SouzaGarcia81

My K1 visa was issued today, long list of questions!

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Interesting, that was not the case for me in WA back in 2017, but things could certainly have changed since then or WA is just more lenient.

If EAD is deemed sufficient in MI one could argue that EAD by itself doesn't grant you lawful status, you're still just in authorized stay while I-485 is in process, but perhaps it's seen as good enough for DL in those states?

We forget how important it is to drive here in the States… or at least here in Michigan. You really need a car here to get around and keep a job. So, I can see why you’re issued a DL if you have work authorization. Work authorization without a DL is useless. There are no jobs I can do in my area within walking distance. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Redro said:

We forget how important it is to drive here in the States… or at least here in Michigan. You really need a car here to get around and keep a job. So, I can see why you’re issued a DL if you have work authorization. Work authorization without a DL is useless. There are no jobs I can do in my area within walking distance. 

Different state different time but when I came in my State the wording was vague and it seemed I could drive for a year with my DL.

They changed it to 90 days when everything was redrafted, and now it says 30 days.

EAD was the first thing I got that was on their list but back then I think I got it in 6 weeks so not really an issue. I assume K1s are a small minority and I doubt that they drive any of the rules.

When I was in the DMV there was a lady ahead of me who was trying to get a DL based on her having a J but on that trip had entered on a B, with language etc issues I do not think the guy was explaining it well and was tempted to step in, but did not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

It seems many states have started getting pretty picky on things.

I think many more of them are beginning to rely heavily on SAVE Verification.  If you're not in the system, no go.  If you're in the system and lawful for 30 days, all you get is 30 days.  It's annoying, but as Crazy Cat has outlined on many occasions, there are advantages and disadvantages to CR/IR and K visa types, so choosing carefully is paramount!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.