Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,224 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

Hi everyone, 

Some good news on my end: I got an email from the consulate today requesting my passport and a new medical. 

Thanks to everyone that reached out with their support and I hope my approval is encouragement to others that are still waiting! Hopefully this is a sign that things are moving again.

That is great news. Congratulations! 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-5 Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

Hi everyone, 

Some good news on my end: I got an email from the consulate today requesting my passport and a new medical. 

Thanks to everyone that reached out with their support and I hope my approval is encouragement to others that are still waiting! Hopefully this is a sign that things are moving again.

Congratulations! Let's hope things for us all will also start moving again.

11 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

Hi everyone, 

Congratulations! Let's hope things for us all will also start moving again.

1 hour ago, Daft_Cat said:

Hi everyone, 

WOOOOO!!! Congrats!!! About dang time! 

I'm hoping others get their good news soon 🙏🏼

For us, not having been asked a 5535, we're beyond annoyed that it's trending to taking as long as those who were asked a 5535, since my understanding was that it "should be faster". AP is AP. Just thankful that people are getting approvals again! 

• Crazy Cat changed the title to The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

****New topic for MTL DS-5535 merged into existing thread***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, Daft_Cat said:

Hi everyone, 

Hi everyone, 

Congratulations!! Finally your wait & ordeal is over! Wishing you many happy days ahead & to be reunited with your beloved ones

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know how long mail sent to the mail center takes to be transferred to the consulate?  Is it once a week or something?  And then when it arrives at the consulate, is it further sorted, filed and assigned for review?  I’m baffled as to why it is taking 8 weeks if not longer to review one simple document.  

Edited by WMBB

Hi everyone, 

Congrats!

Did consulate ask you to update DS-260 form and submit 2023 tax returns if you have not submitted them already?

What happen to your WOM?

Edited by Leo The Great

Timeline
On 2/21/2024 at 3:28 PM, Superluminal said:

I second this piece of advice. I have found land travel to the US much more difficult than air travel, which I attribute to the fact that I always have a return flight to Canada booked. Hard to prove when you will return if you are driving in and out of the country.

For the new folks worried about travelling while under DS-5535: I'm actually writing this at Pearson on my way to see my wife in the US after clearing customs. I have gone back an forth over a dozen times without too much difficulty. Be honest your current status if they ask you questions about your immigrant intent. Try and have several reasons you will return back to Canada (i.e. flight back, work, medical appointments) with supporting evidence. 9 times of out 10 they don't ask but it pays to be prepared if they do.

Hi @Superluminal,

I have travelled couple of times without any issues but stayed around 181 days in last 8 months which is also the limit of stay as a Canadian citizen. 

Can I travel to USA now to visit family ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Daft_Cat said:

They definitely will. No doubt there.

For the poster who asked: My interview was Feb, 2023. Filed a WoM in September of 2023, received 2 extension requests over the subsequent months, and then finally got hit with a Motion to Dismiss in Jan, 2024. We decided to fight it, and were eagerly awaiting the State Department's deadline to respond in early April. There'd been a number of unsolicited case updates on my file since mid-Jan, so we knew something was afoot. 

As for what got us over the hump, tough to say! Was the upcoming MtD deadline the catalyst? Could be, but then again, it's also possible that I was simply next in line. We'd been waiting a long time, so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into our unique sequence of events. 

Congratulations first!!

For reason over the hump, I am prone to believing that WOM working rather than security check cleared. Nowdays big data time,DS-5535 clears in 1 hour ,as  4 or 5+ times updates shown on CEAC status tracker after it was submitted. 

As to SAO, security advisoy opinion is just a reference, CO/VO  has his/her own decision.

31 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

Congrats!

Did consulate ask you to update DS-260 form and submit 2023 tax returns if you have not submitted them already?

What happen to your WOM?

Nothing like that! At least not yet. The email phrasing was that they’re “ready to move forward with my application,” which hopefully means they aren’t going back to square one on the DS-260, which was a headache the first time around. The required docs were my medical, my passport, and two new passport photos.

We fought the MTD and the US Attorney has until early April to respond. My guess is their response will indicate they’re moving forward with my visa and that the suit is now without cause.

Edited by Daft_Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.