.

"Why, then," the man asked the drunk, "are you looking for your watch here if you lost it a half a block up the street?"

The drunk replied, "The light is a lot better here."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 5/13/2024 at 10:43 AM, sumank said:

Bullet point on N400 interview notice says -  If you are applying for NATURALIZATION AS SPOUSE of a US citizen - Your spouse's birth, naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship 

Thank you!

You applying based on VAWA, not as spouse of a U.S.citizen.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
17 hours ago, sumank said:

Unfortunately I don’t have any proof

Same with me I have only the driver license and social security number moreover, during my 485 interview, I went to the state record and got his photo identification number, but right now his name is not appearing in the photo identification number

Timeline
13 hours ago, sumank said:

Hi everyone, i finished my N400 interview today, and officer gave me a letter saying i was approved. Now, eagerly waiting for online application status to reflect approval followed by oath ceremony invitation. No VAWA questions were asked. It was just questions on N400 form. The officer verified greencard, Drivers permit, tax returns for last 2 years. That was pretty much it. 

Being a survivor of abuse can take away a lot from your life. But please hang in there and always work for making a better life. Its not easy, but i believe it is worth the struggle. Hope you all find love and peace in your life ❤️

Congratulations on your success. I have a question that during the interview has the officer asked you about the status of your ex abuser since you mentioned in your last post that you don’t have any proof about his citizenship status.

Moreover has The officer asked you about the passport to show in the interview. The reason to this question is that my passport is expired, but all the other documents are valid and current.

Timeline
13 hours ago, sumank said:

@Shroy123 i had my interview today! There were no questions on providing proof for ex-spouse immigration. Looks like USCIS was able to look it up using their Alien number. Thank you for your help here.

Congratulation on your success do we have to download the tax return record from the IRS website and to produce it before the Visa Visa or the regular tax return i.e. 1040 is enough to produce it before the visa officer during citizenship interview.

2 hours ago, Braveheart123 said:

Congratulation on your success do we have to download the tax return record from the IRS website and to produce it before the Visa Visa or the regular tax return i.e. 1040 is enough to produce it before the visa officer during citizenship interview.

I got return record from IRS. 

8 hours ago, Braveheart123 said:

Congratulations on your success. I have a question that during the interview has the officer asked you about the status of your ex abuser since you mentioned in your last post that you don’t have any proof about his citizenship status.

Moreover has The officer asked you about the passport to show in the interview. The reason to this question is that my passport is expired, but all the other documents are valid and current.

No, officer did not ask about ex-spouse’s immigration status proof

i was not asked to show passport either. Just LPR Card, DL, tax statements 

9 hours ago, Braveheart123 said:

This information may help as well. With my N400 application, i requested USCIS to lookup ex-spouse's immigration status and provided ex-spouse's SSN, Alien Number, Fathers name, Mothers name, Place of Birth, Date of birth. Apparently officer was able to look up information and hence no questions were asked to me! i was actually so relieved that no questions related to VAWA or ex-spouse were asked! 🙏

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.