GEOntificator

File I-130 for my brother or wait?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hi all! Long time VJ-yer here. I am a USC. I have never done much research on this topic myself and info that I found seems to be all over the place. Long story short I have a brother who is married with 2 kids (he is in his 30s). He lives in my home country outside of US. If I file I-130 for him now what is realistic time frame for his PD? 

Another seemingly important detail is that my mother who is in US currently filed I-485 (concurrent filing) and we are waiting for her application to be approved. Once she is an LPR is there a faster way for my brother? If so, by how much longer? 

If my mother naturalizes (5-6 years down the road) and then she petitions for my brother what does the wait look like? 

P.S. my brother's kids are 12 and 8. I assume by the time his PD rolls around via whichever way we choose to go kids will age out and this will add to the wait and complicate things more?

Thanks ahead of time!

Edited by kvito28

10 minutes ago, kvito28 said:

Hi all! Long time VJ-yer here. I am a USC. I have never done much research on this topic myself and info that I found seems to be all over the place. Long story short I have a brother who is married with 2 kids (he is in his 30s). He lives in my home country outside of US. If I file I-130 for him now what is realistic time frame for his PD? 

Another seemingly important detail is that my mother who is in US currently filed I-485 (concurrent filing) and we are waiting for her application to be approved. Once she is an LPR is there a faster way for my brother? If so, by how much longer? 

If my mother naturalizes (5-6 years down the road) and then she petitions for my brother what does the wait look like? 

P.S. my brother's kids are 12 and 8. I assume by the time his PD rolls around via whichever way we choose to go kids will age out and this will add to the wait and complicate things more?

Thanks ahead of time!

You can check out the current wait times on the Visa Bulletin - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html Note I say 'current', as it's likely to be much longer for those filing now but it gives you an idea at least.

Category F4 for you to petition him, and F3 for your mother to petition him once she's a citizen (there's no way for her to petition him as a LPR). Either way it's going to be a very long time so yes, it'll likely just be him and his wife.

Edited by appleblossom

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

You can check out the current wait times on the Visa Bulletin - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin.html Note I say 'current', as it's likely to be much longer for those filing now but it gives you an idea at least.

Category F4 for you to petition him, and F3 for your mother to petition him once she's a citizen (there's no way for her to petition him as a LPR). Either way it's going to be a very long time so yes, it'll likely just be him and his wife.

20-30 years +.

33 minutes ago, kvito28 said:

Not sure it is 20-30 but probably 15. 

Far longer than that. As I said above you can’t look at the dates in the VB and assume you’ll have the same wait as those who now have a visa available to them. 

Compare the VB above (this months) with an older one. For example, go back 2 years to Feb 2022. 

Currently the PD is April 2009 for F3 and May 2007 for F4. In February 2022 they were November 2008 and March 2007. Meaning that in 2 years they've only moved forward 5 months (F3) and 2 months (F4). 

So 20-30 years is probably a fair estimate. 

Edited by appleblossom

3 hours ago, kvito28 said:

Not sure it is 20-30 but probably 15. 

LOL, okay.   You asked, but you already know-  go for it!

Timeline
6 hours ago, SalishSea said:

LOL, okay.   You asked, but you already know-  go for it!

I sae that number from the link above. I am not an expert and not making this up. @appleblossom's comment clarified it now. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
17 hours ago, kvito28 said:

Thanks ahead of time!

I would expect the F4 to be the fastest route.

Sometime in the mid late 2050's would be a reasonable assumption. So essentially your Brother would be close to retirement.

Children will no doubt age out but they could well have their own families by then.

Best bet is to file it, diary for 20 years and then see how things are.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Oops India, I may be optimistic with my assumptions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, kvito28 said:

I sae that number from the link above. I am not an expert and not making this up. @appleblossom's comment clarified it now. 

The trouble is the amount of people that apply keeps increasing, hence why it moves so slowly and why you can't look at the PD of the people who are getting visas now and assume the same wait will apply to you - the line is just longer than when they applied 14 or so years ago. 

But all you can do is file asap so your brother gets his place in that line, and then as @Boiler said, essentially just forget about it for now. 

If the above is right, and your brother is from India, then it could well be even longer.

Good luck.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Oops India, I may be optimistic with my assumptions.

India? 

1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

The trouble is the amount of people that apply keeps increasing, hence why it moves so slowly and why you can't look at the PD of the people who are getting visas now and assume the same wait will apply to you - the line is just longer than when they applied 14 or so years ago. 

But all you can do is file asap so your brother gets his place in that line, and then as @Boiler said, essentially just forget about it for now. 

If the above is right, and your brother is from India, then it could well be even longer.

Good luck.

Definitely not India. Georgia.

Timeline
Just now, kvito28 said:

India? 

????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.