valinor

Front Loading For Peru

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Greetings. Before I begin I first wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone in this community for the invaluable knowledge that is freely shared so that everyday people like me have confidence when taking their first steps on the US immigration journey. Without this forum I know that I would not have the slightest clue on where to begin but throughout my lurking for almost a year at this point I now have a pretty solid grasp (or so I like to think) on the process and what to expect, and for that I thank you. I look forward to sharing my fiancée and I's journey with you all, and hopefully it will serve to help others who embark on this journey in the future just as all of you have helped me.

With that out of the way, I had one question. My fiancée and I met in person in Peru for the first time in March 2023. I will be going back to visit her for a second time in March of this year during which time we will be getting the necessary things together so that I can send in the I-129F upon my return to the US. My question is this: Is Peru one of the countries where front loading the application is recommended? If so I would like to start getting all of that together so that the process of sending it in is smooth and easy. Thank you all for your time and input.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

‘Front loading for Peru’?  I’m not an expert, sorry, but doing the 129F it seems to me one fills it out as the detailed instructions dictate, Peru or wherever. Nothing wrong with sending more than the minimum, pictures, proof of visit, etc..

With the visit last year, do you have enough for a completed 129F now? I’m not talking frivolous, but the requirements for properly filled form? I ask because after filing the timeline isn’t short, you could start clicking off weeks & months.

One needs to print off the instructions for the 129F, with the form, and start. Hold the signature & date(don’t forget) until completion. The complete package, in the folder takes time, collecting info.

Back to ‘front loading’, I hear talk of a little extra with a package, not sure have different Peru could be. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I don't believe Peru is a high-fraud country where frontloading (I assume you just mean sending lots and lots of evidence) is super necessary. I think you can send the package with evidence that you have met, boarding passes/passport stamps, a couple pictures, some messages or chats and you will be fine. And that is what most people send no matter the country of origin. 

I will echo widude and say that you can already go ahead and file, no need to wait until march. You have already compelted the "met within the last two years" requirement. The additional visit will be more relevant and necessary when they have the interview. 

And I will make the obligatory reccomendation (that is the reccomendation of almost everyone on this forum) that you should really consider the CR-1 spousal visa. K-1 and CR-1 take around the same time to be approved (1.5-2 years), but CR-1 you get residency on arrival to the US, and don't have to do AOS before receiving green card (another 6 months to a year, and april this year they are raising the fees). You could even get married when you visit this March and then file for spousal visa. You can always do some sort of legal marriage and do a bigger ceremony later on. 

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and Online Reciept Notice: 2023-06-04 

NOA1 Recieved in Mail (with recieved date as 06-04-2023): 2023-06-10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I've not heard that Lima has been a difficult consulate.

However, it NEVER hurts to front-load a little.

Add a few items that confirm your bona fide relationship with the beneficiary.

This would include selected texts or chats.

(Do NOT send anything in which you, even in fun, refer to each other as "husband/wife"!)

You could consider constructing a "relationship timeline" of key dates and occurrences.

The reason to front-load is to ensure that the consulate can't deny seeing anything that USCIS has seen.

This happened to several of my contemporaries at the [censored] Guayaquil consulate.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
On 1/31/2024 at 4:15 AM, widude said:

‘Front loading for Peru’?  I’m not an expert, sorry, but doing the 129F it seems to me one fills it out as the detailed instructions dictate, Peru or wherever. Nothing wrong with sending more than the minimum, pictures, proof of visit, etc..

With the visit last year, do you have enough for a completed 129F now? I’m not talking frivolous, but the requirements for properly filled form? I ask because after filing the timeline isn’t short, you could start clicking off weeks & months.

One needs to print off the instructions for the 129F, with the form, and start. Hold the signature & date(don’t forget) until completion. The complete package, in the folder takes time, collecting info.

Back to ‘front loading’, I hear talk of a little extra with a package, not sure have different Peru could be. 

Unfortunately I am still missing the required letters of intent. I did not think to do that (or the passport photos) on the last visit. I have read on this site that a wet signature is better so I was going to get all those things on this upcoming visit. I wish I had the forethought to get everything then as if I had we would be a year into the process! Hindsight is 20/20.

On 2/1/2024 at 12:26 PM, garebear397 said:

I don't believe Peru is a high-fraud country where frontloading (I assume you just mean sending lots and lots of evidence) is super necessary. I think you can send the package with evidence that you have met, boarding passes/passport stamps, a couple pictures, some messages or chats and you will be fine. And that is what most people send no matter the country of origin. 

I will echo widude and say that you can already go ahead and file, no need to wait until march. You have already compelted the "met within the last two years" requirement. The additional visit will be more relevant and necessary when they have the interview. 

And I will make the obligatory reccomendation (that is the reccomendation of almost everyone on this forum) that you should really consider the CR-1 spousal visa. K-1 and CR-1 take around the same time to be approved (1.5-2 years), but CR-1 you get residency on arrival to the US, and don't have to do AOS before receiving green card (another 6 months to a year, and april this year they are raising the fees). You could even get married when you visit this March and then file for spousal visa. You can always do some sort of legal marriage and do a bigger ceremony later on. 

I did mention the benefits of the CR-1 vs. the K1 to her but she said that she did not want to start a marriage with being separated to which I agree. I really do envy the people who are able to do the marriage visa and wait out the process with their spouse in the foreign country. On the bright side it just gives me more time to save enough to eat the increased cost of the AOS.

23 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

I've not heard that Lima has been a difficult consulate.

However, it NEVER hurts to front-load a little.

Add a few items that confirm your bona fide relationship with the beneficiary.

This would include selected texts or chats.

(Do NOT send anything in which you, even in fun, refer to each other as "husband/wife"!)

You could consider constructing a "relationship timeline" of key dates and occurrences.

The reason to front-load is to ensure that the consulate can't deny seeing anything that USCIS has seen.

This happened to several of my contemporaries at the [censored] Guayaquil consulate.

Thank you for your input. I didn't think Lima was an overly tough consulate either especially if the USC attends the interview but I wanted confirmation. I will follow your advice and front load anyway just to be safe. In regards to the calling each other husband/wife, I made sure to let her know to not use that word because I have read stories on this forum where, even if said casually, it could be a death sentence for this petition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.