stag

Apply Early or Wait for Tax Document?

12 posts in this topic

So the window to apply is coming up pretty soon and at the same time we are almost ready to file taxes as well. The problem is to finish this year's taxes I need a document from my previous company which may arrive some days or even week after the window to apply is open. Of course we are including last year's tax returns in the I-751 packet along with bunch of other financial evidence, but do you think it's worth applying a little later but having the second tax return also ready to go? We do want to send the packet the day the window opens.

tl:dr worth to delay applying for I-751 (within allowed window of course) for including second joint tax return? thank you!

Edited by stag

Removal of Conditions (I-751)
2/17/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/20/24: I-751 packet delivered

2/22/24: Receipt Number available on USCIS Portal

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

Do not send the day window opens. Delay by few days to avoid rejection.

How long of a delay are you talking about for waiting for taxes? Few weeks? Sure. Longer - I'd file without it.

Oh interesting , so it's not good to send it the first day the window opens? Why would it get rejected?

As for the delay yeah could be a couple weeks, given nothing else comes up when filing. 

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

26 minutes ago, stag said:

Oh interesting , so it's not good to send it the first day the window opens? Why would it get rejected?

I wouldn't. My lawyer discouraged it too.

The problem is, if you miscalculated the date and petition arrives a little early - it will get rejected.

Adding a week will minimize this chance.

Fun fact, a friend of mine, who filed I-751 two weeks after me got approved 4-5 months earlier than me. Same service center. Neither of us had RFEs or interviews. So me sending earlier didn't get me there faster 😃

With current processing times, whether you file on the day or two weeks later - you'll probably be applying for N-400 with pending I-751 

Edited by OldUser

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I wouldn't. My lawyer discouraged it too.

The problem is, if you miscalculated the date and petition arrives a little early - it will get rejected.

Adding a week will minimize this chance.

Fun fact, a friend of mine, who filed I-751 two weeks after me got approved 4-5 months earlier than me. Same service center. Neither of us had RFEs or interviews. So me sending earlier didn't get me there faster 😃

With current processing times, whether you file on the day or two weeks later - you'll probably be applying for N-400 with pending I-751 

Yeah I just used the calculator on their site (http://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-calculator-for-form-i-751-filing-jointly-with-your-spouse) and the first day of the filing window falls on a Friday. So I've been supposing if I send it Friday afternoon they will probably receive it earliest by Monday, I get the point having a cushion though. The only reason I want to send it asap is because I've started collecting evidence, letters, and I don't want the dates on the evidence to be too old. E.g. I have a letter already that would be dated 2 weeks before I send the application. Though I also don't want to be collecting evidence at the last minute. 

22 minutes ago, stag said:

Yeah I just used the calculator on their site (http://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-calculator-for-form-i-751-filing-jointly-with-your-spouse) and the first day of the filing window falls on a Friday. So I've been supposing if I send it Friday afternoon they will probably receive it earliest by Monday, I get the point having a cushion though. The only reason I want to send it asap is because I've started collecting evidence, letters, and I don't want the dates on the evidence to be too old. E.g. I have a letter already that would be dated 2 weeks before I send the application. Though I also don't want to be collecting evidence at the last minute. 

Whether you mail it on Friday or following Monday it won't make a difference.

Evidence getting old is not a major concern. These cases lie on a shelf for 18-24 months before anyone looks at them.

Good luck! It's quite a journey, but it's a just another step :)

Edited by OldUser

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

Whether you mail it on Friday or following Monday it won't make a difference.

Evidence getting old is not a major concern. These cases lie on a shelf for 18-24 months before anyone looks at them.

Good luck! It's quite a journey, but it's a just another step :)

Yeah true - thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 hours ago, stag said:

So the window to apply is coming up pretty soon and at the same time we are almost ready to file taxes as well. The problem is to finish this year's taxes I need a document from my previous company which may arrive some days or even week after the window to apply is open. Of course we are including last year's tax returns in the I-751 packet along with bunch of other financial evidence, but do you think it's worth applying a little later but having the second tax return also ready to go? We do want to send the packet the day the window opens.

tl:dr worth to delay applying for I-751 (within allowed window of course) for including second joint tax return? thank you!

If you have other quality evidence, I wouldn't wait more than a couple weeks.  The 2023 tax return can be uploaded later or presented at an interview (if you are so "lucky").  As the others have said, wait a day or two into the 90 day window to submit the I-751 package.   Good luck.  It gets much, much easier after Removal of Conditions.  Keep your eye on the target----getting out of the grasp of USCIS!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Personally I wouldn't wait and just send everything out when your window opens. We're not quite decided on what to do with the 2023 return at this point, but might just upload it as unsolicited evidence once it has processed.

asdf

23 hours ago, ghostinthemachine said:

Personally I wouldn't wait and just send everything out when your window opens. We're not quite decided on what to do with the 2023 return at this point, but might just upload it as unsolicited evidence once it has processed.

Oh that's right, so it's possible to upload unsolicited evidence after submitting? just to the USCIS portal?

1 hour ago, stag said:

Oh that's right, so it's possible to upload unsolicited evidence after submitting? just to the USCIS portal?

Yep, should be at the bottom of your documents tab for the I-751 once it's been accepted.

Figured it can't really hurt uploading it there once we have the return transcript from the IRS. Either someone will look at it there and decide that's enough in combination with the paper submission or we'll bring it to a potential interview.

asdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.