Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,217 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, WMBB said:

it seems their new norm these days is at least 10+ business days.  since your subject line clearly notes what your request is, I would hope they acknowledge such sooner.

Thanks for letting me know. I will wait and see.

39 minutes ago, WMBB said:

it seems their new norm these days is at least 10+ business days.  since your subject line clearly notes what your request is, I would hope they acknowledge such sooner.

Thanks for letting me know. I will wait and see.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Pending DS5535 said:

I read on Facebook 2 days ago, that all Iranian folks who are waiting for DS 5535 clearance, are filing a joint petition and they asked everyone to sign in, they have provided the link as well. 

Yes, so far it has garnered 700+ signatures from about 400 signatures 2 days ago.

Tomorrow 5th April will be 2 months since my case is in AP(Ds-5535) , I don't have any last case update date yet on CEAC and I am getting panic about this no case status update . I am going to email Islamabad  embassy (Pakistan) and I will ask them politely what <DELETED> is going on . I have also not receive any conformation email from  them about my Ds-5535(If they received it  and was it up to the standards and correct) .

I waited 3 years for my interview (yes for interview) and my category is IR-1......In short this whole Ds-5535 thing is <DELETED> , especially when millions of people illegally cross into US every year.

Edited by Crazy Cat

1 hour ago, Pending DS5535 said:

I read on Facebook 2 days ago, that all Iranian folks who are waiting for DS 5535 clearance, are filing a joint petition and they asked everyone to sign in, they have provided the link as well. 

I wish we could do the same for those who have interviewed at Montréal consulate 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

*** A comment has been edited by a Moderator to remove objectionable language.  Please post in accordance with VJ Terms of Service****

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 4/2/2024 at 4:07 PM, Superluminal said:

I just received a response from the consulate. It scared the hell out of me but after reading it again, it seems like it is in the standard response folks are getting when they have not completed the review. Did either @Daft_Cat or @WMBB get an email like this in the last few months?

"

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting us.

The consular officer, after carefully considering your application and reviewing all available information, determined you have not established that you are eligible for a visa and denied your visa application under INA 221(g).  Additional security screening is being conducted.  Depending on the screening results, a consular officer may reconsider your eligibility for the visa.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

The last email I sent was in January - it never got a response, but it did seem to trigger a flurry of updates (though I also had a WoM in play, so that complicates the interpretation of events a bit). The response they sent you is standard boiler plate - the language around visa denial and ineligibility is a new tactic used to fight legal challenges. 

I wouldn't overthink it. You've got to be at or near the top of the pile. Sometimes they respond to emails, sometimes they don't. The key differentiator will be when you start seeing successive, unprompted updates spaced 1-2 weeks apart. I bet it'll start happening soon!

Also, for those who asked about the DS-260, I received a follow-up email this morning asking me to update it and include a copy of the confirmation page with the materials I'm sending in. It was no sweat. The form had been re-opened on my CEAC portal and I just updated any info that was out of date. No additional fee was required. 

Edited by Daft_Cat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

The last email I sent was in January - it never got a response, but it did seem to trigger a flurry of updates (though I also had a WoM in play, so that complicates the interpretation of events a bit). The response they sent you is standard boiler plate - the language around visa denial and ineligibility is a new tactic used to fight legal challenges. 

I wouldn't overthink it. You've got to be at or near the top of the pile. Sometimes they respond to emails, sometimes they don't. The key differentiator will be when you start seeing successive, unprompted updates spaced 1-2 weeks apart. I bet it'll start happening soon!

Also, for those who asked about the DS-260, I received a follow-up email this morning asking me to update it and include a copy of the confirmation page with the materials I'm sending in. It was no sweat. The form had been re-opened on my CEAC portal and I just updated any info that was out of date. No additional fee was required. 

same went for me as well, I had to update my DS-260 online, and them submit to them the confirmation page, along with my passport, new photos and new police certificate (aside from the new medical that was emailed).

1 hour ago, brkendream said:

Tomorrow 5th April will be 2 months since my case is in AP(Ds-5535) , I don't have any last case update date yet on CEAC and I am getting panic about this no case status update . I am going to email Islamabad  embassy (Pakistan) and I will ask them politely what <DELETED> is going on . I have also not receive any conformation email from  them about my Ds-5535(If they received it  and was it up to the standards and correct) .

I waited 3 years for my interview (yes for interview) and my category is IR-1......In short this whole Ds-5535 thing is <DELETED> , especially when millions of people illegally cross into US every year.

I am seeing on other forums about spouses of USC filing for AOS even when they arrive on a tourist visa or ESTA, and get their I-130 and I-485 both approved within 3 months.

The legal immigration process is truly broken, and the ones who stick to the proper channels (like you) are the ones that end up paying the price.

Edited by AP_since_May2023

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

1 hour ago, AP_since_May2023 said:

I am seeing on other forums about spouses of USC filing for AOS even when they arrive on a tourist visa or ESTA, and get their I-130 and I-485 both approved within 3 months.

The legal immigration process is truly broken, and the ones who stick to the proper channels (like you) are the ones that end up paying the price.

This is so frustrated ...... I live in a village , so I have society pressure equals Mount Everest on me....Let me tell you all a story ,  2 brothers from my area(3 villages apart) entered US illegally in 2019 and they both visited Pakistan in last few months (with Green card ) Yes illegal got the documents in 4 years and I am waiting for my Ds-5535 , waited 3 years for interview , There father was one of the guest in my wedding in 2016 ..... 

Come on man........ This is just too much . .. People reading this post with village background (especially India Pakistan) can understand what this means for me and my family. 

I fully agree with you , people applying throw legal channels are being affected the most. I waited almost 8 years just to get a visa under Ir-1 category . ........ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Folks I understand the need to share your feelings and frustrations. That is what this thread is for, but this is a Montreal Only thread. I understand sharing information and gathering information with others. That is helpful, but do not derail this thread with discussing other countries AP(they have a thread), AOS'ing(there's a forum for that) and illegal actions of others(against the TOS). It is slippery slope we do not want to go down.  Canada has its own forum for a reason. No other country has been down the crazy rules road Montreal has paved.  

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 hours ago, DadofUSCitizen said:

On 3/25 I requested my passport back via email to Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov and typed  “Passport Return – (my case number)” in the subject line as instructed in the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal Immigrant Visa Navigator. Except for the standard auto reply within 1 minute, so far I have not received any feedback from the consulate. Can anyone here ever requested passport back shed some light to me? Is this normal? How much longer should I wait until hearing something from them? TYIA.

Follow up with the same email you originally sent. They responded within 2 hours(to my follow up email) saying they have returned the passport, and followed by the tracking number from courier agency. Received my passport day after this.

Clearly they ignored my request the first time...

Timeline
7 hours ago, BramptonDesi said:

Follow up with the same email you originally sent. They responded within 2 hours(to my follow up email) saying they have returned the passport, and followed by the tracking number from courier agency. Received my passport day after this.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what will happen to mine.

Timeline
10 hours ago, BramptonDesi said:

Did you notice a status update around the time when they returned your passport? I saw one on mine yesterday and I am not sure if it is related to my passport-return request.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.