jajod13

Proposal in USA as a Canadian

4 posts in this topic

Hi all! 

I’m from Canada hoping to go propose to my American girlfriend next weekend in California. The ring is from Canada and is worth about $6000 CAD. I am driving over the border and flying from a Washington airport to visit her. I have a couple of questions:

1) Will I be allowed to this or would it be better to wait until she visits me?
2) Will I have to pay duty on the ring at the border when I cross? I could take it back home with me until she visits
3) what is the best way to declare the ring and my intentions at the border? I have employment in Canada, so reason to get back

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I cross borders a lot with my job. One 1st question, how does the Customs person know if your ring cost $500 or $6000? Do you need to tell everyone you paid the $6k? 

Just make sure everything is set to get through Customs. I personally wouldn’t worry any about the ring, don’t lose it.

I’m sure you can  look at the Customs website to find limits on goods & cash. I’ve taken/wore Rolex watches through Customs, no biggie. Now if one is trying to take 10 fakes to resell, that could be a problem.

I’m taking a ring international next weekend, not as high $$ as yours, but I have zero concerns. YMMV, shouldn’t though. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you do need to declare it 

That's right, the US doesn't impose any customs duty on gold coins, jewelry, medals, or bullion. Just remember to declare your precious cargo to CBP officers or fill out a FinCen105 form if your gold items are valued over $10k. That's all there is to it!Feb 5, 2024

BTW if she comes back to Canada to visit and wears it (or brings it)  she should register  it 

A dated copy of a jewelry appraisal, jewelry insurance policy or receipt can be used to prove ownership of the jewelry prior to your travels outside the United States. However, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may accept a photo taken of you with the jewelry in your possession prior to your travels.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-427?language=en_US#:~:text=A dated copy of a,possession prior to your travels.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.