Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,217 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I just received a response from the consulate. It scared the hell out of me but after reading it again, it seems like it is in the standard response folks are getting when they have not completed the review. Did either @Daft_Cat or @WMBB get an email like this in the last few months?

"

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting us.

The consular officer, after carefully considering your application and reviewing all available information, determined you have not established that you are eligible for a visa and denied your visa application under INA 221(g).  Additional security screening is being conducted.  Depending on the screening results, a consular officer may reconsider your eligibility for the visa.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

Yeah that’s the “new” standard response. Someone here posted this same response a few weeks ago

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I just received a response from the consulate. It scared the hell out of me but after reading it again, it seems like it is in the standard response folks are getting when they have not completed the review. Did either @Daft_Cat or @WMBB get an email like this in the last few months?

"

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting us.

The consular officer, after carefully considering your application and reviewing all available information, determined you have not established that you are eligible for a visa and denied your visa application under INA 221(g).  Additional security screening is being conducted.  Depending on the screening results, a consular officer may reconsider your eligibility for the visa.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

I did not receive this, as they had only requested a list to what I needed to since provide.  However, I have also heard that this is their new standard wording for cases that are still under review.

Timeline

All the positive news in the forum is making me feel hopeful. The government has until the end of the week to respond to my WOM. Hoping for some positive news. My lawyer has a call scheduled with the US attorney this week. Another WOM being handled by my lawyer recently got approved two weeks ago. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, LYV said:

I think you somehow deleted the link in Part 2. 

I merged a new topic from @Cholte cholte (posted in the Canada forum) into this existing thread (Part 3).  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, LYV said:

I'm not sure. If you got to the end of Part 2 the link to Part 3 is deleted. So might be confusing for some folks trying to find this thread. 

I see what you mean. I'm not sure how that happened.  

Fixed the missing link.....Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 hours ago, tdot2nj said:

All the positive news in the forum is making me feel hopeful. The government has until the end of the week to respond to my WOM. Hoping for some positive news. My lawyer has a call scheduled with the US attorney this week. Another WOM being handled by my lawyer recently got approved two weeks ago. 

If you don't mind telling your lawyer name and cost of the wom. Thanks a lot

Timeline

I'm not sure who keeps marking Daft_Cat as completed (highlighted green) in our tracker spreadsheet. Until they have their Visa in hand they are still working through the process.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

On 4/2/2024 at 3:42 PM, WMBB said:

Thank You.  We filed WOM in mid-Feb 2023 and it was concluded around March 31, successfully, followed by the request to resend passport and do another medical.  This was then paused as my F2A priority date retrogressed.  I am now a IR1, as my husband applied for citizenship (it took him only 6 months from start to finish - March 1 he was sworn in).  I emailed the consulate a few times this March of the visa classification status change, only to then have our congressman do the same to initiate the change.  Emailed them on March 1, 7 and 14 with proof, only for them to email back confirmation on March 18.  I am hoping they will acknowledge my documents soon, as this wait has been agonizing to say the least, as you all can relate.  

Thanks for sharing your story so far with us. Really hope you get to enjoy this part of the journey now, the excitement and all that goes with it!! Keep us updated which I’m sure you’ll do. Wishing you all the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I'm absolutely floooooored how it seems visa processing has stopped for K1's and IR1's it seems under 221(G) / DS-5535 cases that have been submitted. What possible reason could there be for such a delay?! its time to start cases again. Its been ELEVEN MONTHS for my fiance and we havent heard a thing. What possible reason could there be at this point

Edited by Inveigh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Inveigh said:

I'm absolutely floooooored how it seems visa processing has stopped for K1's and IR1's it seems under 221(G) / DS-5535 cases that have been submitted. What possible reason could there be for such a delay?! its time to start cases again. Its been ELEVEN MONTHS for my fiance and we havent heard a thing. What possible reason could there be at this point

Part of me wants to believe that this will all result in a bunch of cases being approved at once but I dont know if im deluding myself or if this process is so broken that this is just a result of somebody breaking something and now nobodys cases are being processed.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline

On 3/25 I requested my passport back via email to Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov and typed  “Passport Return – (my case number)” in the subject line as instructed in the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal Immigrant Visa Navigator. Except for the standard auto reply within 1 minute, so far I have not received any feedback from the consulate. Can anyone here ever requested passport back shed some light to me? Is this normal? How much longer should I wait until hearing something from them? TYIA.

Timeline
1 hour ago, DadofUSCitizen said:

On 3/25 I requested my passport back via email to Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov and typed  “Passport Return – (my case number)” in the subject line as instructed in the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal Immigrant Visa Navigator. Except for the standard auto reply within 1 minute, so far I have not received any feedback from the consulate. Can anyone here ever requested passport back shed some light to me? Is this normal? How much longer should I wait until hearing something from them? TYIA.

it seems their new norm these days is at least 10+ business days.  since your subject line clearly notes what your request is, I would hope they acknowledge such sooner.

3 hours ago, Inveigh said:

Part of me wants to believe that this will all result in a bunch of cases being approved at once but I dont know if im deluding myself or if this process is so broken that this is just a result of somebody breaking something and now nobodys cases are being processed.

I read on Facebook 2 days ago, that all Iranian folks who are waiting for DS 5535 clearance, are filing a joint petition and they asked everyone to sign in, they have provided the link as well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.