GoodenGod007

Will my girlfriend be denied entry for not listing me as a point of contact in the US on her application?

7 posts in this topic

My girlfriend (Brazilian) has renewed her visa and on her DS-160 form, her point of contact is a hotel in Florida that she plans to travel to with her family. We are planning for her to visit me but she didn’t list me as a point of contact on her application because her family was also renewing their visas and everyone told them to put down the same travel plans and points of contact so that their visas wouldn’t be denied by having different information on their visa forms. She is planning on visiting me in the US before she travels to the US with her family. We are worried that she would be denied at immigration due to not listing me as a point of contact on her visa application. Should she tell the CBP officer the truth that she is planning on staying with me when she comes to visit and could this be considered as misinterpretation by the CBP? She is only staying for twenty days in June but we are worried she will be denied entry and have her tourist visa cancelled for not mentioning me in the application. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, GoodenGod007 said:

My girlfriend (Brazilian) has renewed her visa and on her DS-160 form, her point of contact is a hotel in Florida that she plans to travel to with her family. We are planning for her to visit me but she didn’t list me as a point of contact on her application because her family was also renewing their visas and everyone told them to put down the same travel plans and points of contact so that their visas wouldn’t be denied by having different information on their visa forms. She is planning on visiting me in the US before she travels to the US with her family. We are worried that she would be denied at immigration due to not listing me as a point of contact on her visa application. Should she tell the CBP officer the truth that she is planning on staying with me when she comes to visit and could this be considered as misinterpretation by the CBP? She is only staying for twenty days in June but we are worried she will be denied entry and have her tourist visa cancelled for not mentioning me in the application. 

Always tell the truth. What strong ties does she have to Brazil? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, GoodenGod007 said:

Not really an issue.  Plans change when making travel arrangements.  It is a multi-entry/multi-year visa.  They do not expect you to list all possible places or limit you to the one place listed for all visits.

She does not have to state anything to CBP other than to answer their questions truthfully when asked.  Typically they will ask if the trip is for business or pleasure (pleasure) and how long she plans to visit (20 days).  They may ask where she will visit or who she will visit, and if so, reply she is visiting you.

2 hours ago, GoodenGod007 said:

So she deliberately omitted your name on the form where it asks who you know/who you're visiting in the US?

Personally, I don't think that's smart.  Such lies have come back to haunt people later on when pursuing other visas.

It also is not a great idea for her to lie at the border when they ask who she's visiting.

9 hours ago, GoodenGod007 said:

Every time I visited the US on my B2 I had to list the address I was going to stay at… if she is planning to stay with you on her next trip she should list your address on the necessary documents (just before she departs). 

She needs to tell the truth. Do not have her lie and state she is staying at a hotel if she is staying with you. what if the CBP officer asks to see a booking? What if the officer asks why is she traveling alone when she stated she would be traveling with her family? 
ETA: it was generally requested by the airline. I remember once the airline wouldn’t let me board my flight without giving the address I was planning to stay at.

Edited by Redro

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.