Ani2

Applying for citizenship

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering if someone had a similar situation. So after divorcing from my ex, I fell under the 5 year rule for neutralization. According to it, I would be able to apply in June this year. I was traveling internationally the past years since I moved to the US. In total I spent 5 months outside the US. I saw an article that the time spent outside the US can’t be included. Does that mean I can’t apply before November? Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Out of the 5 years you need to have been present in the US for at least 30 months, with no single trip longer than 6 months. 5 months total outside the US is no issue whatsoever. You also need to have lived at least 3 months in the state where you file, that's about it.

30 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Out of the 5 years you need to have been present in the US for at least 30 months, with no single trip longer than 6 months. 5 months total outside the US is no issue whatsoever. You also need to have lived at least 3 months in the state where you file, that's about it.

Gotcha. Thanks you so much for clarifying

1. Please apply for naturalization (N-400). Neutralization sounds scary.

2. If you only spent 5 months outside of the US in the last 5 years, you're good. Nothing to worry about. You can file 90 days before your 5 year anniversary of Resident Since date. Make sure you paid taxes in the last 5 years, didn't have any crimes etc which would disqualify you based on good moral character requirement.

Edited by OldUser

7 minutes ago, OldUser said:

1. Please apply for naturalization (N-400). Neutralization sounds scary.

2. If you only spent 5 months outside of the US in the last 5 years, you're good. Nothing to worry about. You can file 90 days before your 5 year anniversary of Resident Since date. Make sure you paid taxes in the last 5 years, didn't have any crimes etc which would disqualify you based on good moral character requirement.

Sounds good. Thank you

On 3/20/2024 at 11:48 AM, Ani2 said:

Gotcha. Thanks you so much for clarifying

On 3/20/2024 at 11:17 AM, NorthByNorthwest said:

Is it safe to apply for naturalization while my I-751 waiver is still pending? 

16 hours ago, Ani2 said:

Is it safe to apply for naturalization while my I-751 waiver is still pending? 

I-751 has to be approved in order for N-400 to be approved.

It can be filed with I-751 pending.

Worst case, if I-751 is denied, N-400 is denied. You'd have to get conditions removed and then re-apply for N-400

On 3/23/2024 at 12:07 PM, OldUser said:

I-751 has to be approved in order for N-400 to be approved.

It can be filed with I-751 pending.

Worst case, if I-751 is denied, N-400 is denied. You'd have to get conditions removed and then re-apply for N-400

My I-751 is actually ready for an interview since June last year. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.