Kano in Manila

How does a US Citizen Marry a Filipina in the Philippines

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me out? I was going to wait on the K1 visa application but now I am considering just getting married in the Philippines. I am in Manila. I did not bring my birth certificate on this trip. I only have my passport and drivers license and ACR card. What are the logistics and timelines and options if I want to get married on this trip while I am here?

I have been researching this on my own but am just getting more and more confused. Sincere thanks in advance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was just looking at this yesterday and was told that you cannot get married in the philippines on a short trip. One person even used the words illegal. I think you have to go to the counseling, then register then wait 3 weeks to get a date from the judge. You also are supposed to have something called a capacity to marry certificate (I think that is what it is called) but since the US doesnt issue then you have to write an affidavit with the same info BUT you have to get an appointment at the embassy to have it notarized...and the appointments are at least a few weeks out unless you get lucky and someone cancels. 

One of the experts can jump in and clarify if I am wrong.

Good luck

The problem is that the Philippines is the land of inconsistency.  Every city in the whole country has subtle differences in what they require and they tend to change rules like every other week.  Anyone's previous experience would only be valid for comparison at the same place and time they did it.  The only way you could get an authoritative answer to what will be required is to go down to the Local Civil Records Office (LCRO) in the city or town where you actually intend to marry and ask them for a list of their local requirements.

Utah Online Marriages remains a good option too with considerably less red tape and a shorter time frame.  They are valid and recognized by both the US and Philippine governments.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A related question, I have the 129F in process, only just over 2 months worth. I’ve never given much thought to the ‘Utah online marriage’, but never know.

She and I are ready anytime, don’t mind before the end of the year for slight tax advantages. How would getting married change the 129F process? Would we start over with the other, married option? 

Again, just a question as we muddle through the long process. 

I'm going to assume you are in the US.

I got married after 18 days and could have gone faster if I wanted. You're going to need to have someone send you your birth certificate. I would think a friend or legal courier could do this for you. The municipality you are in MAY allow you to present a copy of it in which case someone can email it to you, and you can print it off of someone's computer.

Go to the embassy in Manila and get your Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry notarized (very important). You will need all divorce decree's and also certificates of any prior marriages. Your fiancée' will need a valid CENOMAR. She may need parental consent if she is under a certain age( I want to say its 24) and if the parents refuse there are forms for that. Some Municipality's you need counseling, some you don't. Go to the local registrar, apply for marriage and wait 10 weekdays. Then book the venue. Or book the venue months prior like I did. You would be wise to have your fiancée get a list of EXACTLY is required for a foreigner to marry a Filipino in her municipality. Be sure to send your marriage certificate to PSA, right away. I was lucky in the fact that I was able to have a lawyer sign my affidavit because it was still right after COVID. Hope this helped!

Marriage - U.S. Embassy in the Philippines (usembassy.gov)

Edited by Cirkul

6 hours ago, widude said:

How would getting married change the 129F process? Would we start over with the other, married option? 

It would kill the I29F and you would need to file a CR1.

19 hours ago, Kano in Manila said:

Can anyone help me out? I was going to wait on the K1 visa application but now I am considering just getting married in the Philippines. I am in Manila. I did not bring my birth certificate on this trip. I only have my passport and drivers license and ACR card. What are the logistics and timelines and options if I want to get married on this trip while I am here?

I have been researching this on my own but am just getting more and more confused. Sincere thanks in advance. 

Here is what I posted the other day. I got married there so this is first hand:

Getting married there is not as daunting as it seems. Here are my main suggestions.

1. Have her go to her LCR and ask what are the requirements to marry an American in the Philippines. The reason is that it does vary depending on where she lives. Every LCR has some different policies. Make sure she writes down every requirement and then read it back to verify. The reason for this is things are not very detail oriented there. You do not want to miss any requirements.

2. One requirement in all of the Philippines is that it takes 10 business days to get a marriage license. Plan on a 3 week trip since it will take 14 days to get your license. Even more if there is a holiday so make sure you know the Philippines holidays.

3. Last make sure she asks if there is an expedite process for your PSA marriage certificate. That will make it faster to apply for the CR1. If you do not ask, and pay the expedite fee it may take 6 months or so to get your official marriage certificate.

Your other option is an online Utah wedding. They are the only state that allows and has a process for online weddings. You can do this while you are together there or with you in USA and her in PH. You will need to be together in person during or after the wedding for you to be able to file for the CR-1

Now with that said, I am not sure all of the requirements for an online Utah wedding but if you search this forum for Utah wedding, you should find all that you need fairly easy as it has been discussed at length on this forum. If you do not have things like your birth certificate, do you at least have someone at home that can retrieve them and scan them to you?.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.