Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,216 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Loveiskey said:

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten any success with asking their passport back?

I was told to email canada.visas@gdit.css (or some email like so, can't remember off the top of my head) and all they sent me as a response were my pickup location before the interview happened and instructions on how to change that to get it mailed to my address. I don't actually know if this means I'll get it back. Anyone have success with this or know what I should do instead?

If your decision is to have your passport returned without an immigrant visa at this time, please email us using this email address(Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov) with “Passport Return – YOURCASENUMBER” in the subject line. The passport will then be returned to you by courier services to a Canada Post office of your choice. In order to select a Canada Post office location and to track the return of your passport please contact the Official U.S. Department of State Visa Appointment Service using the contact details here https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-CA/iv/information/contact_us 

NOTE: Your passport will be mailed out only after we receive your confirmation that you want it returned without the immigrant visa

I received in 3 days after i sent them email, also depends where you requested to have it returned. In my case i paid for delivery at my home, as i dont live near major city. 

Edited by BramptonDesi

20 minutes ago, Inveigh said:

I thought for some other cases they were solved at a faster pace like F1/J1 vs K1/CR-1.

I also heard it was nationality dependent for the quickness of completion

True - F1/J1 are non-immigrant cases. These cases have been processing via  National Vetting Center since October 2022 which is more efficient than KFE vetting system that is used to process immigrant and K1 visas (as per Declaration of Carson Wu)

It depends on nationality and the number of DS-5535 served at that consulate. Looks like specialized analysts are allocated per region and has expertise  in security clearance of that region.

Edited by Leo The Great

4 hours ago, f31fromhell said:

Sharing my details in case anyone's in a similar boat:

F31 class visa (Married son or daughter of U.S. citizen). My grandparent sponsored my parent sometime between 2006-2010. I'm the only derivative applicant on the case. I'm nearing 30 years old now. Parent and I are Canadian citizens. 

Lots happened between then and now; our case creation date is July 2021. We got DQ'd in Aug 2023 and had our interview in Nov 20 2023. At the end of the interview, we were given back our passports along with the DS-5535. Just needed to complete the form asking for 15 years of travel history, etc, which we submitted 2 days later. 

Our case has been updated once since then about 40 days ago and otherwise haven't heard anything else back since. Still showing refused. From seeing estimates here and the examples on the spreadsheet, I'm not expecting anything remotely positive or quick. I know I've seen those from May 2023 interviews still waiting to hear back. Just curious if anyone has any guesses what the impact of our visa class will be on this if anything? I'd imagine being such a low priority class doesn't help, but curious if anyone has any anecdotal experience with this class. \

Any reason of why you were given DS5535? Middle eastern background, dual citizenship, history of travel, tal work field? Also 

3 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

What is your consulate?  Once you had an interview and severed with DS-5535, priority of your case does not matter. Your DS-5535 will resolved just like any other cases (CR1/IR1 etc.) by DC office. 

Montreal 💔 

2 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

True - F1/J1 are non-immigrant cases. These cases have been processing via  National Vetting Center since October 2022 which is more efficient than KFE vetting system that is used to process immigrant and K1 visas (as per Declaration of Carson Wu)

It depends on nationality and the number of DS-5535 served at that consulate. Looks like specialized analysts are allocated per region and has expertise  in security clearance of that region.

Hmm so being F31 specifically doesn't make it any worse? You're just in a better place if you're F1 or J1 but otherwise, at least based on visa case, the rest are in the same boat?

1 minute ago, dj222 said:

Any reason of why you were given DS5535? Middle eastern background, dual citizenship, history of travel, tal work field? Also 

Weren't given a specific reason by the officer (something along the lines of "additional vetting needed") but we are from a middle eastern background so that's what I assumed was the reasoning based on other cases I've seen here. 

On 3/7/2024 at 3:51 PM, ak47 said:

Has anybody here received a reply from Montreal embassy in last 25 days ?

It's been over a month for me and still didn't get a response for my email.

Looks like they are not responding to emails now.

Just wanted to follow up that we just received a reply (super generic). 

Around 9 business days from sending the email. 

We send one per month, at this rate. 

Timeline

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my feedback on my recent experience with the AP process for those who had their interview in Montreal.

I had my interview on Jan 22, got verbal approval, but had to wait for medical results (received Jan 24). 

My status remained as 'REFUSED' for about seven weeks before finally being issued yesterday on March 15, with a few updates along the way (mostly as a result of my emails).

We may never know if these actions helped, but for those in Administrative Processing (AP) after their interview, I recommend trying the following:

1. Email with subject "ATTN: IV UNIT SUPERVISOR" and your case number (email: montreal-iv-dv@state.gov). We sent this email on March 6 and the next day our CEAC was updated without the usual confirmation email, which maybe indicates that someone actually did something to our file.

2/ Try reaching out to your congressman. We contacted them last Friday (March 8 and got approved within a week (March 15). It likely had an impact. 

Edited by TeamSariff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, TeamSariff said:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my feedback on my recent experience with the AP process for those who had their interview in Montreal.

I had my interview on Jan 22, got verbal approval, but had to wait for medical results (received Jan 24). 

My status remained as 'REFUSED' for about seven weeks before finally being issued yesterday on March 15, with a few updates along the way (mostly as a result of my emails).

We may never know if these actions helped, but for those in Administrative Processing (AP) after their interview, I recommend trying the following:

1. Email with subject "ATTN: IV UNIT SUPERVISOR" and your case number (email: montreal-iv-dv@state.gov). We sent this email on March 6 and the next day our CEAC was updated without the usual confirmation email, which maybe indicates that someone actually did something to our file.

2/ Try reaching out to your congressman. We contacted them last Friday (March 8 and got approved within a week (March 15). It likely had an impact. 

All cases go through some form of Administrative Processing.  Did you have a DS-5535? 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
34 minutes ago, TeamSariff said:

Hi everyone,

Sounds as if in your case the refusal was simply given due to the missing medical results (not as a result of INA 221(g) refusal with the requisite DS-5535 submission), and that once medicals were received and approved, the visa was adjudicated.

The Congressional Inquiries (two done in my case so far), have very little impact for those of us in AP due Security Advisory Opinion (SAO) review, commonly called "security clearance," "administrative clearance," or "administrative processing," refusals.

Timeline
40 minutes ago, MTLaffectee said:

Is there a way we can find out how many 221(g) rejections Montreal is giving out? Like do they keep and share any statistics? 

I highly doubt there’s immediate visibility (internet search) to the general public on any of that.  Perhaps a Public Records Request to the DOS/NVC or maybe an immigration lawyer might be able to assist 

Timeline

Hi all you lovely people,

I have been on this forum for awhile but don’t say much.  However I think it’s time I share my story.

DQ October 2021.  I was a F2A at the time, as husband was only a permanent resident to the US.

Requested expedited interview in May 2022 as husband had a heart attack at age 48!  He had surgery, was hospitalized in ICU and required post care.  Montreal denied the request.  So if a heart attack is not reason enough to expedite I don’t know what is.

September 2022 husbands dog passed away under my watch.  The separation/heartbreak could have been avoided had we had interview in May 2022 and then been all together.

Interview was November 2022.  Subjected to DS-5355.  I am a Canadian citizen and a clean record.  Was told I was randomly selected.

December 2022 ironically I was RENEWED for my Nexus!

End of Feb 2023 issued a WOM.  At end of March Montreal finished review and asked for me to do another medical (would expire on Apr 4) and submit passport to finalize.

I sent passport back same day notified and booked another medical for next day.  A few hours of their initial email they sent me another email telling me to disregard.  Because I was a F2A my priority date had just retrogressed so they could not process until current.  It was current at time of interview and at WOM filing.

Here we are today March 2024!  My priority date is still not current.  Current date is Aug 2020 and I’m April 2021.

However, husband just became US citizen.  Yah!  Therefore I’m not subject to a priority date.  We have emailed Montreal a copy of naturalization certificate and US passport.  10 business days have gone by and no response!  The subject line could not be any clearer F2A to IR1 upgrade.

No response to our lawyer either.  Had congressman follow up and they got a response!  It was noted that I was a F2A therefore priority date still not current.  Congressman only inquired and not did inform them of the status upgrade like we asked.  Clearly Montreal did not acknowledge our email with the upgrade request!  

Beyond frustrated at this point.  I was told at time of retrogression I would need to only resubmit another medical, passport, photos and police certificate.  Now waiting Montreal to acknowledge such and put me back in the line.

we are also a LGBTQ couple, not that should matter.  

I feel for all of you in your situations.  Just letting you know you’re not alone!  I get the need for added security reviews, but there’s got to be a point where it becomes too excessive.

Even after all this time, and as draining as this is, I do remain as optimistic as I can!

Thus has been my journey so far…

Edited by WMBB

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.