USandMalaysia

Name on Green Card, SSC, Driver License and Passport

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi!

I have my married name on my Social Security and Driver license.

But on my Green card it is still showing my maiden name which matches my passport.

I never really thought about it until my employer requested for another copy of my Green card for record.

Do i need to update my GC? But my Malaysian passport it is still under my Maiden name. 

Edited by USandMalaysia
Additional information added.

Our IR-1 Journey

05/20/2016 : Submit our I130 packet

05/23/2016 : NOA1 by Email & Text

05/28/2016 : NOA1 Hardcopy

10/12/2016 : Transferred to Texas Service Centre

10/26/2016 : Approved!???

11/08/2016 : Case sent to Department of State

11/15/2016 : NVC Received

11/23/2016 : Case Number & IIN received (confirmed through phone)

11/23/2016 : Submit DS-261

11/25/2016 : Welcome Letter from NVC & AOS fee invoiced

11/26/2016. : Pay AOS Fee

12/01/2016 : IV fee invoiced

12/01/2016 : Pay IV fee

12/05/2016 : Submit DS-260 online

12/09/2016 : Mail AOS & IV packet

update GC = pay i-90 fee $540 + wait months / years

passport = u can use ur maiden name it doesnt matter, bring marriage certificate to show why ur name is not match. everything else : Social security + GC + DL = make it match

any reason why u have discrepancy on social security / DL  and GC? 

Edited by Verrou

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Verrou said:

update GC = pay i-90 fee $540 + wait months / years

passport = u can use ur maiden name it doesnt matter, bring marriage certificate to show why ur name is not match. everything else : Social security + GC + DL = make it match

any reason why u have discrepancy on social security / DL  and GC? 

Are there any timeline i must update my GC to match my SS and DL? My GC is expiring in 2027, so curious if i should just renew it later and update my name?

When i applied for my GC back in 2017, I put the name that matches my passport as I never change my married name in Malaysia since it is not customary to change name after marriage. But few years ago my husband and I bought our house so we decided to update my name to my married name. So I updated my SS and DL. 

Our IR-1 Journey

1 hour ago, USandMalaysia said:

Are there any timeline i must update my GC to match my SS and DL? My GC is expiring in 2027, so curious if i should just renew it later and update my name?

When i applied for my GC back in 2017, I put the name that matches my passport as I never change my married name in Malaysia since it is not customary to change name after marriage. But few years ago my husband and I bought our house so we decided to update my name to my married name. So I updated my SS and DL. 

no timeline or anything if u want to save money I guess u can wait. 

I'm just super OCD and wants everything in order (but that's me)

On 2/6/2024 at 10:33 AM, USandMalaysia said:

But on my Green card it is still showing my maiden name which matches my passport.

I never really thought about it until my employer requested for another copy of my Green card for record.

Let's stop here for a second... For I-9 verification you don't have to show your employer a GC.

If:

- You have an unrestricted Social Security card (no words such as Valid for work only with DHS authorization)

- The Social Security card is in married name

- You have valid Drivers License / State ID with married name

Then:

You could have just shown your DL/ID and Social Security card to your employer for I-9 verification. They cannot demand to see GC.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:33 AM, USandMalaysia said:

I have my married name on my Social Security and Driver license.

That's all you needed to show your employer for I-9, provided SS card is unrestricted.

Of course, update GC and passport to have your married name. GC through I-90 form and passport via consulate of your country.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
1 minute ago, OldUser said:

Let's stop here for a second... For I-9 verification you don't have to show your employer a GC.

If:

- You have an unrestricted Social Security card (no words such as Valid for work only with DHS authorization)

- The Social Security card is in married name

- You have valid Drivers License / State ID with married name

Then:

You could have just shown your DL/ID and Social Security card to your employer for I-9 verification. They cannot demand to see GC.

Oh! Interesting. 

My DL and Social Security have my married name and my social security is not restricted. So they wouldnt need my GC correct. Weird they asked for it. 

I have been with the company since 2017.

Our IR-1 Journey

3 minutes ago, USandMalaysia said:

Oh! Interesting. 

My DL and Social Security have my married name and my social security is not restricted. So they wouldnt need my GC correct. Weird they asked for it. 

I have been with the company since 2017.

It's HR being HR.

Here's manual - https://www.uscis.gov/book/export/html/59502

You can show List B + C documents to go through verification.

Good luck!

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

That's all you needed to show your employer for I-9, provided SS card is unrestricted.

Of course, update GC and passport to have your married name. GC through I-90 form and passport via consulate of your country.

Ill update my GC when its expired since it wont affect anything now. But for my passport, in my country it is not usual to change to married name. So I am not sure how its going to work as the passport must match our Malaysia Identification Card.

will it be a problem to have GC under my married name but passport under maiden name?

Our IR-1 Journey

31 minutes ago, USandMalaysia said:

will it be a problem to have GC under my married name but passport under maiden name?

Travel may be a problem. You'll have to book tickets in maiden name (as passport shows). This will conflict with GC in married name, meaning online check in may not be completed. You'd have to show both to airline staff plus copy of marriage certificate to explain discrepency.

Even if it's super difficult, it's best you update passport to show your married name.

Edited by OldUser

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Travel may be a problem. You'll have to book tickets in maiden name (as passport shows). This will conflict with GC in married name, meaning online check in may not be completed. You'd have to show both to airline staff plus copy of marriage certificate to explain discrepency.

Even if it's super difficult, it's best you update passport to show your married name.

In some countries, it's impossible to change the name in your passport to your married name.  Not sure about Malaysia though.

OP might want to analyze if it's worth the hassle of having mismatched documents, or if it's easier to keep her documents in her name. 

8 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

In some countries, it's impossible to change the name in your passport to your married name.  Not sure about Malaysia though.

OP might want to analyze if it's worth the hassle of having mismatched documents, or if it's easier to keep her documents in her name. 

Looks like it's not easy but doable:

https://medium.com/@suddentaitai/how-to-change-to-your-married-name-for-malaysians-b768354499b3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.