Roy1213

k1 use asset for i-134 financial

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Best to file taxes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
52 minutes ago, mole said:

do you means if petitioner have lot of cash they wont ask for tax return?

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

No

I was under them impression that  cash and assets can be used in lieu of a tax return. I'm sure say a millionaire who hasn't worked in years wouldn't need to show tax return

Income isn't a requirement. Only proof to support it. Income is just a form of proof to support

Timeline
6 hours ago, mole said:

do you means if petitioner have lot of cash they wont ask for tax return?

In the I-134 declaration of support instructions, it tells you what evidence to submit. It uses the words "as appropriate", meaning you only use evidence that support your financial claims. If your sponsor is wealthy enough without income, theoretically they don't need to show a tax return. But they will have to show cash / assets of 3 or 5 times higher from what I've read on the internet (I don't remember seeing a government document point to this).

Screenshot_20240124_083914_Samsung Notes.jpg

Timeline
8 hours ago, happyscrub said:

I was under them impression that  cash and assets can be used in lieu of a tax return. I'm sure say a millionaire who hasn't worked in years wouldn't need to show tax return

Income isn't a requirement. Only proof to support it. Income is just a form of proof to support

Yes they would, how are they getting their Million not subject to tax?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Yes they would, how are they getting their Million not subject to tax?

Retired. Assets. Longterm stocks. I myself bought stocks in 2022 that I haven't touched at all in 2023. They wouldn't be relected in a 2023 tax return

1 hour ago, happyscrub said:

Retired. Assets. Longterm stocks. I myself bought stocks in 2022 that I haven't touched at all in 2023. They wouldn't be relected in a 2023 tax return

So where did the funds come from to buy the stocks? There should have been some taxable event, be it income or proceeds of selling other stocks? Unless all of it is in Roth IRA and you're over 59 and 1/2?

Joint sponsor may be recommended, but also USCIS will be interested in your taxes as main sponsor, regardless. That's how the government indirectly forces people to file taxes. If you need to file $0 return, you always can. Else you'll have to write a statement why you didn't have to file taxes.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.